View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 01:58 PM   #5
Ronzi

Excuse me for a moment while I climb up on my soap box.
ANYBODY THAT BUYS A LATE MODEL CAR WITH ANYTHING BUT AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION IS FREAKING NUTS. En you utz, nuts.
That includes the Boxster, the ultimate sports car.
Why anyone would want to row a car, any car, through the traffic of a metropolitan area with a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission is something I simply cannot fathom. For an aerobic workout, maybe, but that's it. The Tipper in a Boxster makes driving fun again, even in traffic as thick as the hair on a dog's back.
Many people observe, as you did, that a Tipper-equipped Boxster feels sluggish. It does...but that's because unless you shift it into manual mode and specifically downshift to 1st, it starts out in 2ND GEAR!
Put that booger in 1st and mash the go pedal and it will come out of the hole like a scalded cat, probably shifting itself into second at about 6,300 before you can even punch the upshift button.
Is there a performance difference between the manual and the Tip? Absolutely, and undeniably. It's about a half-second 0 to 60, and factory quoted top speed of a 2.5 Boxster is 149 for the manual and 146 for the Tip. The last time I exceeded 140 mph on the highway was, well, gee...never.

My over-the-top comments aside, I would urge you not to sell the Tiptronic short, and don't be swayed by the stick-only bigots. If you like/want/need a car with an automatic transmission, the Tiptronic is one of the best on the market. Porsche engineers themselves say it is their best and most reliable transmission.
One other thing. The best selling version of the 911 is the Cabriolet with a Tiptronic.
Ronzi
'99 Boxster (Tiptronic)
Speed Yellow/Black
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote