Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

View Poll Results: Thoughts??
Good work bro,coming along nicely 18 60.00%
Damn bro,waste of a nice porsche 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #1

Old Made New-Boxster Overhaul-Satin Black-Murdered Out

Had this 97 boxster for 4yrs or so and have had big plans for it,was gonna send it down to the guys in FL and have them chop it up and build it into the Carrera GT Replica...Well Somethings always came up over the yrs and havn't quite had the cash to commit to that kinda project,and now in the last couple years I see the Zeintech Hardtop which wasnt around when I bought the car and I've rethought the entire project.Going to do the hardtop conversion soon,Add the widebody techart rearend,do the front fender swap ,new projector beams,and the t/a type ll front ...and have the interior redone(No Biggie right ,but I'm tired of seeing this Old faded out scratched up boxster sitting around looking boring as hell..Its been time to get started on this project for way too long..So Anyways seeing as how I can paint the add on pieces as I go,I took 5 days off work and overhauled the entire body..dents,dings,scratches,you name it...Dont wanna recognize a single piece of the ext of this car when I'm done...So paint scheme is a Satin Black,red calipers,everything else blacked out...couple red accents as I feel the layout come along...Anyways thought I'd start this log,share my progress/pics as I go and of course welcome all feedback/replies/etc..Out with the old,in with the new!!

Old 08-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #2

Heres a couple pics from the start,I/ll be adding as I go,and taking some better ones..97'986,arctic silver/black leather...plain old boxster,we've all seen a thousand of them:

Last edited by 3wayz; 08-30-2009 at 07:50 PM.
3wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #3

K,day 4..bodywork done($%^&*!!)Laid down some beautiful satin black,couldnt have turned out any better..2 wheels dismounted,custom painted Gloss Black w/ a nice thick red lip..Turned out amazing...still two wheels to spray tomorrow

Last edited by 3wayz; 08-30-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #4

BTW Heres my inspiration,to keep me in check and not rice things out,which when using a flat/satin black is EASY to do IMO:

Last edited by 3wayz; 08-30-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #5

Will be finishing the wheels and reinstalling the blacked out taillights/modified headlights..If any of you are thinking of going a flat black but scared,I say GO for it,but go satin..its a beautiful thing..

And I couldn't help but draw inspiration from the red calipers,black and red always goes well together,classic
Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #6

Tires touched the road for the first time today since I started this overhaul...Sun shines great off this Satin paint..Still have to work the remaining 2 rear wheels tonight and sometime get the bumper pads painted..

Last edited by 3wayz; 08-31-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #7

More pics.......
Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #8

Satin Black paint

I love that Satin Black paint on the car! IMHO just not getting the red accents though, and all the blacked out lights. I think the clear side and tails would give the paint that much more contrast and really make that paint look amazing! But I give you a lot of credit, for undertaking such a project! Thanks for sharing.
jrblackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrblackbox
I love that Satin Black paint on the car! IMHO just not getting the red accents though, and all the blacked out lights. I think the clear side and tails would give the paint that much more contrast and really make that paint look amazing! But I give you a lot of credit, for undertaking such a project! Thanks for sharing.
Actually,Further down the road I am gonna pickup some all red 'led' tails,and the sidemarkers are clears,they're just old and ****************ty,lol..and the tails were the 97's with that ugly orange on them,I hate them...lol..So I have to agree with you on the tails.All the smoked out lights are to be replaced down the road shortly,along with the rims/tires...headlights will be replaced when I do the fender coversion,and upgrade to litronics ..and half the damn entire car being scrapped!! ...And honestly,I get spray happy when I have paint left over in the gun...Hell,I Sprayed the rest on the Front door of our house!!Now we have a Satin black entry door... ;D...Anyhow thx for checkin it out,appreciate the feedback

Last edited by 3wayz; 08-31-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wayz
K,day 4..bodywork done($%^&*!!)Laid down some beautiful satin black,couldnt have turned out any better..2 wheels dismounted,custom painted Gloss Black w/ a nice thick red lip..Turned out amazing...still two wheels to spray tomorrow

I have a similar 986, and though I like what you've done, I merely want to replicate the rims. I want to keep the silver lip, but then spray the remainder of the rim black. Do you have any advice on how to do it?
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktown 986
I have a similar 986, and though I like what you've done, I merely want to replicate the rims. I want to keep the silver lip, but then spray the remainder of the rim black. Do you have any advice on how to do it?
Sure ,feel free to pm me if you want for specs...

