Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #1

New to the Board - MY2000 2.7L

Hello All,

I'm new to the board but have enjoyed what I've read thus far. Thought I'd take a minute and introduce my car and myself.

I'm a 35 y.o. ex-throttle jockey with more memories than broken bones. I raced KTM's since '92 (before they were even close to cool) on the national Enduro and HareScrambles circuits. Since I was 6, I've grown up grown up riding dirt bikes. Due to a second hip replacement (don't feel bad, these things are great...I won a National Championship and finished Bronze in the ISDE in Spain on the first), I had to give up motorcycle racing. Since I appreciate the relationship of man and machine, I built a SCCA STS class Turbo-S Beetle and have been having fun with that little monster. Anyway, wanting more of a good thing, I've arrived at handling nirvana in the form of my MY00 986. Man is this thing great!

The 986 I bought used in June of this year from the original owner and have logged appx 20K miles since then. I love to drive this thing and do so every chance I get. There is nothing else that I test drove that even comes close to the feedback you get through the steering wheel and drivers seat of this car. I drove the MRoadster, S2000, 350Z, a C5 vette, and 2 986S's and 1 base 986 all w/o M030. . This is truly a driver’s car. Mine is Finnish build, October '99 and painted in Metallic BLACK with an Ash roof. Factory equipped as follows:
- M030 sport suspension (love this)
- Sport adaptive seats (love this too)
- LSD (I can't believe it either!)
- TC (hate this - always off unless it's raining)
- Sport Design Interior (love this but it's flaking off the roll bar where the sport adaptive seat backs hit the lower bar)
- 18" Turbo Looks w/colored crests
- 3 spoke steering wheel
- On-board Computer

Obviously the guy that ticked off the order sheet was a driver...for that I'm thankful. Other factory options that are interesting but don't add directly to the driving experience:
- Extended warranty through Dec 2007 or 100K miles
- CDR220 w/Premium Sound and MJ01 amp
- Anti-Theft w/IR and Remote
- Litronic w/washers
- Speedster humps (in bags, never used)
- Rear storage box
- CC
- Wind deflector
- Sport exhaust (amounts to a large-cross section chrome tip...woohoo)
- And most importantly...floor mats!

All said and done the sticker was just over $53.4K. Crazy in my opinion to stay with the 2.7L at that price, but who am I to complain...it is what it is. I purchased it in June with 54K miles on it for $18K with bad tires and a flawless maintenance history. He said he had purchased it new and had it serviced at the local dealership in Hickory, NC. My plan was to fly down there and drive it back to Indiana through the Smokey Mountains after I verified some information.

So, after pulling a carfax, his story was verified. I then called the dealership and gave them the WPO# and told them I was interested in purchasing it from so-and-so. They put me on hold a bit but then the GM agreed to let them fax me the entire maintenance history. The history supported the carfax and went into even more detail. All services were current so I was on my way. When I got there, I verified that the book was stamped and up to date also. After driving it, I couldn't believe it. It was sitting in the garage and looked great even though it wasn't detailed. I checked over all the likely leaky areas and all was good. On to the test drive where it drove perfect. I couldn't believe it! There was a little wear on the drivers seat from entry/exit in addition to the afore mentioned interior paint issues, but otherwise everything worked and was in good condition. When I got back from the test drive, I agreed to buy it for a reduced price for the worn tires. He said no way...and I said I’d take it anyway.

Turns out his neighbor was the widow of the late NASCAR legend Dale Ernhart. Kinda neat. The guy said he hated to see it go and he would keep it if he could but he needed the garage space and last minute cash for the 4 kids he was adopting from Bellaruse!?? What? This guy was living like a king. I would have gotten rid of one of the two boats but to each their own.

Anyway, I drove all the way home expecting something ugly to manifest in the engine or transmission but it never did. I've completed the 60K service and will be taking it in for the 75K this next Friday. So far, no worries and all trouble free miles. Starts up every time, no smoke, no strange sounds and my local P-dealer confirms it's in great shape. After washing it off, I did find one area one the rear deck that has some tree sap damage about the size of a fifty-cent piece. Also, there are smoe tiny stone chips on the front lower spoiler that would not have been had I purchased through a dealership. However, all said and done, I think I got myself a great deal.

Since the purchase, I found a hardtop from a '98 through PCA. I drove to Virginia to pick it up but it was just Black and not Metallic Black. The guy felt bad for me driving all the way out there, especially after he told me it was sure to be a match, so he sold it to me for $750. I got it resprayed for $320 at the P-dealership and they were able to reuse the stock window seals. Now it looks great and I'm real happy with the way that all worked itself out.

Also, I'm going to try to drive it through the winter so I just received some OEM 17" Boxster twists shroud with Pirelli Wintersport 240's. Although it won't be the best thing in fresh, deep, lake effect snow we get in No. IN and SW Michigan. It should be great for the day after once they get it all scraped off.

Anyway, that's a little about me and a lot about my car. I absolutely love it and look forward to trying to get 200K + miles of the 2.7L engine. I've cut the recommended service intervals in half and I'm changing oil with M1 5w-50 every 5K miles. We'll see how far down the trail we go. Looking forward to learning and contributing.

Cheers,

--troy

racer_troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:54 AM   #2
lwc

Sounds like great car . . . congratulations! Permagrin has set in for sure!
lwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:57 AM   #3

Troy, welcome to the forum and hopefully we get to see more posts from you. The car looks great and it sounds like you got yourself a car that has been well taken care of. Nice to hear accolades about the Box's handling and performance from an "ex-trottle jockey".

Z.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
wow i cant believe i read all that, and that u typed it all hehehe.
great car it seems like man, glad that its worry free so far.
post up some more pics of the box and the beetle

mladen
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #5

Welcome! Nice car, great options..LSD!!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #6

more pix

Great car and great story. can you send more pix. THe sun is washing out your roof.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #7

Troy,

Great looking car ! Love the wheels and the hard top...

Sammy ( another forum member ) and I run Autocross in Crown Point, IN sometimes.

We'll have to hook up !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #8

Nice car Nick...

...who knew I had a twin out there...perhaps this fall we could get together for a drive...i'll post something up here if the local PCA chapter has something going on...folks in SW Michigan and Chicago should do the same...I did a few drives with the VW crowd and it was fun...

Jeff and DJ...I'll snap some pics of the boxster in the morning and post them up tomorrow...I have a lot of beetle pics so I can post one of those now...

To the others: Thanks for all the comments guys...I truly do enjoy driving this car...it is absolutely incredible...and when kept in the meat of the power curve, a lot of fun with an absolutely great sound...that's one of the best things about the heartop...you have more chance to hear the wail of the 2.7 while driving spirited...music to my ears!

Here are some exterior pics of the Beetle taken over the w/e...It has the 18" Konig's on there....2" lip in front and 3" lip in rear running staggered widths of 8 and 9 respectively....mods are SPC camber plates set a 1.1 neg, bilstein HD's with shine straight rate spings, shine sways, K&N filter panel, TT diverter valve, K03 Sport turbo, apr chip programming 93, 100, valet, stock (i'm a good boy and do turn it off during events) with complete 3" apr exhaust system (i'm cheating a bit here with a 3" down pipe and 100 cell metallic cat where the rules say only cat back)...estimated bhp is 250 on 100 octane and 230 on 93...i usually drive in 93...but believe it or not...it's best in the stock program for AX as there is less wheel spin, hop and pull...this is a fun car to drive...especially when that Mustange Cobra SVT is not expecting you to wind it up and walk...really a total sleep besides the wheels and exhaust poking out...handling is good...and with the interal bar rear sway, i can get throttle off rotation when needed...this is a lot of fun in a fwd car and amounts to what we used to call in the motorcycle world as 'point and shoot' where you can actually throttle into the corner hard...scrub what you need...turn in with a bit of power....and then throttle immediately off to start the rotation...as the rear comes around....just ease back into the power and the little beetle pulls itself out again...so so cool with a bit of counter steer....not that i'm a drifter by any stretch....but it does allow you to carry speed in tite tite 180 deg dirctional changes...

anyway...enjoy the pics....

Last edited by racer_troy; 10-07-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #9

Interior pics....Beetle....

pics with and without the Schroth 4-point belts...
Old 10-07-2006, 11:15 PM   #10

with the belts....

schroth 4 point harness....clip in version...
Old 10-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #11

Exterior pic 2

Drivers Side rear...look at this dish and stretch...

Last edited by racer_troy; 10-07-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #12

Exterior Pic 3

Passengers Side from the rear....i'm running 235/35-18's on the rear....on a 9" rim...i get a little of that German Tuner stretched look...aparently...in Germany, cars cannot have the rubber of the tire sticking outside of the wheelwell....so....to put on fat rims...the stretch is the solution...

Last edited by racer_troy; 10-07-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:23 PM   #13

Exterior Pic 4

Here's a better pic of the driver's side rear wheel...i really like the way these rims look on this little car...i only run these on the street only....with the larger 18" diameter Konig wheels, i can actually feel a difference in stopping power...amazing but true...the stopping distance actually increased...oh yeah....for pads, I'm running the Hawk HP+....great feel and just a little more dust...accerlation with the bigger wheel is not so much affected as there is enough power there to spin 'em up regardless....but the brake progressiona nd stopping distances are so much better when i'm running the 16" Borbet's with the Hankook Rs2 - Z212's in 225/50-16....also, this little beetle is running GTI disks and calipers all the way around...

Enjoy!

Last edited by racer_troy; 10-07-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:48 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
wow that bug is awesome, just not a fan of those tail lights tho.
i love the streched tire look as well.
im picking up a mk1 gti soon...well as long as i can convince my GF to let me get it
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #15

Car looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_troy
Other factory options that are interesting but don't add directly to the driving experience:
- Wind deflector
Ooh, unless you drive with the hard top on all the time (like me), then I beg to differ on this one... that wind deflector makes a huge difference related to the driving experience... Ask around.

It's got an impressive list of options... enjoy 'em all (except CC).
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:46 AM   #16

Pics coming soon...I know I know...

I've got one concall this morning and then I'll pull the boxster around front for a few pics...I know i owe you guys...

cheers,

--troy
Old 10-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #17

Weather's not cooproating...

clouds hung around all day...i may see what i can get in the garage...but not nearly as nice i know...calling for some slush and possible snow toward the end of the week...it's just that time of year...

better luck tomorrow...
Old 10-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_troy
clouds hung around all day...i may see what i can get in the garage...but not nearly as nice i know...calling for some slush and possible snow toward the end of the week...it's just that time of year...

better luck tomorrow...
Snow!!! ack!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #19
boggtown

So did you take the flower vase out or leave it in? lol.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #20

RacerTroy, welcome to the board, and I enjoy your long posts! Keep them coming. You must be a writer or communcator of some sort.

You'll find all the other professional communicators on the board (myself, MNBoxster, etc.) like to type out nice long ones

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote