Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2023, 08:06 PM   #1

Garage
Boxster Wheel Stickers

I'm getting the winter wheels and tires ready for the annual swap and noticed that the original wheels are looking a bit tired. I came up with this idea to cut some stickers from 3M Wrap Film to cover up the scuffs and scratches. Don't know how long it will last, but easy enough to reapply if necessary.

Ron986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 08:13 PM   #2

Garage
This Is What I'm Talking About Covering

Worse on the front wheels, this the damaged finish being covered...

Old 11-09-2023, 05:35 PM   #3

Garage
Ready For Winter

Here's a pic with the winter wheels installed...
Old 11-10-2023, 03:20 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Cool. They look fine on those wheels.

Did you cut them yourself? ... On a machine/laser? I'm venturing a sheet of vinyl? Could be any color?

Bet you could sell those here...
Old 11-11-2023, 09:07 AM   #5

Garage
Hand Cut Stickers

Thanks Starter...

Yes I cut the stickers by hand. I suspect that they could be laser cut to make them identical.
Depending on your skill with a pair of scissors, I'd say that you could hand cut then so they look good at 5 ft. or more. This coming from an old man with shaky hands

I bought a 1' x 5' of 3M sheet vinyl (satin black) off eBay for $14. This will make several 'car sets' of stickers. I can't see why you could not select any color you want. Or, maybe even carbon fiber?
The thickness of the 3M wrap film was easy to work with. I don't know how thicker material would work. I did not need to use any heat to install them.

If interested, this is the processed I used:
  • Make a pattern of the raised 'twist' from heavy paper. Start bigger than necessary and 'whittle' it down to the final shape. Start over if your not happy with the result.
  • The wrap film arrived rolled up. Lay out the sheet of wrap film overnight to flatten it out. This helps with latter steps.
  • Lay the wrap film down with the backing side up. Use the pattern as a template to outline each sticker. (Tip: 1. I used an extra fine sharpie, a pencil mark was to light to see well. 2. A piece of transparent tape will temporally assist to keep the pattern in place.)
  • Now the complicated part You will need to flip the pattern to match the orientation of the wheel twist. As you are marking the back of the wrap film, the pattern must be flipped over so that the sticky side of the film is on the correct side.
  • Cut out the sticker (Tip: Cut one out and check the orientation on the wheel)
  • Give the wheels a good cleaning (I did front & rear, removing the years of brake dust and old wheel weight foam tape remnants from the back).
  • Wipe the painted surface with alcohol to remove anything on the surface.
  • Start removing the backing and carefully apply to the wheel. Don't remove all the backing, peel back just enough (about an inch) to stick to the wheel.
  • Slowly peel back more backing as you work towards the wheel rim. Take care to avoid bubbles.

I think that's it. Let me know if you have any questions.