Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

Maybe using the Box in winter...

wasn't such a good idea?

Asked the wife if she would clean this winter's first snow off the Boxster before she left for work in the Outback, while I got the kids ready for school. This is how she left it.

And I was betting on no snow until January.

Well, I spent money on new winter tires and rims for it, so I'd better drive it. I did get back up the steep road up to my house without problems though, so maybe it does work as a winter car.

politby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #2

Garage
Man you got away lucky!!!! If I had have asked my wife to clean the snow off the boxster i'd be in the dog house for even the suggestion LMAO (Oh wait i'm already there) and thank gawd my boxster never sees snow.
H
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
Man you got away lucky!!!! If I had have asked my wife to clean the snow off the boxster i'd be in the dog house for even the suggestion LMAO (Oh wait i'm already there) and thank gawd my boxster never sees snow.
H
Never sees snow? In Guelph? You coward. You know Ferdinand Porsche said his cars were meant to be driven every day...
Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

Garage
Yes well and I keep the heater going for it as well all tucked in for winter, hahahaha
I wouldnt be concerned about the snow at all - but if you saw how much liquid and crushed salt they dump on our roads you wouldnt drive your car either - the salt corrodes everything, so i'd just as soon keep my 12 year old car looking nice
I'm not really sure why they arent dumping more sand with all the environmental concerns these days; probably boils down to cleanup costs in sewers etc in the spring... all money saved is more money to line someone elses's pockets... For years and years we drove around with a bit of salt and sand mixed on the roads and snowplows cleaning the roads... now they spray the salt on the roads before the snow comes, after the snow comes and dump crushed salt on the roads like mad to melt it rather than plowing just to save the roads from abuse of the plows... talk about Environmental impact... Most places you drive in the northern states they have "no salt zones" especially near bridges and overpasses to avoid salt run off into the streams and rivers - Here they dump extra salt in those areas....

Last edited by Heiko; 11-29-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #5

I can't wait for winter with the Boxster on my crappy chinese all-seasons. On the days it's really snowing I'll take out my rally car with some competition snow tires on.... otherwise it's still the Boxster for the daily driving.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #6

Agree about the negatives with salt, but up here, with temperatures constantly changing and snow that melts and freezes again I am sure it saves countless lives every winter. Sand is not nearly as effective.

Now there is a huge push for making studs illegal. That will be the day I stop driving in winter. I have run off the road once - in an Audi I was persuaded to put Bridgestone Blizzaks on, on an early morning drive to work; in a bend at 40 km/h it went from stable to zero grip in a millisecond. Did two sideways rolls into the ditch.

I put Kumho KW22 studded 18"s on the Boxster. Great bang for the buck.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #7

Garage
The A4 Quattro with winters on it was fun in the winter, but i switched over to a beemer with X-Drive so we'll see how that is... Lots of fun going down roads and doing 4-wheel drifting... Once the rea snow comes we get out the snowmobiles and put the cars away - LOL
Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #8

^ I agree!
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
The A4 Quattro with winters on it was fun in the winter, Lots of fun going down roads and doing 4-wheel drifting...
Love our Forester for this... although the wife doesn't think it's so damn amusing.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote