Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #1

New KEY, valet, blank????

Hello all
I got tthe boxster with just one key, Im really afraid of ever losing, locking the key and want to have a second copy just in case.
What would be the cost, and the best way to have a second key.
I've heard about getting a valet key, or sometimes being able to buy a blank key, but then how much is it normally to get it.
thanks

sosamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You can buy new or used, but when you buy a used key make sure it has the white tag so the dealer can program it. A new/used remote key runs anywhere from $100-250.
One of the things I did was call around to local locksmiths, and found one with a laser key cutter. I had him duplicate my key for $40. The catch is that since it doesn't have the electronic head, if I ever try and start the car with it the car will immobilize. But is great to keep in my wallet or for when I go to the beach.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #3

I've got 1.5 keys for mine.

I have two remote keys. Both will unlock the car manually, and both will start the car, but only one will unlock it with the remote.

I'm looking for a valet head-only. If I can swap the metal part and the immobilizer chip (which works), then I'd have one good remote key and one good valet key (which would fit in my wallet. the broken-remote key doesn't fit in the wallet)
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #4

Valet key

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311
I've got 1.5 keys for mine.

I have two remote keys. Both will unlock the car manually, and both will start the car, but only one will unlock it with the remote.

I'm looking for a valet head-only. If I can swap the metal part and the immobilizer chip (which works), then I'd have one good remote key and one good valet key (which would fit in my wallet. the broken-remote key doesn't fit in the wallet)
Maybe that's a dumb question, but what keeps the the valet parking guy from pressing the release button for the trunks from inside the car? Are they blocked with no key/the valet key inserted?
miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #5

The problem with this is that you cannot open up a valet key head in order to swap the chip from your non-working remote.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #6

Thanks Tool Pants.

Hmmm... I'm pretty resourceful at opening things. If I can determine that the chip is the same size and where it's located, I might have to dig it out, stuff the other one in and then plastic-weld the thing closed again. (I have a motorcycle shop... thus... also have a plastic welder = glorified soldering iron with adjustable temperature settings). I don't know if I can stomach another trip to Redwood City. (though they are nice guys)
Old 12-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I have a used key from my 99',functions perfectly. I will sell it you for a decent price.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
The problem with this is that you cannot open up a valet key head in order to swap the chip from your non-working remote.
It worked. I was able to swap the chip from my large key head with a dead remote, to the valet key that I ordered from Sunset.

There is a plug that can be popped out, then I scraped out some glue, then ended up drilling a tiny hole that allowed me to push the un-programmed chip out from behind. I slid the chip from my dead remote-key into the valet key head and secured it with a little silicone, then pushed the plug back in. I tested it tonight, works great.

Now instead of one working remote key and one broken remote key, I have one working remote key and one valet key that stays in my wallet all the time in case I lock the remote key in the trunk.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #9

Clever. I would not have thought of a way of getting the chip out of a new valet key and putting in a programed chip without screwing it up.

For others, this is the chip, which is easy to remove from the remote.

I guess you could implant that chip in a finger and impress your friends....

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote