986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Show and Tell Gallery (http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/)
-   -   Detailed my friends car... (http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/30950-detailed-my-friends-car.html)

WhipE350 11-05-2011 11:25 AM

Detailed my friends car...

5 Attachment(s)
My friend 'tuanle16' left his car with me while he went out of town. I compounded and polished his paint, Leatherique'd the seats, painted his calipers, and cleaned ten years of brake dust off inside of wheels. Came out very nice!

Last picture was from Cars & Coffee, a friend of ours was pretending to admire it, it was very windy and cold but the turn out was still great. I'll post a couple of the interesting cars I saw.

WhipE350 11-05-2011 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh and the brakes!

landrovered 11-05-2011 11:37 AM

................Purdy!

ddb 11-05-2011 11:57 AM

Great job, Whip! I'm sure tuanle16 is going to love it!

san rensho 11-05-2011 03:24 PM

Wow, gorgeous. Can I be your friend and leave my car with you when I go out of town?

WhipE350 11-05-2011 06:48 PM

Do I get a free place to stay in Miami during Jan :cheers:. Actually my prices are too reasonable. I only use random orbital so as to not risk damage or removing too much clear coat. It takes much longer but the results are amazing. I'll even lightly wet sand on occasion.

tuanle16 11-05-2011 07:34 PM

yes. agreed. amazing!!! while i was out of town, whip sent me some pics of the process. i couldn't help but keep staring at the pics. anyone out there in the charlotte area, YOU HAVE TO SEE WHIP!!! he loves doing this and it's his side business. I'm the fortunate guy to be his 2nd customer.

Mrmaddbrad 11-06-2011 07:27 AM

You said you compounded it? Do you use a rubbing compound over the entire car? Or just on the places where the minor scratches are?

Ever try claybarring cars?

tonycarreon 11-06-2011 10:04 AM

holy crap.

i just came in from washing mine and now i feel so very very inadequate. :)

i spend a few days in charlotte every so often so i might have to give you a buzz.

WhipE350 11-06-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 263142)
You said you compounded it? Do you use a rubbing compound over the entire car? Or just on the places where the minor scratches are?

Ever try claybarring cars?

Ya forgot to mention, I clay barred before I started. I consider anything with abrasives that break down to be a compound. I call anything with very very minimal abrasives to be a polish. I'm sure others have different definitions. I've used sand paper from 1500 to 3000, and compounds from heavy (abrasives equivalent to ~1200 grit), med, fine, then just a base compound like 3m, Meguiars, Zaino PC (though the Zaino PC is pretty great at removing or rounding most mild swirls, especially if a lubricant is used). All base compounds will milkify especially on black and require careful polishing to remove before waxing. On my 2009 MB I decided to never do it because the swirls were so minor that I didn't feel making the paint slightly milky, though swirl free, was worth it. I use a 6 speed random orbital, it takes more time but works great.

WhipE350 11-06-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycarreon (Post 263166)
holy crap.

i just came in from washing mine and now i feel so very very inadequate. :)

i spend a few days in charlotte every so often so i might have to give you a buzz.

Come on by, just leave enough time to down some beers and grill some steaks! PM me. :cheers:

tuanle16 11-06-2011 08:13 PM

man. i just got her back and she is a beauty!!! so impressed with whip's work. the car looks freaking brand new!! i'm nervous to drive it. if you are in charlotte, you HAVE TO give him a try. trust me. you won't be disappointed. his prices are so low too, i feel like i'm taking advantage of him.

Mrmaddbrad 11-08-2011 04:54 PM

Mind me asking what your prices are like?

WhipE350 11-08-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 263466)
Mind me asking what your prices are like?

No problem, I sent long PM.

l3m 11-09-2011 03:00 AM

Nice work Whip. What do you use to clean the brake dust on the inside of the wheels?

WhipE350 11-09-2011 07:11 PM

I normally don't have to clean 9 years of brake dust off the inside of a wheel, I used anything I could get my hands on. I was even going to post looking for ideas. I ended up using several types of the brake cleaners found at automotive stores, then a lot of dawn, power washer, then some 3000 grit sand paper, I figured they couldn't get any worse. In the end they came out ok, maybe a 3 on a scale of 10 in the Porsche wheel world :).

I'm looking for ideas if I run into any more like this. I know when I got my Boxster which is two years older it was pretty bad two. I used pretty much the same process and they are decent too.

tuanle16 11-10-2011 06:27 PM

paint them black

WhipE350 11-10-2011 08:08 PM

Oh now you tell me! Let me at'em, always like a good experiment.

l3m 11-11-2011 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipE350 (Post 263631)
I normally don't have to clean 9 years of brake dust off the inside of a wheel, I used anything I could get my hands on. I was even going to post looking for ideas. I ended up using several types of the brake cleaners found at automotive stores, then a lot of dawn, power washer, then some 3000 grit sand paper, I figured they couldn't get any worse. In the end they came out ok, maybe a 3 on a scale of 10 in the Porsche wheel world :).

I'm looking for ideas if I run into any more like this. I know when I got my Boxster which is two years older it was pretty bad two. I used pretty much the same process and they are decent too.

I've read good reviews about these 2 products.

Wolf's Chemicals WF-1NT Wheel Cleaner
Optimum Power Clean

My 10-year old wheels are full of brake dust on the inside of the wheel. I'll get one of these cleaners and see how they do.

schnellman 11-11-2011 04:03 AM

First Porsche

When I got my first Porsche I was living in Germany in a rented house without a garage. When I washed the car I took the wheels off one at a time and took them in the bath tub to scrub them front and back. That is, until my landlord had a problem. I didn't understand all of his German, but I did figure out he was pretty unhappy. When I later bought a house there I made sure I had a garage and a good place to wash the next Porsche.