Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2016, 04:47 AM   #1

Garage
Anti-Corrosion Warranty

Hi
Just thought i would share some info with you all

After contacting Porsche Silverstone about my 2005 Boxster S and providing pictures -attached - the "repairer" elite-motors.co.uk based in Northampton told me Porsche wouldn't cover it under warranty.
Reason
The rust is not from the inside out??

Therefore my take is you need to ensure you fill your car internally with water/when you fancy using the toilet whilst driving...:troll: and let it seep out and rust it before Porsche will accept your claim

Z4oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #2

what is the stated warranty?

From your picture it looks like surface corrosion, which likely has a different warranty coverage than perforation. I worked in the industry for years and the company I was with had a 3-year surface corrosion warranty and a 5-year perforation, or rust-through warranty. Panels that rust through generally do so from inside out. Surface corrosion can rust through of course too, but since it's visible it should be repaired before it gets that bad. That's kind of up to you if it's past the manufacturer's surface corrosion warranty. Your car is 10 years old now, but I don't know what Porsche's surface corrosion warranty was. Not likely 10 years. I'd say on a 10-year old car you're asking a lot for any manufacturer to take responsibility.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

Garage
Anti-corrosion - Good explanation

Thanks for the elaboration.
I bet the next thing manufacturers will do it give separate for roof to side panels - rain hits the roof 1st LOL
Old 09-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #4

Because the car panels are galvanized on the inside and outside the chance that you have an inside out corrosion is very very low. On a not galvanized car this would be looking much worse.

To get this repaired the galvanization should also be renewed – which isn't an easy fix.

The warranty for an inside out corrosion was 10 years. So in 2016 you're no longer in this time frame with a 2005 car. Also it's not inside out.

Let the repair be done professionally. Avoid to much loose gravel and have fun with your Boxster again.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #5

Garage
Cats 1st rust 2nd

I will be replacing the Cats on the vehicle over the next week.
I have had a quote for the rust which seemed ok.

i drive Z4, 986, 987 in all weathers and roads but thanks for the advice
Old 09-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4oldie View Post
i drive Z4, 986, 987 in all weathers and roads but thanks for the advice
Yes, you do. Then you complain that Porsche won't pay for your carelessness. As said before, that is clearly surface corrosion caused by the road conditions you drive in while not properly taking care of your car.

Wash it more often if you're going to drive it in bad conditions.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #7

Garage
Bought in June 2016.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:44 AM   #8

Mine looks exactly like that. Mine hasn't gone rusty though so I tend to just slap a bit of touch up paint via a small brush periodically. Probably a very common area for road rash etc

jonogt6 is offline   Reply With Quote