Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Hardtop Convert

I've been casually looking for a hardtop for a couple of months. My 986 isn't a daily driver nor is the winter weather in CLT bad enough to really require a hardtop. I wanted one for a few reasons: 1) I like to travel in my car and will feel better leaving it in hotel parking lots, etc. with the added security from the hardtop. 2) I believe I will drive the car more frequently without worrying about getting bird poop and other contaminants on my gray softtop. 3) It is fun to be able to change the character of the car in a couple of minutes.

I personally like the look of the car with the top down best, then with the convertible top up and lastly with the hardtop on. Having said that, the look of the hartop is slowly growing on me.

I had already ordered the hardware needed to attach the hardtop because I knew I would be getting one someday. I actually installed the spinlocks on Tuesday, closed the deal with the seller on Thursday, and picked up the top yesterday (Friday). I drove from Charlotte, NC to Bordentown, NJ and back in the same day. I left home at 2:30 am and arrived back at 11:58 pm. I was stuck in bad traffic in MD/D.C./VA for a couple of hours; otherwise I would have been home around 10:30 pm. The round trip was 1130 miles. I only averaged 60 mph (due to all of the stop & go traffic) but did get 31.5 mpg!

The car ran flawlessly. Fortunately for me I fit well in the Boxster seats. This is by far the longest trip I've done in the Boxster and maybe the longest trip I've ever done in one day. I spent approximately 45 minutes with the seller and then was on my way back. I felt surprisingly good after so much seat time.

The seller and I put the top on without any fine tuning. It locked into place and I was on my way. I spent some time this morning adjusting the top and have it fitting much better. I will let it settle for some weeks and fine tune it a little more. I can see where it needs a little adjusting although I don't think most will notice. The view out the rear window is great when compared to the glass window on my GAHH top. I also immediately noticed that the engine/exhaust/air intake noises seem to be enhanced. These noises sound really good with the hardtop on. Anyone else with a hardtop notice this? The stock stereo (I do have PNP rear speakers and a 996 6-channel amp) also sounds a lot better with the hardtop on.

I paid more for the top than I had planned, but feel fortunate to have found a Biarritz white top in good condition. I may could have found a cheaper top in the wrong color and had it painted. I think I would probably have equaled what I paid for this top and now I don't have to worry about quality of the paint work and color match.

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
nice man, looks great, i would never b able to tell that it came from a diff car.
and as for the sound, well the stock system jsut sux, but it is better than with soft top.
the only thing that i dont like about my hardtop is when ther is some body flex all the plastic makes anoying noise as parts touch eachother.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page

Last edited by djomlas; 01-13-2007 at 03:14 PM.
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #3

i have the same wheels painted.. looks good the combo blk/white
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
djomlas:

Thanks... The top was filthy when I picked it up. It had been stored and had a nice layer of dust on it. I cleaned it off quickly before I hit the road just to get me home. I spent quite a bit of time cleaning on it today and it turned out well.

clb0099:

I am a huge fan of the white car - dark wheel combo. Mine are actually powder coated and aren't really black, although you can't tell in most pictures. What color lug bolts are you running? Are they painted? How do you keep the paint on them if they are painted? I originally painted a set which didn't last very long once I torqued them on. I then had another set powder coated and I bought a soft socket which helps. They are holding up better than the painted set, but are starting to chip. I would love to find an anodized set but so far no luck.

ddb
Old 01-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #5

I have had my rims painted about 5 mths ago not a daily driver no chips, or anything falling off. The guy who does my bodywork is really good and have never had a problem with his work . I am sure they will chip in some places but i will just get them repainted when it gets bad. The fact is he put a clear coat on them and it seems to be holding up . When the kit is done I will post some pictures of the car . oops forgot to answer the question you asked. The bolts are custom painted silver the same as the body of the car. I had the guy install the wheels so there was no chipping on the bolts. If there was chipping when he put them on he must have touched them up cause they look really good.

Last edited by clb0099; 01-14-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #6

What a unique look (and I mean that in the good way). I have never seen a white hardtop before. So snatching that up at a higher price than expected would probably be better than dealing with the hassle of painting it. All that black beneath the fenders makes it look lower.

Kudos on the long voyage and great gas mileage.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #7

how much did you pay for the top? I am from nj and drove to FL in 2005 it took me 16:45 . I guess being a cop has some pros lol
Old 01-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #8

How about painting the wheels red and putting a GT3RS red decal down the side...I have not seen a Box look this this but would like to.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #9

you see alot of civics with the red rims here in nj/ny but that would look cool on a blk or white car... i am sure someone will try it eventually.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Thanks guys for the compliments.

I paid $1,300 for the top.

ddb
Old 01-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #11

thats not that bad, im glad mine came with it

Old 01-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #12

i bought my car for 12k with the hard top it had 85k miles on it at that time . Oh it's a 1997. That is why my wife allowed me to get it. It had all it's service records and was mint conditon. I have owned since around may put about 1,200 into it with the minor electrical problems. Then forget about how much for the mods (4k). The repairs on the electrical where the new wires going to the window motor on both sides and new regulators which i bought from a crashed 2001 boxster . The parts for this repair was 330 and labor was 600 . The regulators were replaced cause the motor was attached at time of purschasing them.

Last edited by clb0099; 01-14-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #13

It's great that you finally found a top. It looks great. well worth the drive for the color match. Congrats.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #14

that car does not look like a 12 thousand dollar car with 85k miles.
looks like it was kept in pretty good shape

Old 01-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #15

Dj i think you have me confused with DDb my car is silver and i have not yet posted a picture of my car . Though thank you for the nice things you said LOL
Old 01-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #16
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
It's great that you finally found a top. It looks great. well worth the drive for the color match. Congrats.
SC986,

I sent you a PM. Check your In Box.

ddb