Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #1

Finally. Pix!

Here's a couple of shots of my car with my new aftermarket carrera lights and colored center caps. Oh yeah, the shots also show my Michelin PS2's, the most expensive tire I have ever bought in my life (and worth every penny!)

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #2

And a close up of the wheel. I told the wife this was the shot to "oooh and aaah" over because it shows the very hard work on the painted calipers and new decals!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #3

Sweet ride, I especially like the rims and envy the tires....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Forget the wheels and calipers,WHAT DID YOU DETAIL THE CAR WITH?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #5

The car is actually kind of dirty. I just took some Meguirs Detailing spray and hit the passenger side for the picture. A year ago, I used my new PC polisher with Menzerna intensive polish and then final polish and finally, a coat of Klasse All In One.

Let me assure you that if you examined my paint job up close and personal-like, you'd be disgusted and wonder why I have not yet had the car repainted. I sure would like to have it torn down and repainted properly, but it's $4k or so and that's 70% of a SC kit so I will do that first and quite possibly, have the car repainted properly when it turns 15 years old.

I've bought raffle tickets for the PCA drawing and the Ashville Symphony again this year, and should I win, I'll sell the car instantly or take the cash prize and keep my car, using that cash to do all sorts of engine mods (how about a turbocharged or SC'd 3.4, anyone? and get that paint job I want.)

This is not my current ride. It's my hobby.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #6

To me, the wheel change updates the car's look completely. Very, very nice. Can a signature block change be far behind?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Looks great! What did you use on the calipers? Did you paint them on or off the car? Clear coat?

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
boggtown

About the PS2's, its so good that your driving on them, lol. It made me so sad to see all the 911's in imagine auto with flat PS2's in the showroom. Not flat because they had holes, just never used and just for decoration.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #9

ddb, I used the G2 brush-on, 2-part paint system, 2 coats (I have no patience for more than 2 coats! and the 2nd coat was smooth, so I stopped) and I have yet to clear coat them, but I'll get to that soon enough.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #10

It looks great! Nice job on the calipers. The decals make the project!
What tires did you have before the PS2s and what do you like better about
the Michelins?
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #11
blkboxster

Wow.thats looks SOOOO good. can i have a pic of the back to see how the exhasut looks like.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
ddb, I used the G2 brush-on, 2-part paint system, 2 coats (I have no patience for more than 2 coats! and the 2nd coat was smooth, so I stopped) and I have yet to clear coat them, but I'll get to that soon enough.
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #13

very nice, very, very nice! I love taking pix of my car coz' it doesn't show the thousands and thousands of stone chips in the front & hood..hehehehehe!
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 AM   #14

Hard to believe its 10 years old. Looks just as current as a two year old 04.
Just for fun you should place an add in Craig's list or ebay and see what you can get for it. Although I think you would have to be insane to bid on black out of state car.

p.s.
the clear coat peeled off one of my calipers after after a tire blow out going medium speed (but still scary). The heat bubled up the clear coating and a few days later it peeled off in patchy spots. Now how the heck to you remove clear coating?!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsquire
Did you take the calipers off or leave them?
Jeff, I left them on. The only thing I would do differently if I were to do it again would be to use most of the can of brake parts cleaner and really scrub them with a towel inside and out. I contaminated the red paint a little by brushing over areas I didn't originally think I would paint, so I didn't thoroughly spray the areas and wipe it down with a rag the way I should have done.

Perfectlap: I have decided against clear coating mine after reading your comment above. If the stickers fall off, so be it. I'll buy more. I just ain't taking those wheels off AGAIN anytime soon because the clear coat is messed up.

Blkboxster: There's just not much to see in the back.... the new exhaust tucks under the bumper so well that you only see a sliver of it and what you do see is the transmission now! Makes me want to buy a newer bumper that's lower or put those diffusers on the one I have now.

Audioguy: I had no tires on these rims previously. They're new. However, I was running a brand new set (3 months of weekend driving only) of Sumitomo HRTZII's on my 17's... which will be my track tires for the DE I want to do next year. The Sumi's are very good inexpensive tires IMO and did not flat-spot like the Kumho's I was running before. I have nothing good to say about Kumho tires, although others say they are great for the track because they're cheap. The Sumi's are even cheaper though... and ToolPants has them on his Boxster and doggonit, if Jeff uses them then they're good enough for me! He's a boxster expert with a first year boxster he bought brand new in 1996 I think!

The Michelins are just incredibly quiet and very very grippy. Of course, I only have about 600 miles on them so they're just getting broken in. Some of the love affair with this brand and model tires is the fact that I have not had the cash to put really good tires on the car before so this is like a bit of a tire dream come true for me.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-14-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Jeff, I left them on. The only thing I would do differently if I were to do it again would be to use most of the can of brake parts cleaner and really scrub them with a towel inside and out. I contaminated the red paint a little by brushing over areas I didn't originally think I would paint, so I didn't thoroughly spray the areas and wipe it down with a rag the way I should have done.

Perfectlap: I have decided against clear coating mine after reading your comment above. If the stickers fall off, so be it. I'll buy more. I just ain't taking those wheels off AGAIN anytime soon because the clear coat is messed up.

Blkboxster: There's just not much to see in the back.... the new exhaust tucks under the bumper so well that you only see a sliver of it and what you do see is the transmission now! Makes me want to buy a newer bumper that's lower or put those diffusers on the one I have now.

Audioguy: I had no tires on these rims previously. They're new. However, I was running a brand new set (3 months of weekend driving only) of Sumitomo HRTZII's on my 17's... which will be my track tires for the DE I want to do next year. The Sumi's are very good inexpensive tires IMO and did not flat-spot like the Kumho's I was running before. I have nothing good to say about Kumho tires, although others say they are great for the track because they're cheap. The Sumi's are even cheaper though... and ToolPants has them on his Boxster and doggonit, if Jeff uses them then they're good enough for me! He's a boxster expert with a first year boxster he bought brand new in 1996 I think!

The Michelins are just incredibly quiet and very very grippy. Of course, I only have about 600 miles on them so they're just getting broken in. Some of the love affair with this brand and model tires is the fact that I have not had the cash to put really good tires on the car before so this is like a bit of a tire dream come true for me.
_
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #17

The Carrera lights rock!

I been thinking of replacing my turbo twists with carrera lights next tire change.

Where did you buy them?

Many thanks
bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:25 PM   #18

Jeff: Bought the G2 paint system off Ebay. $34.95 plus shipping and handling. Listed for mustangs of all things.

Bob: Bought them from www.wheeldynamics.com They have the correct offsets for the Boxster application. Paid $995 for the rims, and he mounted and road-force balanced the PS2's and then shipped them to me for $2,150 total price.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #19
KronixSpeed

sweeet. the calipers do look really good. first time that i've seen a pic of your car randall, very nice n simple i like it. i hear you about the shine...my car up close looks terrible, but when clean n waxed it's a different car, still beautifull dirtyyy..
Old 11-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #20

I think RN"s paint may not be so perfect for different reasons.
If your paint is free of scratches/chips and looks terrible because
of heavy swirling and spiderwebbing that's an entirely fixable problem.
$150 for a PC with Lake Country polishing pad, Menzerma IP and II,
two hours of blood sweat and tears and even up close and personal, dark paint will look great again.
Beats the **************** out repaint. Incidentally, I took my car for an estimate to have a fender repaired that has a small 3" hairline dent and color matching my GT3 bumper (been sitting waiting to be installed forever) and the estimate from the top Porshce/Merc/exotics,etc. autobody shop in this area was over $3,000 for just those two pieces. I may have them fix just the fender because Silver is tough to match. I'll find someone else for the bumper.
Either way, The PC is a must have friend.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote