Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #1

Detailing the Boxster

I spent some time this weekend detailing my '02 Basalt Black Box. I wanted to share my technique and a few pictures of the results.

The steps:

1 - WASH - I washed with Dawn using a Viking wash mitt.
2 - CLAY - This was the hardest part. I cut my clay into a bunch of small pieces, then flattened it into the size of about a silver dollar. Then using quick detailing spray from Zaino, I wet the surface of the car & slide the clay back and forth until the paint was totally smooth. The paint tells you when your done. I washed the car again with Zaino car wash to remove the clay residue.
3 - POLISH - I used Manzerna (spelling) Intense Polish on my Random Orbit Buffer with a yellow cutting pad. I would buff it on at a slow speed to spread, then work the buffer up to higher RPM (5+ out of 6). I wiped the dryed polish off with microfibre towels. I protected the top from the overspray as best I could!
4 - FINISH POLISH - Similar to above, but used Zaino Z-PC with a white pad. It spreads easier and is generally easy to work with a white pad.
5 - SEALANT. I mixed about 1.5 ounces of Z5 with Zaino's accelerant. Then I wiped it on with a small terrycloth pad. It goes on in minutes. 30 minutes later buff off with microfibre towels. Then I used the Quick Detailer again to wipe the car down. This takes literally seconds.
6 - Repeat step 5.
7 - Repeat step 5 again.

Thats it! Although I do expect to do a top coat tonight of Z2. It goes on so easy, why not?

All motions are forward/back on the hood & rear. Up/down only on the side.

The car's paint is unbelievable smooth. Hard to describe. It feels cold and almost "soft". Its not soft -- there just is none of the usual roughness at all. 4 hours all in, and DEFINITELY worth the effort. Basalt black just glows. NO SWIRL MARKS AT ALL!!!

I still need to improve how clean my wheels are -- any advise on how to get lingering dirt (brake pad reside) off the INSIDE of the wheels? The usual soft brush and even wheel cleaner didn't work...

By the way, notice how the air intake & bumperettes are "body color" on a black car. I actually like the way the remaining amber looks... but feel free to comment on that too if you must!

Pictures attached. I hope this thread inspires you to do this! Its worth the effort. By the way, I am a total novice. Its really easier than you think. Did I mention that there are no swirl marks?

fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
bmussatti

Very nice!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Very Nice!
But,
What happened to your rear bumper? It looks distorted right above the license plate.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Very Nice!
But,
What happened to your rear bumper? It looks distorted right above the license plate.

Interesting. Maybe the heat from the exhaust caused some morning condensation? The bumper itself is just fine.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #5

It appears that your daughter (???) is not really too excited about starring in your polishing portfolio.......Nice work, just don't know I could do that each time....seems to get dirty and dusty JUST SITTING STILL. I have the same exterior color and I washed and waxed this weekend, moved the car, and within about 30 mins there was a layer of pollen and dust already on the car.......and yes, I live in the city, not country bushhogging going on nearby....black is EXTREMELY hard to keep clean.....how often do you wash and wax?
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #6

Mike,

Your car looks awesome ! Great job !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee
It appears that your daughter (???) is not really too excited about starring in your polishing portfolio...

Nice work, just don't know I could do that each time...how often do you wash and wax?

The ironic thing is that she's disappointed because she thinks she's NOT in the picture.

This is a once a year detailing. I doubt that I wash any more regularly than the next person-- just twice a week, right? I agree Basalt Black is a tough color. That is why you need to clean it really well & take some pictures to remember what it looks like the one time a year its actually clean...

The wheels really bug me though -- couldn't get them clean enough.

Thanks for your comments.