Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #1

Make Your Boxster Noise Free

I make a product that will make your driving a lot more enjoyable
www.jaysenoffwindscreens.com
How do I advertise it on this fourm?
Jay

asenoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #2

lol.. these were those silly things we were all laughing at on ebay a couple months ago.. some lexan cut to fill the holes in windscreens behind the seats held in with a nifty silver bolt.. YECH
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #3

Ghetto!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #4

Smile

Actually, I would try one of these. Lets face it, the OEM is totally cheesy and is noisy to boot!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Actually, I would try one of these. Lets face it, the OEM is totally cheesy and is noisy to boot!
Seems like adding the plastic inside of it could cause it to blow out, best to velcro it.
I'm sure it would be easy to make the part yourself.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:57 AM   #6

$78??? Wow. You are indeed proud of this little enhancement.

I think I'll make myself a template and go down to the local Lexan reseller and make myself a pair of them for $12.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:37 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
This is hilarious -- did you guys see his "guarantee" which is, in his own words, legally binding? It reads:

Mr. ______________________has on this day paid for a set of Jay Senoff's Porsche Boxster windscreens.

It is agreed that the purchaser may return to me, within thirty days from date of receiving the windscreen.

With this certificate properly signed , I will return the all monies paid as cheerfully as I took it. ______________

The second paragraph merely states that you're allowed to see him again (it says you can return to him, not that you can return a product to him)...

...and the third paragraph says that if the certificate is "properly" signed (I guess properly must mean that you use your hand instead of your foot to hold the pen?), he will return ALL MONIES PAID. Wow, that's great -- all monies paid by whom to whom? By me to my mortgage company? Awesome! By the entire US population to the IRS? Even better!

This is awesome... I needed a good Monday morning laugh. Thanks, Jay!
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:54 AM   #8

I know people like 'modding' cars, but this kind of silliness is killing me

Unfortunately, in the past, i've had one of my windscreens blow out WITHOUT a piece of lexan in there to turn it into a parachute! Either way, some really wild claims about silence.. A sucker born every minute I guess.
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prOk
I know people like 'modding' cars, but this kind of silliness is killing me

Unfortunately, in the past, i've had one of my windscreens blow out WITHOUT a piece of lexan in there to turn it into a parachute! Either way, some really wild claims about silence.. A sucker born every minute I guess.
If I wanted a quiet car with no wind noise I would not have bought a ragtop.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #10

My understanding of aerodynamics is that the air comes over the windshield, above the cabin and then around, hitting the deflector from behind as it were. So I'm not sure if hole-less deflectors would be more inclined to blow off, as some comments below imply.

That being said, I've never seen a windscreen element on any car, that crossed the width of the vehicle, not have "holes", including BMW (the six series using a small solid windbreak), Merc, Audi, Porsche. This leads me to believe there is a reason not to have unperforated wind deflection. I'd be curious if any of the engineer types on the board would know why that is.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #11

Smile

Not sure if this seller offers money back returns.

If so, easy way to check it out.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #12
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
My understanding of aerodynamics is that the air comes over the windshield, above the cabin and then around, hitting the deflector from behind as it were. So I'm not sure if hole-less deflectors would be more inclined to blow off, as some comments below imply.

That being said, I've never seen a windscreen element on any car, that crossed the width of the vehicle, not have "holes", including BMW (the six series using a small solid windbreak), Merc, Audi, Porsche. This leads me to believe there is a reason not to have unperforated wind deflection. I'd be curious if any of the engineer types on the board would know why that is.
You're right, in general, as to what's happening with the airstream. The blockers keep the air that's made it's way over your head and separated from the body of the car from coming back and hitting you from behind. The passenger's are basically in a "dead air pocket". (FYI: This happens to be the same behavior that makes it more aerodynamic to keep the liftgate on a pickup truck up. Dropping it down or adding an "Airgate" hurts drag coefficient or at least doesn't help, but that's another story).

