986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Show and Tell Gallery (http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/)
-   -   Rear Speakers Installed (http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/18995-rear-speakers-installed.html)

9eighty6 12-08-2008 04:23 AM

Rear Speakers Installed

Hello Everyone -

Well, this weekend I tackled the rear speaker installation. Let me just say WOW! It is quite an upgrade compared to how flat the stereo sounded with solely the stock speakers in the dash. The sound is much more 3D and is just awesome. I used the OEM kit which was fantastic. I would say difficulty is about a 7/10. Only took about 3 hours or so and was well worth-it. As others have already agreed, this mod is highly reccomended! :D ... let me know if you have any questions.

Here are the speakers going into the storage compartment:
http://986forum.com/forums/attachmen...id=10056&stc=1

And the finished product:
http://986forum.com/forums/attachmen...id=10057&stc=1

Christian H 12-08-2008 06:19 AM

Very nice! been thinking about doing it myself, how did you run the speaker cable through? is it a seat out job or can it be threaded down the side of the carpet or through the centre console?

:cheers:

9eighty6 12-08-2008 07:05 AM

This was not a seat-out job. I ran the cable underneath the carpet on the passenger side (adjacent to door sill).

drem914 12-08-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9eighty6
This was not a seat-out job. I ran the cable underneath the carpet on the passenger side (adjacent to door sill).

I did the same upgrade a couple of weeks ago. The cable can be run in the door sill also without any trouble fishing it through. Adding the speakers does wonders for the imaging of the sound. Currently the whole kit is available from Sunset Imports porscheatcost@****************************************************.com for around $80 plus shipping while the supplies last. Well worth it.

Christian H 12-08-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drem914
I did the same upgrade a couple of weeks ago. The cable can be run in the door sill also without any trouble fishing it through. Adding the speakers does wonders for the imaging of the sound. Currently the whole kit is available from Sunset Imports porscheatcost@****************************************************.com for around $80 plus shipping while the supplies last. Well worth it.

Thanks guys,
Looks like an ideal xmas present to myself!

:dance:

RandallNeighbour 12-08-2008 10:36 AM

I did this mod and I have a couple of thoughts on it...

1. Stuff the area behind the speakers with pillow foam. It helps with the sound quality. Try it both ways and decide for yourself.

2. I routed the wire behind the passenger carpeted pillar along the bottom of the floor carpet to the center console. Then, I tucked it under the console to the front of the car along the passenger side. This was far easier than unscrewing all that stuff by the door sill.

3. I've yet to replace my dash speakers and door speakers (they are all factory now) but I replaced my head unit and got rid of that Becker crap head unit. Wow. If you think adding rear speakers makes the sound better in your car, just see what a $200 Alpine head unit does for sound quality, even using the factory amp and factory speakers!

... yeah, it doesn't look like a factory stereo, but frankly, a decent sounding audio system is a lot more important to me than a factory looking dashboard.

trieullionaire 12-10-2008 05:40 PM

Amp by-pass

I installed an aftermarket double din a while ago. I did the basic hook up to the amp back then due to time constraint.

At any rate, over the past weekend, I upgraded my front door speakers w/ some 5 1/4 Infinity two way speakers with built in tweeters (using existing baffle). After locating the wiring diagram of the factory HAES 40x4 amp, I decided to go the by pass route and routed my door subs to a 500 watt 2 channel Kicker and the dash speakers direct to the head unit along with the rear speakers. It is 10x better than having my original set up...even w/out the kicker amp the music was still louder and clearer through the Avic Mosfet 50x4 amp during my testing.

Something else I did while I had my head unit out was have everything prewired for future upgrades, such as video/audio inputs (planning on getting a hd tuner), sub woofer, 6x9 speakers, and a wire set up for a "Engine Start" button going to the empty buttons on the left side of the console...I also added some led lights (tucked away in the corner so it's nicely concealed in the door compartments wired to the door lights, so when you open the door at night, the compartment have a nice white glow to it...kinda like the illuminated door sills not as cool though.

cut2muz 04-27-2010 11:15 PM

Where to get

Love the speaker install kit...where do I get it? Did the grills come with?

Many thanks,
Donny

93 GTR HVSR Full Race w/transporter
99 NSX Comtech Mods galore...a bit swift
01 Boxster S....new project, inside and out...handles like a GT3
Merc CLK 55

boxster6354 04-28-2010 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cut2muz
Love the speaker install kit...where do I get it? Did the grills come with?

Many thanks,
Donny

93 GTR HVSR Full Race w/transporter
99 NSX Comtech Mods galore...a bit swift
01 Boxster S....new project, inside and out...handles like a GT3
Merc CLK 55

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-97-02-PORSCHE-986-BOXSTER-GENUINE-REAR-SPEAKER-KIT-/220537781601?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Speakers&hash=ite m3359137d61#ht_1645wt_834

23109VC 04-30-2010 07:28 PM

my car came with that speaker kit installed...BUT the grills are gone...so the speakers are visible... any way to get just the grills..or you think a stereo shop coudl fab some for me cheap?

or is there way to DIY that is easy??? i htink my setup would look a lot cleaner with grills in there......

jendra 06-21-2010 10:11 PM

I think that You want to install new speaker over the exist speaker. I thought that Whenever You will play the music, The speaker would be play so terrible and epic sound. I will also plan to replace the oddy speaker and get new speaker inplace of it.