986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Show and Tell Gallery (http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/)
-   -   986 speedster humps (http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/16036-986-speedster-humps.html)

porscheracer01 03-26-2008 07:05 PM

986 speedster humps

this summer wish list: speedster humps..anyone has them on a red boxster? is it worth $1200? i maybe getting the aftermarket humps for half price.

70Sixter 03-27-2008 12:08 PM

I think they look good. The problem for me is that putting them on and taking them off is a pain. They would be great for day cruises in sunny weather as long as you don't have to leave the car unattended. Not worth the cost to me.

Watch out for aftermarket versions that strap to the rollbars and prevent windstop use.

der Geist 03-27-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70Sixter
I think they look good. The problem for me is that putting them on and taking them off is a pain. They would be great for day cruises in sunny weather as long as you don't have to leave the car unattended. Not worth the cost to me.

Watch out for aftermarket versions that strap to the rollbars and prevent windstop use.

Mine strap to the rollbar and I have never had a problem putting the windstop back in. How would you keep it on the car without the straps? The ears that attach to the spinlocks will not keep it on by themselves I think. Anyway, I got mine unpainted from Vertex and spent $150 to have it painted and it is till only a fraction of the OEM cost. The look is very subjective though. Seems people love it or hate it. I pretty much leave mine on all summer. If it is going to rain I'll drive a different car.

porscheracer01 03-28-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70Sixter

Mike,
Thanks...I checked some photos and it appears there is a rubber outline around the hump.. I am still debating $1000 worth it?

986speedster 03-28-2008 12:10 PM

Someone is selling a set OEM red infact on 6speedonline. cheap too with the bags

TriGem2k 03-28-2008 12:21 PM

I paid $550 I think for my OEM ones with bags and straps. Cost me $200 to have them painted by a dealers bodyshop.

FYI those bags from the dealer are $300. Make sure you get them in your deal.

986speedster 03-28-2008 12:43 PM

Sorry just rechecked and they were sold.

porscheracer01 03-29-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriGem2k
I paid $550 I think for my OEM ones with bags and straps. Cost me $200 to have them painted by a dealers bodyshop.

FYI those bags from the dealer are $300. Make sure you get them in your deal.

$550 is already a bargain for OEM. where did you buy them?. ..
I also like Carbon Fiber air intake.. pair for 400..

porscheracer01 03-29-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986speedster
Sorry just rechecked and they were sold.

thanks for checking!....they grab them fast at 6speed online.

Couper1 04-30-2008 11:25 AM

I bought a set of humps on ebay only to find out they were aftermarket. They had the rubber around the edge. They did not fit the contour of the car properly and they did not latch into the hard top mounts, they had to be straped down. I sold them back on ebay. I knew Porsche wouldn't make crap like that. I then bought OEM Humps.

Do yourself a favor and get OEM's. They fit perfect, thay latch into the hard top mount and velcro around the roll bar. It takes me 2-3 minutes to install and remove. I get so many compliments when they're on the car. That along with my Carrera turbo front bumper and people ask me what model Porsche is that?? They really make a huge difference in the looks of the car.

I'm very surprised that I don't see more Boxsters owners using them.....but at the same time I'm glad. Makes mine stand out.

RandallNeighbour 04-30-2008 11:54 AM

My humps remain in my rear trunk most of the time. One must plan carefully when going out with them on the car. A couple drops of rain and you're freaking out, trying to find an overpass so you can stop and get them off quickly and put up the top.

The other issue is that the thin velcro straps that go around the center part of the rollbar seem to lift the windscreen, thereby stretching the plastic tabs on the left and right of the center windscreen where it snaps into the rollbar. I just replaced my plastic bits last year and my windscreen is rattling again.

With all the complaints I might share, I absolutely love the look of the car with them on, especially with the side skirts and the rear diffuser. The three piece package makes the car look very fast and sleek, and I always get stares at streetlights and on the freeway, and comments whenever I'm stopped somewhere.

So, humps are a pain but make the car look cool and draw attention to it. There you have it. :D

NickCats 04-30-2008 12:27 PM

Hmm, very strange. I have the factory speed humps ( option code XAB on the sticker under the hood ) and do not have the velcro strap you guys mention...

I love the way they look, but agree with Randall that they are such a PITA to put on and take off that I have only used them once :(

Nick

Tool Pants 05-01-2008 03:51 AM

There is supposed to be a pair of velcro straps. It is some type of safety device in case the humps want to fly. I have driven without the straps. My straps have never caused a problem with the wind stop. I use the straps backwards from what Porsche says to do.

If you are missing them, don't buy them from Porsche. Porsche wants something like $10 per strap.

Kirk 05-01-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porscheracer01
$550 is already a bargain for OEM. where did you buy them?. ..

I actually picked up a pair of Porsche OEM humps for $200. If you hunt around a bit and are patient there are some really great deals out there to be found.

TriGem2k 05-01-2008 10:10 AM

I have an extra Set of OEM straps....

porscheracer01 05-01-2008 11:42 AM

Thanks for the advice...OEM humps only for my Boxster..

Stroked & Blown 05-01-2008 11:52 AM

Just ran across this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-986-987-Boxster-Speedster-Humps-PAINTED_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el 1262QQcategoryZ33652QQihZ024QQitemZ370046739924

Pre-painted knockoffs for ~$800