Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #1

Rear Wheel Magnetic Stone Guards

Poking around the internet a while ago, I stumbled across the website of a fellow who makes magnetic exterior trim emblems and other bits for various cars within the Porsche lineup:

https://www.magnagrafik.com/WholeCatalogue.pdf

Intrigued, I ordered, and have just received, a set of matte black magnetic stone guards (Page 24 of 29 in the above link):

On a dark blue car, these guards do not stand out too much visually, which is the look that I was after. What you do note the most is that the surrounding blue paint is glossy, while the guards are a contrasting matte finish.

First impressions are positive, but I plan on living with them for a while just to see how they strike me in the days to come.

And, apparently as a freebie, the manufacturer included a pair of crest magnetic emblems:

These crests are well made and look nice, but I doubt that I will use them on my car. I just placed one on the front fender for a picture.

You can see that this manufacturer has a wide variety of other magnetic emblems and stripes and such in their catalog, so those of you who are into this sort of thing can go nuts. Note their door numbers for autocross and similar such racing use. And, of course, since these are all magnetic, if you do not like the look for any reason, they are easily removed with no harm done.

The instructions do recommend their removal whenever washing the car, or immediately after getting caught in the rain, just as a precaution against the potential for the trapping of any moisture between the emblem and the car's paintwork.

Tip: Be certain that, if you lay these out onto a flat surface such as a workbench prior to installation on the car, ensure that the work surface is free of any metal shavings or drilling debris. Since these trim bits are magnetic, anything ferrous like that is going to be immediately attracted to the emblem, and if not removed, they could scratch the car's paintwork.

How do you all like the look?

Thanks - DM

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #2

Gotta admit when I first read the title I thought "but stones aren't ferrous whats the point???"... then it hit me the magnet is for your car's body. ROTFLMAO. I'm an idiot.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:54 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Are those panels for aesthetics? I've examined my car and can't see for one minute how those would solve any (perceived) problem. Those sections on my car look like they don't know what is a rock or stone.

Why didn't you just go with the clear stuff... front end bra material?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Are those panels for aesthetics? I've examined my car and can't see for one minute how those would solve any (perceived) problem. Those sections on my car look like they don't know what is a rock or stone.

Why didn't you just go with the clear stuff... front end bra material?

Thanks.
That's a fair question. Two reasons:

1). It's a wink and a nod back to the 930 era. Their use there was a small detail that I've always thought looked sorta neat:

2). My car is Ocean Blue Metallic with a Metropul Blue interior. That's a whole big bunch of Blue going on, so I am always on the lookout for something which could serve to downplay that whole monochromatic vibe.

-

These guards are one of those deals where some folks will like their look, while others, perhaps, not so much. Which goes back to their whole magnetic (and thus, easily installed and removed) feature.

I figured that there was no downside to just give it a go.

Thanks - DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:30 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Thank you, Dave.l Makes perfect sense. They do look great on those flared fenders and the historical "wink-and-a-nod" is appropriate.

The black does contrast nicely with that blue... and your ride looks great!

Have a great week!