Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #1

Homelink Mod

Anyone interested in my Homelink garage door opener mod that I'm making currently? I've got a Homelink system that I'm integrating into the "batwing" of my boxster. The result should be very clean (depending on your ability with the dremel tool)

I'll post pics or put up a website if anyone is interested.

And this is the homelink transmitter that I used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7946849231&category=50 459

JBG

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 02-14-2005 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Adding Link
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:56 PM   #2

Hi,

I'm very interested in your homelink system, please let us know, and show us the results!

regards
jpcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
RYU

Boxster Integrated Garage Door Opening

I noticed this on Pelican Parts sometime ago.
Have not tried it yet, but some of you may be interested.
It looks like a pretty clean install with factory switches.

-RYU
Old 02-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
RYU

Boxster Integrated Garage Door Opening

web address:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_garage_door/box_garage_door2.htm
Old 02-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #5

Ryu,

Actually, I'm doing a different mod. The Homelink system is something put in new cars these days that will learn from any garage remote. I'm taking the batwing and cutting 3 holes in it for the buttons and hard wiring it into my car's power system.

I'm in the middle of the mod, but I've got some pics.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:14 PM   #6

Your work does look very clean. Batwing = the panel just above the shifter console? In my ample spare time I planned to do the opener hack, but this would be a better solution for me (have heated seats ).
Old 02-15-2005, 06:53 PM   #7

Thanks Donv. I was worried about the holes I put in there as they are not round but oval. I had to do all of that by hand and really just eyeball it. I've got wires attached to the unit already and have tested it out of my vehicle. The unit works like a champ! I should have bought another one as it was only 20 bucks.

There is some work getting the 'ribs' out of the back of the batwing which is indeed the trim piece right above the console. That is where a lot of people have seat warmers as those in boston should have . The ribs in the back was much easier to do because it doesn't show and there is enough rigidity in the back to support the button unit, and it fits perfectly.

I'm trying to figure out how to make sure that while I'm pressing the buttons, it doens't push out the button unit out of the batwing. I was just going to use epoxy, but I'm not sure that its going to hold enough. I think I'm going to put 2 holes in the side ribs and epoxy a nail (or some sort of metal bar) that will press the back of the button unit up against the back of the batwing.

Its hard to describe, when I get that part done, I'll take some more pics. Its just slow going because ... well, I'm being lazy and I want to get it done right

I think I"m going to put up a web page with all the instructions when I get it all done, unfortunately, the guy who sold this to me on ebay doesn't seem to have any on sale right now. When I bought mine, he had 30 for sale at the same time for 20 bucks.

Anyway, more to come in the near future. I've got to figure out where I'm going to tape the power from or just wire it directly into the fuse box. That should be an interesting part as there is a ton of wires back in the console, but I don't know which wires are providing constant power.

If anyone knows which colored wires provide constant power in the console behind the radio and climate control, let me know I'd like to just tap power instead of wire power to the fuse box.

JBG
Old 02-16-2005, 07:01 PM   #8

I'll see if I can find something in the info I had from doing the rear speaker kit - obviously there is constant power supplied to the radio (or else you'd need to recode the security key each time it was powered on ). You should be easily able to route the power down from there.

On the epoxy topic, be sure to test it on one of the scraps you've cut off to be sure it won't just eat all the way through your now precious work!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:05 PM   #9

Radio power wires?

Sorry, nothing in my notes or in the tech bulletin for the speaker install that shows the power wiring for the radio... one of the other folks that bought the service manual should have a wiring diagram?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #10

Here is the back of the CDR-220.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:45 PM   #11

Finished Product!

Okay, I've installed my mod today. It works like a champ! I haven't tried to re-programming the unit yet, and I hope the transmitter isn't too far away from the buttons, but I'll figure that out as we go along.

Okay, the car is dirty. Please forgive me I'll get her cleaned up tonight. How embarassing.

JBG

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 02-21-2005 at 02:49 PM.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #12

Nice! It looks good!

Now clean your car!

PasadenaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote