Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2005, 06:24 AM   #1

Modded Boxster - New to the Club

I'm new to the club so I thought I'd share some pics of my boxster.

1999 Boxster (White with Black Top); 28,000 miles
-Turbo Performance Center Supercharger
-B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust
-B&M Short-Shifter
-Eibach Springs
-Alpine Navigation/GPS System
-Aerokit with GT3 Type II Euro Style Front Bumper, Integrated Third Brake Light Spoiler, and Gemballa Rear Diffuser
-Clear Front, Side, and Rear Lights
-Red Brake Calipers, with White Porsche Labeling
-TechArt Side Air In-takes
-18" Sport Design Factory Wheels
-Xenon Litronic Headlights
-Carbon Fiber Door Jams
-White Hard Top
-Wind Deflector
-Alpine 6-CD Changer, plus Factory In-dash Single Disc Player
-Aluminum Pedals, Shifter, Hand Brake
-Custom White Interior (Dash, Console Tray, Rollbar Covers, Gauges)
-"986" Badging
-Valentine One Laser/Radar Detector Wiring

Next objective is to change my steering wheel to the 3-prong so thanks to RandallNeighbour and Perfectlap for their comments.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for having me.

Boxster3000

Last edited by boxster3000; 06-13-2005 at 06:34 AM.
boxster3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:41 AM   #2

Thumbs up

Gorgeous and unique.

Welcome to our Forum. We hope you enjoy it!!!!

Thanks for the great Pics.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:59 AM   #3

Wow, it looks great. Only thing that I would change are those red seat covers.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:02 AM   #4

Hey, tell us about the supercharger... what did it cost, how much HP gain did you get off the wheels (dyno results would be great!) and on a scale of 1-10, can you feel the difference in power on both the low, mid and high speed ranges?

Love your mods. I'm betting you do not have a wife and kids, right?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:37 AM   #5

ha ha...i occassionally get grief for the seat covers but i've become fond of the red. they mostly serve a functional purpose for me in the hot and humid chicago summers. i find that i don't sweat as much with them there as opposed to the black leather.

the supercharger is courtesy of turbo performance center in maryland. it was about $6k for the supercharger plus installation and gave me close to 50% more horses and torque over the stock. i'd say it's about an 8.5 overall (higher on low and mid, lower on high speed ranges). it's nice to have but i rarely get to stretch it now that i live in the city. i can tell you that i whip my friend's c4.

no kids but i do have a wife. but the car came b4 the wife and also would be the last to go...

thanks for the comments.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:10 PM   #6
Lux

Nice looking car.

Why does the rear diffuser look like it's falling off though? Other than that (and the seat covers ), car looks mean. Dig the 986 badge on the back. Nice touch.

BTW, do you have a digital camera that can take short movies? I'd like to hear what that B&B Triflo sounds like.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:39 PM   #7

good eye on the diffuser, lux. unfortunately, the mean city streets of chicago have taken a toll on the bottoms of my front and rear ends. there have been a few occassions where i've literally stopped traffic behind me because i was too afraid to proceed past an armageddon pothole. needless to say i've had the front bumper and diffuser repainted a couple of times. the diffuser is secure but needs to be reconnected at the front. with the old lady calling the shots now it's more difficult to get it fixed immediately.

i'll post a video of the triflo when i get a chance...probably later this week. the exhaust note is my favorite part of the car.

your car in your signature looks awesome and sinister. may i see more pictures of it (i.e. rear, interior, other mods)?

thanks for your comments. take it easy.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:11 AM   #8

very nice mods, could you explain wich alpine units you have, i saw your screen is dash mounted, and looks quite factory, could you also post some close up pics?
looks really good!
jpcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:01 AM   #9

thanks jp. the 6-disc cd changer (#993-645-130-00) was installed by the dealer. a third-party installed the alpine lcd monitor (alp-tme006sa) and alpine navigation unit (alp-nva751as).

attached is a closer view of the interior. let me know if you have any other questions. what mods are you working on?

Last edited by boxster3000; 06-15-2005 at 06:21 AM. Reason: resizing pic
Old 06-14-2005, 07:19 AM   #10
Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster3000
your car in your signature looks awesome and sinister. may i see more pictures of it (i.e. rear, interior, other mods)?
Thaks for the compliments. I haven't done much to my car. Only added Aerokit II and B&M shifter. Eibach/Bilstein is next. Thinking about silver console. After that, maybe some wheels and that'll be it. Here's my recent pics: Detailing My Black Daily Driver (pictorial...56K maybe)
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:50 AM   #11

the gauges and white cluster thingy reminds me of those old 911 RS cars from the 70's.

Yep you need a three spoker on that steering wheel.
maybe consider GT3 seats like I have in Black.

I might look at different wheels in the future. You have allot of body modifications and it just seems strange seeing those Porsche wheels on there.
maybe have your current wheels painted black or red and add the painted center caps and polish the outer lip,
Yellow calipers look kick ass with red wheels? (see GT3 photo below)

the door graphics below would also be eye catching on your white Boxster.
Its a very classic styling detail on white Porsches.
instead of having GT3 printed I would go with just Porsche, 986 or Speedster.
The fade effect on the front and rear bumpers looks very nice.

for the bumper maybe have some RS style inlets cut out like the GT3 RS.
I have a new GT3 bumper($1100)
I think its the Supercup version with the hole
for the tow hook, unless all the GT3 bumpers have this hole. not sure
I plan to have the RS inlets cut out as well.
Or maybe wedging in a set of GT2 louvers($150)
between the hood and bumper edge.

You can add a lower lip spoiler ($200 call VENEK) and have it painted red.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-14-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:53 PM   #12

very compelling ideas, mr. lap. however, i said to myself in the beginning that i didn't want to exceed in cost the price of a carrera and your suggestions would fall outside of that criteria. very radical ideas nonetheless. but while many feel i'm contradicting myself, i didn't want the mods to be too gaudy.

i hear you though on the steering wheel and like your inlet ideas. do you have any pics of your gt3 bumper? also, your gt3 seats are one of the most unique mods that i have yet to see on a boxster. good work.

Last edited by boxster3000; 06-14-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #13

I like it...

is that the 'carrera' white?
I was thinking of doing skirts / bumper / diffuser like yours but the maintenance of them sounds like a headache (mine's a daily driver).
love those air scoops...I have the same and I can't tell you how many people notice them and comment.
black wheels would look killer on there...but I'm a fan of black wheels on a white car. ;-)

I'm probably going to be selling mine, as I just picked up some custom painted kinesis k58's (black centers, polished lips).
Old 06-14-2005, 10:03 PM   #14

The GT3 seats are the greatest thing I have ever done to a car. sooo supportive for my screwed up back. After a three hour bike ride its the perfect remedy.
Tons of comments, even from people in the next lane. this guy put them in them in this Gulf inspired livery.

This is the same bumper I have, the owner put in the RS inlets with rounded edges instead of the square style inlets like on the new GT3 MK2 (like the white GT3 RS above).
Unfortunately its still sitting unpainted in the corner with the new style GT3 side skirts (also like pic above) I picked up for $430 delivered from precisionporsche.com
The lower lip spoiler is also a must have.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-14-2005 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster3000
thanks jp. the 6-disc cd changer (#993-645-130-00) was installed by the dealer. a third-party installed the alpine lcd monitor (alp-tme006sa) and alpine navigation unit (alp-nva751as).

attached is a closer view of the interior. let me know if you have any other questions. what mods are you working on?
Thx for the picture, it looks good, especially the white painting, likeit on your car, I was planningto paint those piece in black on mine.
future mods: Caractere front bumper, 18" Turbo wheels, and a kenwood 7025 2 din multimedia radio (all in one) it should fit where your screen is fitted, looks very good, and only 1 unit for all (cd, tuner, dvd, navi, mp3, wma with touchscreen)
for the moment I'm upgrading the rest of the stereo (high end focal speakers, 5 channel amp,...) pics can be found here:
http://board.carstyling.net/showthread.php?t=42435
jpcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:11 AM   #16

it's a good thing i don't hangout with any of you guys because i'd be constantly tempted to keep modding. some sweet ideas all the way around.