The airstream constantly changes with speed as you might imagine. The faster you go, the lower the "pocket" gets. Back behind the windscreen, the air is making big circles as it's spinning between the tonneau, the windscreen, and the free moving air above the screen.

The key here is that faster moving air has a lower pressure than slower moving air and non-moving air will be at the highest pressure. (Bernoulli's Principle) So there will be a pressure difference between the non-moving air in the cabin and the swirling/moving air behind the screen. If the screen is big enough, this pressure can turn into a fairly large force pushing the screen out of the cabin. The holes in the windscreens help to reduce the presure difference by letting some air from the cabin "bleed" into the air behind the screen and also reduce the overall area of the screen, both reducing the force on the screen.

Because the holes are small, the overall screen is still doing a good job of blocking the backflowing air. Without the holes, not only would the roll bar screens have more of a tendancy to pop out at speed, but the overall pressure in the cabin would be higher and would tend to push the middle screen off as well.

As to the ones without holes. They are either held in place better or the airflow is such that this phenomena is less pronounced.

Last edited by blue2000s; 10-11-2006 at 01:34 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
im pretty sure it was easier and cheaper for porsche to cut a regualr piece and put it in there, but they decided to put one with the holes. so theres something to think about.

Last edited by djomlas; 10-13-2006 at 09:00 AM.
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:38 PM   #14

Blue, thanks for the informative write-up !

DJ, umm...right on !

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:15 AM   #15

Talking Windscreen, Windblocker etc

I have been makeing windscreens for 9 different cars for the past 8 years. I drove my 67 911 T for 17 years and haven't had any contact with Porsche for the last 25 years. When I was on a trip to California last year, my daughter who has has a Boxster asked me to drive her car. Said is was windy and noisy when she drove. It had a windscren installed. After taking a ride with her I saw the problem and it was the grills that was causing the problem. I took one of her grills home with me and made the windblocker. I have sold a couple of hundered on E bay so far. Sure you can make one yourself, but no one before me has done so. I give a complete 100% money back guarantee for any reason. Check out my feedback on E bay under "blueridgejay" My windblocker can't be blown out by the wind. Held in by a nut and self locking bolt. Try it, You will love driving your Boxster with it installed.
Jay Senoff
asenoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:01 AM   #16

Wow, tough crowd! It would seem to me at the very least by being a sponser on this site he is indeed supporting this site, I may be wrong, as I am new to this, but maybe we should give him the benefit and try his product or lay off. IMHO
og57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:31 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by og57
Wow, tough crowd! It would seem to me at the very least by being a sponser on this site he is indeed supporting this site, I may be wrong, as I am new to this, but maybe we should give him the benefit and try his product or lay off. IMHO

The comments were all made before the gentleman was a site sponsor.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:07 AM   #18

Smile

It would be good if one of our REGULARS who frequent this site could obtain this product and write a review.

Any takers?

Good luck Jay!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Maybe Jay should send a member on this board a free set to evaluate and do a write up after a week of use?

I seem to remember that being done for a much more expensive exhaust system, and I do think that vendor profited from the positive write up.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 AM   #20
boggtown

I used to have a full lexan windscreen for my BMW, I could nto have simply cut it out because it had bent ridges for reinforcement. It was securely velcroed so blowing out was not a problem. I think that if something were to be done to keep the windscreen in for a boxster it would have to be either taped in, velcroed, or my favorite... designed to have been pushed in from the front and not the rear.

And im not putting those things on my car so someone else volunteer, lol. Oh ya, I know of a cheaper and less conspicous way to get the same effect as those lexan pieces.... Its called saran wrap. If you just cut some saran wrap to shape and put it in the inside of the windscreen with maybe a little adhesive around the edges youd fill all the holes for free and you can just rip it out if you dont want it anymore.

Last edited by boggtown; 02-22-2007 at 06:11 AM.