Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2018, 12:18 AM   #1

Garage
Updates during one year of ownership

It started with hole in one catalitic converter, so I found aftermarket ones and becouse of a big price difference instead of porsche original parts I took them.
During exhaust dissasembling I found torned cw boots, so next point to do. It makes my car for one month out of driving, cause lack of time for it.

Next point was change all sway-bar drop-links, which was really pain in the ass, cause on rear axle they were stucked in aluminium wheel carrier, so I had to drill them out. Front ones were easy.

Other step on my TO DO list was front brakes complete new discs and pads this was stright forward, without any issue. I choosed Brembo parts

And my last big project was complete new struts, springs and stabilisers. I took set of bilstein B8 HaR springs and HaR stabilisers, they were used for one year and 6 000 km on friends car, so I had good price after he crashed his car. My 15 year old struts were really in bad condition. It was not that complicated to change them, but there was striped thread for bolt which holds rear brake calipper on left side, it was so sad day. I managed to repair it by my self with thread insert, good experience for me. And I have to tell, on new struts instead of 15 years old ones, car behaves much much better (night and day difference)

Oh and almost forgot, wheel spacers I have 21 mm on rear and 15 mm on front. But after installing a new suspension (struts, lowering springs) wheels are scratching rear fender at rear end corner, so I will have to probably put also 15 mm for rear axle.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:08 AM   #2

Not bad for one year of ownership.
redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #3

Garage
Good job! Congratulations now enjoy the ride!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #4

Garage
Thank you guys.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:04 AM   #5

Always good to see someone giving the cars the attention that they deserve, well done!
Old 11-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #6

Looking good under there too, very clean!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #7

What did you do to get the underside so clean? I have much of the same to do and want to get it all cleaned up as well.
Aanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:42 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanic View Post
What did you do to get the underside so clean? I have much of the same to do and want to get it all cleaned up as well.
Mainly aluminium suports or reinforcements plates are cleaned with a bit of abrasive dish cleaner and normal sponge for washing dish. Then new cats sprayed with silver colour for exhousts, and also muffler was brushed and painted with silver colour.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:12 PM   #9

Looks clean!
speedyleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:31 PM   #10

Garage
Nice work; you turned back the clock on your S by several years.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:18 AM   #11
MarkT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4tus View Post
It started with hole in one catalitic converter, so I found aftermarket ones and becouse of a big price difference instead of porsche original parts I took them.
During exhaust dissasembling I found torned cw boots, so next point to do. It makes my car for one month out of driving, cause lack of time for it.

Next point was change all sway-bar drop-links, which was really pain in the ass, cause on rear axle they were stucked in aluminium wheel carrier, so I had to drill them out. Front ones were easy.

Other step on my TO DO list was front brakes complete new discs and pads this was stright forward, without any issue. I choosed Brembo parts

And my last big project was complete new struts, springs and stabilisers. I took set of bilstein B8 HaR springs and HaR stabilisers, they were used for one year and 6 000 km on friends car, so I had good price after he crashed his car. My 15 year old struts were really in bad condition. It was not that complicated to change them, but there was striped thread for bolt which holds rear brake calipper on left side, it was so sad day. I managed to repair it by my self with thread insert, good experience for me. And I have to tell, on new struts instead of 15 years old ones, car behaves much much better (night and day difference)

Oh and almost forgot, wheel spacers I have 21 mm on rear and 15 mm on front. But after installing a new suspension (struts, lowering springs) wheels are scratching rear fender at rear end corner, so I will have to probably put also 15 mm for rear axle.

Looks awesome what did you use to clean the bottom?
How about cleaning the engine? I was told not to use degreaser.

Cheers
Markt213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 AM   #12

Problem here is that aluminum will corrode. That's why the factory puts an anti corrosion substance on all the aluminum parts. If you remove it, you risk aluminum corrosion.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markt213 View Post

Cheers
did you read the thread? he told you just 3 posts before yours
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:27 AM   #14
Porschephile

What was the drop on the springs? Got a nice photo of the car on the ground with the new suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markt213 View Post

Cheers