lap, that front bumper is going to be killer once it's on. be sure you post pics of it. fuhrius, props on the white, i feel like there aren't very many of them around (at least where i am). i have what i think was called "glacier" white, which may be synonymous with "carrera" white. perhaps reconsider the side skirts and rear bumper w/diffuser. from your pics, it already looks like you have an aero front bumper, right? so, clearance wouldn't be too different. my problem is that my car was dropped when the eibach springs were installed so the issues i talk about are moreso because of that. just don't drop it. i would love to get the front lip that lap speaks of but that thing would be scratched by the time i got out of my garage.

lap, would you mind telling me how much the racing seats were and/or where you purchased them? i'm going to tell my wife that it'll drastically help my posture. similar to the line i gave her about how the 3-spoke wheel w/white inserts will increase my ability to avoid life-threatening accidents.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:26 AM   #17

Look how similar the interior on this $120,000 car and my $32,000 car are!
I doubt you'll se too more similar interiors at such a dramtically different price.

The GT3 seats are way expensive. My set were used but practically new from ebay $1700. A friend got them for his GT3 (you can't get them Stock in the U.S.)
for about $2300 new. The dealer and places like Mid America want about $3000-$4000 but no one ever pays that. Installation is a piece of cake because they use the same mounting points, you only have to unscrew the female seat belt receiver to the GT3 seat.

Yes once again this morning I didn't have time to get to the body shop to get the skirting done I order all this stuff in April and its almost July!

p.s. Last night I got home at 11 pm and did a full detailing until 1 am.
I need help, but that brake dust was sitting on my 5 spokes for two days in the
blazing sun. The NXT should give them some SPF, its been scorching hot this week.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-15-2005 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #18

clarification on my mods

I don't have the eare front bumper, or any other body mods except the techart air intakes. I do have the car dropped already with techart (made by eibach) springs...approx 1" drop. I like the look and handling of the car dropped, so I'll just probably forego any bumper / diffuser mods...though I really like the look of the rear diffuser. I am considering side skirts though. One the seats...there was a guy on the PCA forums selling GT3 seats that were basically new (two sets, one set brown, one set black) a little ways back for $1k...killer deal. I bought my B&M short shift kit, EVO linkage, and techart billet alum shift knob from him and they were perfect, so I have no hesitation recommending him as a seller. He's a well-known boxster enthusiast on other boards with a killer white ruf 3400 conversion. His is 'Biarritz' white like mine (they only did the biarritz white for a couple of years...it's a little softer / creamier and I just dig the color...I bought mine used about 9 months ago and just fell in love with the color when I saw it. Then I fell in love with the sound of the car after all the engine mods the previous owner had done!)
I took some pics of my interior last night and will post those seperately, as well as pics of the new kinesis rims I just mounted.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:39 AM   #19

FURIUS you need my side skirts! Precisionporsche.com took a long time to send them to me but the fit and finish is excellent. I was able to test fit them without using the hardware. $430 delivered for the new style GT3 MK2 (most boxsters have GT3 Mk1) is a darn good price. Too bad it took a month to make.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #20

I'll have to check those out...

here are some marginal pics I took last night...just got my newly-painted kinesis k58's on the rears last night (10" with 285 pilots sports...not a lot of room left in there, but no rubbing noticeable); also pics of my favorite mod to date: the techart billet aluminum shift knob which I found used for $150, techart-style alum pedals which I got from brandywineporche for $170, and you can see the other painted insets in the interior. Look closely in the pic of the pedals and you'll see the knog, nicely integrated and hidden away for the front and rear laser / radar detectors the previous owner had installed; and lastly, the nice 'false floor' in the front trunk that was made with nice hard acrylic ccovers for the sony amps for the stereo. The stereo heaad is a removeable blaupunkt unit with a blaupunkt 5 disc changer underneath it (for a total of 6) with new speakers all around and big woofers under the seats which end up sounding really good.