Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 07:26 PM   #1

Speed TV 986 program

Just saw a program called Fifth gear and they picked the Porsche Boxster as their favorite car. Based it on overall perforamance and handling. The drivers put the car through the paces and you can see how much performance you get out of our car. The program will be shown again on Our Favorite Sports Car Sat, Nov 20 7:00AM on speedtv.com so tape it or watch it.
For me it was great watching the program as it reaffirms the fact of the Porsche bloodline and of the great car we drive daily. None of the negativity from the 911 chic crowd about their model being the only "real porsche" . The 986 was shown for the brute it is on the race track or as a daily driver. In short the very best of sports cars. Watch it and you will all be proud of the 986 badge!!!

Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
Lux

Yup. I just saw it. Tiff Needle is The Man! Love those power slides! Although I have to admit...that TVR with 350hp is sweet and, to me, was the only real competition to the Boxster S.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:15 AM   #3

See my thread on driving 986 on the rain...I only start realizing now how a great sport car this Boxster is !!!
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:46 AM   #4

I'm trying to download a torrent file of it but I can't find the episode's first date of appearance.

Do you know when it first aired?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:22 PM   #5

Cool Speed TV

I only found that it aired previously in Oct 18.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:07 PM   #6
Lux

Quote:
Originally posted by RandallNeighbour

Do you know when it first aired?
From what I understand, we get the really old episodes of Fifth Gear. The Boxster S that was in that episode was an '03. They also mentioned the Z4 as a possible competitor but it wasn't "released yet". So maybe sometime around summer of '02?

BTW, anybody watch Motorweek that's on afterwards? Do they not watch Fifth Gear and Top Gear? Motorweek is worse than an infomercial.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:02 AM   #7

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lux
[B]From what I understand, we get the really old episodes of Fifth Gear. The Boxster S that was in that episode was an '03.

I went to the BBC site to see if I could get the info you wanted but I was unable. I agree with you regarding the program being older does it make much of a difference being 2003 or 2004? I don't think so. The 986 is basically the same in except for the anniversary issue model. What impressed me was the handling of the car. The way the driver threw the Boxster into the turns. After seeing the program I have come to agree with some here that have mentioned that the best hp boost or performance enhancement is drivers ed. There you learn how to extract get every horsepower and grip of the car.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:55 AM   #8

I think I found the episode, from November of 03.

If you wish to download the torrent file on it and watch it, go to this web page:

http://gear.viper007bond.com/downloads.php?display=9

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 10-20-2004 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #9

Talking

Nice site, but that's not the episode. The episode you are looking for is a comparison of about 5-8 sport cars.

It ended with the Boxster [MY1997], it began with a 2004 Boxster.

Speed channel "Our Favorite Sports Car" Sat, Nov 20 PST 7:00AM

Scott

Last edited by mrmickeymouse; 10-20-2004 at 11:06 AM.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:29 PM   #10
porsche986

hi, that program 5th gear is on every night here in the uk, its a great show. I saw that same show around a few month back and if your getting those episodes now then the best boxster show is near when they do the ultimate test with around 30 high peformance cars and the boxster comes 2nd with the 996 1st!

two porsches beats them all!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:28 AM   #11

I loved it! I was wondering when they showed all those other cars...and not the Boxster. ...and then proceeded to flog it!

We're looking to get an 01, and even my wife hoot'ed at the end of the driving session.

It's a great program (prgramme?) whereas we in the US get fed pablum by fat guys who never saw ANY car they didn't like...and they drive them like the national speed limit is 25mph.

Hell, the 5th Gear people even get to laugh while driving vs. acting as if they're performing a High Mass in front of the Queen.

Every night?! Sh_t'ski, we get old one's once a week. It's probably the only thing Rupert's done for us that I approve of. ...actually your premier league football is pretty welcome.

P986 - get a decent DVD kit and make us bootleg tapes. Send Care packages in this direction - we need nourishment! Cheers.

Jim
wetsuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 07:44 AM   #12

has anyone discovered the website with the torrent for this episode on it? I'm still searching for it! Grrr.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:33 PM   #13
porsche986

sure jim i will find the dvds and stick them on this webiste for download, stay tuned