Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #1

Deambered

Here are a few updated pics deambered and with the wheels professionally painted. Just got finished washing her and snapped a few. I put the chromed out amber bulbs in the side markers and taillights, haven't had the nerve to do the amberectomy. Yet. EDIT: forgot to mention I added aftermarket 6500K xenon bulbs to the haolgens. Big improvement over the old bulbs. I had a 997 stopped right next to me at a light and the colors were a pretty good match, the only diff was the 997's light cutoff was much sharper.

Last edited by shaman1204; 06-02-2008 at 10:53 AM.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #2

Looks great, love the black wheels!!!
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #3

Bulb Question

She looks great Shaman, Do the xenon bulbs you refer to fit directly into the old halogens or did you do the complete swap out?
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #4

looking at all these nice rides is getiing me motivated to get my pics up. I still need to get a few of the inside first. Nice ride you got there
Ken
SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blue
She looks great Shaman, Do the xenon bulbs you refer to fit directly into the old halogens or did you do the complete swap out?

Not exactly sure what you mean Tom but I'll try to answer your question. I bought the 6500K xenon HID retrofit kit that came with slim ballasts from ebay for around $85. The new xenon bulbs fit directly into the old halogen bulb spot, but I had to modify the back plate of the headlight housing for the wiring. Here are a few pics I snapped, sorry for the crappy cellphone quality.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #6

Nice car. But I never understood the appeal of black wheels. It takes all the definition out of it, hard to see the details, it just looks like it has steel snow wheels on it. I find something lighter wheels makes the car look much better, check it out side by side.

Anyway, to each his/her own! Lights seem good, but beware the melting of the headlight lens, which will happen over time, and then you have no choice but to replace the whole thing, might be better off getting real litronics from the get-go.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
Not exactly sure what you mean Tom but I'll try to answer your question. I bought the 6500K xenon HID retrofit kit that came with slim ballasts from ebay for around $85. The new xenon bulbs fit directly into the old halogen bulb spot, but I had to modify the back plate of the headlight housing for the wiring. Here are a few pics I snapped, sorry for the crappy cellphone quality.
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed,
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy
Nice car. But I never understood the appeal of black wheels. It takes all the definition out of it, hard to see the details, it just looks like it has steel snow wheels on it. I find something lighter wheels makes the car look much better, check it out side by side.

Anyway, to each his/her own! Lights seem good, but beware the melting of the headlight lens, which will happen over time, and then you have no choice but to replace the whole thing, might be better off getting real litronics from the get-go.
I researched the HID retrofits and I'm pretty sure the xenon bulbs run cooler than the stock halogens. Plus, with the clear halogen headlights and xenon conversion kit I'm still under $600 total.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #9

Are those sidemarkers clear or smoked?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
shaman1204,

The car looks great! I love the dark gray color (the name escapes me right now) and the black wheels!

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #11

Stroked, they are the clear sidemarkers with the chromed bulbs that illuminate amber.

Thanks, ddb, the color is metallic seal grey.