Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 08:03 AM   #1

working with touch up paint

okay, I must confess that while I was removing my side vents (a ridiculous process) I scratched my paint....the great thing is that the vent once in place will cover 95% of the scratch.....the bad thing is the vents are such a pain to get in and out that the box has been sidelined and not driven on the 2 nicest days chicago has seen in a while...

okay back to the point, the touch up aint came in and I'm picking it up today....what do you guys recommend in terms of using it...is it just open and paint like a wall or are there some prepping steps I should know about?

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
depending on how deep it is man.
but the main thing is that you want the area that you will be touching up to be as clean as possible, meaning clean it 5 times to make sure that it really is clean.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:13 AM   #3

I can see some silver....its a thin straight line....ugly when it happened...not as ugly when I moved away from it a couple days later and got over my initial anger/frustration
Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #4

Your dealer might do it for you. My BMW dealer offered to do mine for me...

Supposed to be a quick, easy process.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Your dealer might do it for you. My BMW dealer offered to do mine for me...

Supposed to be a quick, easy process.
hmmmmm....the only thing is that I don't think I can drive it without the vent on....the side it happened on has the opening and a vent I presume goes straight to the engine....the driver side is completely walled off and I think that is where the snorkel is.....so if I drive it, I think stuff can go in to the engine = bad....
Old 04-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #6

Oh, I must not have read it well.

Yeah, I wouldn't go to your dealer with the car like that
Old 04-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
hmmmmm....the only thing is that I don't think I can drive it without the vent on....the side it happened on has the opening and a vent I presume goes straight to the engine....the driver side is completely walled off and I think that is where the snorkel is.....so if I drive it, I think stuff can go in to the engine = bad....

Try lying a bubble free coat of the touch up paint over the scratched/clean surface, then if maybe you have a squegy thats its really good condition you can make a light pass over the paint and hopefully the resigual paint will wipe free and only paint left over would be inside the scratch.... it sounds mickey mouse enough to work! haha

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
look up glanka <- i hope i spelled that right
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #9

Not rocket science boys and girls... Best advice is to clean the surface.
Then take a match torn from a paper match book and sparingly apply the
paint with a smooth stroke.

Keep a paper towel nearby in case you dont like the first try. You can wipe
it clean and start again. White is a tough touch up color. It can be milky at times.
You may want to apply one coat and let it sit for a few hours and then come back with the money shot.

Obviously, make sure it is a scratch first. If your fingernail catches it then it is a scratch and requires paint. If not, try a compound.

Best of luck.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #10

Super,

Here's a slightly modified version of a touch-up post I wrote some time ago. If you really want an invisible repair, this is one way to accomplish it.

You're going to find that the brushes supplied with the touch up paint are waaaay too big. You'll want to find a couple of 000 artist brushes. You can get them at any hobby shop or Michael's Crafts, someplace like that.

First, be certain that no rust has started to form in the scratch. Look carefully. If rust has begun to form, use a fiberglass pen to clean the scratch out first. You can find them at Eastwood.

As far as the color coat goes, you just want to get enough in the scratch to cover the metal, or primer. Be certain to allow the base-coat plenty of time to dry, and try not to allow the car to get wet during this period.

Next, fill the scratch with the clear until the clear rises slightly above the level of the manufacturer's clear coat. This may take several coats of paint. Allow this to dry for a week or so.

Next, Get some brand new pencils with erasers, a sheet of 1200 and/or 1500 grit sandpaper and plenty of water. Cut tiny round pieces of the sandpaper and glue them to the pencil erasers (the sandpaper circles should be the same size as the pencil eraser. I find it easier to glue a piece sandpaper on first and then trim it to size). Wet the surface of the vehicle in the area of the scratch, and particularly the scratch itself. What you want to do is lightly sand the clear over the scratch down to the exact level of the manufacturer's clear-coat. Take your time and check your work often. Be sure to keep the surface wet at all times (except when you're checking your work. When checking your work, dry the area so that you can clearly see what you're doing). When you are satisfied that you have flattened the clear down completely without cutting into the manufacturer's clear-coat, stop. The surface you've sanded will be very dull and flat.

Next, you will need to polish this area to regain the shine and blend the repair. I use 3M's Finesse-It II. You can successfully polish the repair by hand, but you'll be far more successful going with a buffer. Polish the area until the shine comes back. If you're an amateur with a buffer, be sure to read all you can about buffing and burning through your paint. This can happen extremely fast and be very ugly. If you're not comfortable, let a detailer rub it out for you. Another option is a random orbital buffer which will be much more forgiving.

Once you are done with the polish, run over the area with a good swirl mark remover to take out any buffer marks, wax with your favorite wax and you're done!
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
look up glanka <- i hope i spelled that right
Did you mean "Langka?"
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
Did you mean "Langka?"
this spelling worked a lot better! thanks for the advice guys....I'm looking into a couple options and hope to have this bad boy washed and showed off with fresh pics on saturday....fingers majorly crossed
Old 04-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #13
fab

I never had good luck w/touch up paint. Having said that, if that happened to me I would take it to a professional shop.
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #14

touch up paint repair kit
anyone tried this before? Does it work?

n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote