Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #1

18" MY97 ???

i was reading "Porsche boxster" the complete story by gavin farmer.
here is the quote

" Unknown to either the owners or the tuners this proved not to be a good idea as the rear structure of the body wasnot sufficiently rigid to take the added forces these wheels and tyres could generate. Therefore, for the 1998 model year the factory reinforced the rear part of the body with stronger suspension anchorage points, rear cross member, engine compartment bulkhead and wheel well strut mounts. An important point here is not to fit 18" to any of the pre-MY98 bosxter".

are there anyone who actually fitted a 18" on your 97 boxster? what is
your feedback?

ivan loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan loh
i was reading "Porsche boxster" the complete story by gavin farmer.
here is the quote

" Unknown to either the owners or the tuners this proved not to be a good idea as the rear structure of the body wasnot sufficiently rigid to take the added forces these wheels and tyres could generate. Therefore, for the 1998 model year the factory reinforced the rear part of the body with stronger suspension anchorage points, rear cross member, engine compartment bulkhead and wheel well strut mounts. An important point here is not to fit 18" to any of the pre-MY98 bosxter".

are there anyone who actually fitted a 18" on your 97 boxster? what is
your feedback?

I just put some 19 inch bbs lm rims on my boxster.....works fine and grips like hell!
boxsterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterx
I just put some 19 inch bbs lm rims on my boxster.....works fine and grips like hell!
How long have you had them on for?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
How long have you had them on for?
i've just had them for over a month now. But my buddies over here in socal have had them for 2 years already. Hope this helps you out.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:08 PM   #5

Smile

I had mine 2 year's now,97 boxster with 18"BBS LM ,H&R 1"lowering ,i love the looked more than anything else,the car looked quet "LOW" and "FAT" from behind ,over roll the looked of my car set it apart from other stock boxster .hope that help
911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911sc
I had mine 2 year's now,97 boxster with 18"BBS LM ,H&R 1"lowering ,i love the looked more than anything else,the car looked quet "LOW" and "FAT" from behind ,over roll the looked of my car set it apart from other stock boxster .hope that help

I have a similar set up as yours! I got 19 inch bbs LM rims and I'm ordering the H&R sport springs to lower it by 1 inch, is the car to low? or is it just right? I'm just worried of the ride and always scrapping inclines and dips!

here's a pic of my ride, but it's still on the stock springs:

can you post a pic of your ride so i can get an idea of the drop? thanks.

986 silver boxster
E46 TiAg ///M3
92 red miata
Old 06-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #7

the spring u have to get is 1"H&R ,yes is low but still be vey nice for city drive with no problem at all.The front lips will scrap a bit , u can replace it yourself for very little money if it get bad !
Old 06-28-2006, 11:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911sc
the spring u have to get is 1"H&R ,yes is low but still be vey nice for city drive with no problem at all.The front lips will scrap a bit , u can replace it yourself for very little money if it get bad !
those are the exact springs that i ordered!

986 silver boxster
E46 TiAg ///M3
92 red miata
Old 06-29-2006, 05:56 AM   #9

Smile

than u in the right track ,check your PM
Old 07-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #10

Thanks for the update! appreciate it. now i should start looking for a cool looking 18".
is there any mod that i need to do before putting on the 18" rims?
Old 07-04-2006, 05:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan loh
[B]Is there any mod that i need to do before putting on the 18" rims?
Well, if you're wife is like mine, you'll have to create a very long explanation as to why you NEED these larger rims versus why you WANT these larger rims. Lots of luck there, singapore boy! Singaporean women are just about the smartest I've come across.

A 97 may require spacers and will probably require having the brake lines tied back so they won't rub... no big deal. A zip tie works great for this and your mechanic will have some lying around.

The spacer isssue has to do with the offset of the 18's you purchase. Aftermarket companies are now making correct offsets for the Boxster. Search the forum for the numbers as it's been posted here a bunch of times.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #12

hi randell, thanks for the update! as for now, i could only "look" at the 18" rims. because just 3 month ago i just change my tyres! if i were to change now, my new tyres would worth much. i will seriously start considering when my this current tyres are wearing out. so have you done any new stuff to your boxster?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:47 AM   #13

No, I've not done a thing to it since my muffler modification. I've been busy moving my office and warehouse across town and now I'm turning my attention to renovation in my old home. The boxster is getting ignored a lot these days!

It's also been raining a lot here and that keeps me from driving it and enjoying the car.

We'll have to correct this as soon as the sun comes out!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote