Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2024, 10:49 PM   #1

Spring / strut combination

The rear suspension of my car (986 base) is now apart. I'll fit the 987 knuckle and have ordered new brakes and suspension arms to go along with it.

So now the attention goes to the spring /strut. It seems most of the suspension needs to be taken apart to replace the strut or spring, so better to do it now. It will be more expensive in the future.

From my research on this forum / the internet it seems the M030 suspension is the right combo of not really lowering the car, but firming it up. A few questions on this;

- Will the 986 springs fit the 987 struts (which I need to go into the 987 knuckle)?
- There are different color code springs for the M030. I assume mainly due to slight weight difference of the cars. For me I guess the Boxster S 6-speed springs would be right. (I will move to Audi V8 with 987 6-speed gearbox, should be close in weight to Boxster S?) Any other thing to look out for on color code?
- Strut wise, Bilstein B6 or Koni Active?

I will need to mix and match a bit due to my car not being a base 986 anymore. But I do want to stay at something which is nicely balanced, hence the detail questions.

Marc_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 12:04 PM   #2

Sorry, this post ended up in the wrong thread. Reposted to right location.,

Last edited by Marc_986; 04-28-2024 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:46 PM   #3

Yesterday I picked up a set of M030 springs for the Boxster S. Today the 987 Bilstein B6 rear struts arrived and I put the parts together this evening. The combination fits well, so I have no worries to fix this to the car.

The disassembly of the old parts did show me that the strut mount is worn out (it has cracks in the rubber which I can open up with a screwdriver through the center), so they'll have to be replaced as well.

The good thing is that it completes the rear suspension rebuild, all fresh parts on there once everything is put together. I'll post some pictures. For now I still need to check the brake lines as the 987 knuckles have a different mounting position for the short piece of hard brake line at the caliper. I don't really understand why the brake hose doesn't go directly to the caliper, but oh well.