986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Show and Tell Gallery (http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/)
-   -   Just Got My New Rockers & Front Bumper (http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/19484-just-got-my-new-rockers-front-bumper.html)

trieullionaire 01-31-2009 03:39 PM

Just Got My New Rockers & Front Bumper

Wooohooo! I'm uber stoked right now. Waited a very long time to get a set of rockers and front bumper. Tell me what you guys think? I know it looks a bit smaller but I think my car does run cooler now with the new mod.

trieullionaire 01-31-2009 07:49 PM

Sneak Peak before it gets painted

Okay I had post this on Renntech but you guys are like family so I'm not going to make you wait till the the bumper and rockers get painted....

From Renntech..."Anyways, here is first looks of my 2000 Boxster with a body kit. I love the new look, it truly transform the look into a much more aggressive looking boxster. New exhaust and headers, and this baby is good to go. I spent quite a few hours today just looking at it and taking some pictures before it gets painted this coming week. I am posting a few sneak peaks before it is totally finished and painted.

I am changing out the black headlight covers, I think I am going to paint them biarritz white like my car. For those of you that haven't seen this color, it is an off white that has a hint of cream color to it. It's actually very nice, I prefer it over the bright whites you see on a lot of Japanese cars. The only white I would prefer over this would probably be the metallic pearl white that you see on some of the Escalades...that is really nice. Anyhow, I did do a very rough mock up in Photoshop to see how the white covers would look and once I get the front grills painted, and I think it works for me. The two big black headlight covers really is distracting and ruining the ensemble of my body kit, so it is going bye bye.

Anyhow, enjoy the pics."

Motobob 01-31-2009 07:56 PM

Very nice. Agree, the black trim has to go! Which kit was this and where did you get it? Bob

trieullionaire 01-31-2009 09:04 PM

Hey Bob,

Sorry I just figure people followed some of the other threads I had mentioned about my new body kit but it is from Fiberwerks, excuse my absent mindedness. It is the Aero GTR front bumper and GT3 side skirts I bought from them.

I don't live too far away, so Karl, the owner was nice enough to install both rockers and front bumper for me this past Friday. It was pretty amazing to see how precise these parts were fitted on, (not that there were any other option though as I get really irritated with sloppy work and hack jobs to make something fit). Anyhow, my hats off to Karl, he did a spectacular job and was cool with me watching the entire install. Definitely a craftsman in his own right. Anyhow, excited to get it painted though, the dull white coating on it is like a glass half empty...I want to get it done and ready for 48 Hours Sebring in early February.

Cheers Bob, glad we are in agreement about the headlight covers. Not too many people were thrilled when I first put the black covers on, except for Kirk who thought it look alright...in my book Kirk rocks! But I got to tell you, seeing the mock up, I think the white painted covers actually looks really good on the car. I've seen them on www.g-eur.jp and I think it looks pretty cool.

Christian H 02-01-2009 07:24 AM

"Aggressive" thats an understatement! the white headlight covers look good (but I liked them black too!)
Your other half must be very understanding because you sure show a lot of love to your car!

Boxtaboy 02-01-2009 10:25 AM

I'd probably get rid of the headlight covers altogether, but I must say the car looks really cool. Good job!

Motobob 02-01-2009 11:34 AM

I went to the Fiberwerks site and was very impressed with their product; I REALLY like their new product...gotta find a reason to replace mine... :) Bob

Kirk 02-02-2009 08:27 AM

I'd paint the covers to match the car. I think the black covers look good and certainly look better than without, but the painted covers look even better! As long as you're getting the bumper painted and color matched to the car, what are the headlight covers going to cost to get painted? Like maybe $50-100? I'd go for it as you'll get a good break on the price now with having the bumper and side skirts painted at the same time.

Kirk

trieullionaire 02-02-2009 02:14 PM

They're being painted as we speak

Hey guys,

Yeah I think painted headlight covers is the way to go. In fact it is too late to change my mind. :D I just dropped it off and parts are going to be finished by Wednesday morning. The front grills will be shipped out tomorrow to get powder coated in black.

BTW, I am getting my rear bumper covers painted too. So no more black rubber bumpers. If no hickups, I should have my baby back in 1 piece by Wednesday afternoon ready for a bit of waxing and polishing. And some photos to share by the weekend. Is anyone attending the 48 Hour Sebring event this coming weekend?

trieullionaire 02-02-2009 07:32 PM

Better pic

I prefer this picture, it gives you a better idea of how the sculpting of the rockers.

Boxtaboy 02-03-2009 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trieullionaire
I prefer this picture, it gives you a better idea of how the sculpting of the rockers.

I think it looks great. One thing though- is it me, or does the front bumper and skirts look like they are more white than the rest of the car? Seems as if the rest of the car is more creamy white than the bumper and skirts.

EDIT: Oops, just realized you had them on as a test fit, and will get them painted.

trieullionaire 02-09-2009 05:57 AM

Painted!

I just have a couple photos thus far...I don't recommend driving on gravel roads prior to taking photos :o

trieullionaire 02-09-2009 05:59 AM

1 more

Another shot

Brucelee 02-09-2009 07:38 AM

Very very nice. Great job! :dance:

bone37 02-11-2009 08:26 AM

very nice looking good. :dance:

trieullionaire 02-11-2009 08:46 PM

Fyi

Thanks for the positive feedbacks, hey guys just an fyi...

Pasted from Renntech message I wrote..."Fiberwerks just posted a body kit special for the 986 Boxster, they have some pics of my car posted...considering all of my aero components have come from their shop with the exception of the rear diffusers I guess it was a good choice on their part :p I got my spoiler from them early last year and I guess it is included in the special they're running currently for the Boxster, so it's a pretty sweet deal. I can't complain though, Karl's done quite a bit for me with this most recent purchase especially with the extra time he put into installing the body kit for me...so I'm appreciative if anything. Anyone interested in their aero components, I would recommend it in a heartbeat...definitely raises the cool factors quite a few notches for the good'ol box and the fitment is superb.

http://fiberwerks.com/boxster_specials.htm "

Here are my latest pics...bw photos. Hey Bruce, will there be a feature where multiple pictures get a picture link instead of text link in the future? That would be pretty awesome.

trieullionaire 03-06-2009 06:14 AM

Fiberwerks Ad

Hey guys,

We have offered to assist Fiberwerks with some of the interior upgrades to spiff up a rebuild project they have underway. Karl wants to chronicle the rebuild of a 986 w/ a blown engine and completely upgrade everything from body to interior to an upgraded 996 3.4 engine. They are looking for additional sponsors btw, at any rate it should be pretty interesting to see how it all comes together.

Anyhow, I thought this was pretty awesome. I had sent Fiberwerks photos of my vehicle which as you all know is white, and they must of had a graphic artist or an ad agency put something together that was more main stream. Karl sent me couple of these postcard ads this morning. I thought it was pretty cool, especially with the gun powder looking rims.

Boxtaboy 03-06-2009 06:29 AM

I think the kit looks great. Question- did you have to remove your radiator ducts that normally sit behind that front bumper, or did you keep them in place? Reason I ask is because those plastic radiator ducts normally direct the air to the radiators as well as shielding the 2 horns behind them from rain water when your car is at speed or when you are car washing. Water will kill those horns.

trieullionaire 03-06-2009 07:39 AM

Radiator ducts

Hey thanks Boxtaboy. The radiator ducts are still there, intact. I think it would look somewhat awkward without them. With the ducts being black with the black grill mesh helps keep the vent area look pitch dark, just the way I like it. Who knows maybe one day I'll install some leds in the center mesh for a bit of accent...although that might raise some eyebrows.

Btw, I thought this was kinda funny. Had a discussion with another Porsche owner the other day and he gave me an analogy of the variety of Porsche people out there. Here it is:
1. You got your leftist - ultra liberal. Leave no mods undone. I think I fall into this group - although my budget probably would prefer to identify with group 3.
2. You got your centrist - the moderates. Some mods are acceptable even aftermarket. But prefer not to overdo it.
3. You got the rightist <--is that a word? - ultra conservative. Factory rocks! OEM approved items only.
4. And then you got some guys who probably fall somewhere between these different groups if it was a sliding scale.

I'm glad there are all these different groups to be honest, each can be appreciated in their logic and approach to ownership. So which are you?

Boxtaboy 03-06-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trieullionaire
So which are you?

I would be a number 2. :)

That's cool that the radiator ducts are still in place. Great mod I say, then!