Basically take the rim(no tire),degrease,surface sand with a 320grit paper,wipe with tack cloth,(dont tape anything off yet)shoot the outer lip with some fresh silver paint,overlap beyond where you want the "lip" line to be(doesnt matter what the paint hits,your gonna paint the entire rim next step anyways..)After its tacked/dried use some fine line tape to create your "lip" however wide you want it..you want to tape off the "lip",so as your next step is spray the entire rim,getting in the lug holes really well and all...couple coats should do..your done

Now you peel the tape off to reveal your fresh silver "lip"...and mix a couple drinks and celebrate the great job you did

24hrs and you should be good to have the tires remounted

Good luck

Last edited by 3wayz; 09-01-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #12

I gotta take some good pics this weekend,Everywhere I stop this cars getting alot of comments and alot of stares on the road...The Paint scheme really sets this ride off...I'm itching to add the zeintech hardtop now...got a great price quote today,Under $3k shipped...Killing me

^^^How can you not love this thing^^^

Last edited by 3wayz; 09-02-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #13

I've seen a lot of debate over the satin black paint jobs on the 996 forum on 6speedonline. Some guys say it's played out. From my perspective though I have NEVER actually seen a satin black car except in photos. So how is that played out then? It's certainly not common by any means unless you're going to some exotic car show.

But bottom line I give you props just for doing something different. There are things I like about what you've done and there are things I don't particularly agree with, but in the end you're making your car unique and YOURS! Good for you. Boxsters are a dime a dozen, Arctic Silver Boxsters even more so. On my last PCA tour I think we had 3 out of 4 Boxsters were silver, the other was of course Guards Red. Now when you go on a PCA tour you'll be the only satin black Boxster.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #14

I agree...I cringe at the sight of a rattle canned honda,I wanna just light it on fire and do whoever it is a favor.. But a nice pro sprayed satin or even flat is a beautiful thing IMO..Theres things I dont like right now too,like the old headlights/tails/sides,stock vents(red),17" stock wheels,fenders/front end not upgraded to new/current style lights/ litronics,etc..And Honestly I cant stand the boxster ragtop ,period...Dunno why they can't just add a retractable hardtop like they could if they put their mind to it,that would be beautiful.But Hopefully I can work everything out by this next spring and get everything done I'm wanting to...Looking forward to it,I/ll keep posting pics as I go..
Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wayz
And Honestly I cant stand the boxster ragtop ,period...Dunno why they can't just add a retractable hardtop like they could if they put their mind to it,that would be beautiful.
I dunno.... my girl REALLY wants a MB SLK350. We've test driven one and looked them over pretty carefully. They're a retractable hard top. When you put the top down you get almost ZERO room in the rear trunk and the front trunk has... well.... an engine in it! One VERY nice thing about the Boxster is that it's actually got some decent and usable trunks front and rear. To get a hard top I think you'd have to completely give up that rear trunk. No thank you, I'd prefer to keep mine and retain some of the usability of the car.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #16

Heres a Crappy video from my phone,360' around the car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60I_r4waVf4

Last edited by 3wayz; 09-04-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #17

Should have redid these rims along time ago,they look great...

Old 09-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #18

Garage
Cool

i dont know how i feel about the red i feel like there is too much... personally i would have a thinner red line on the wheels and maybe accent the intakes with a nice gloss black along with maybe a few other parts... but that is me and you did a great job it looks very VERY clean. congrats :dance:
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #19

great work... how'd you do the headlights?

tint? have a silver car and really wanna do that too
GPReyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #20

Here is another example of the matte black

Hey I just saw this one on Oracal's website for the "alternative" to paint:

http://www.oracal.com/news/feature-stories-selected.asp?fsID=11

These films are pretty amazing. Anyhow, that matte black is really starting to grow on me. I'm thinking my wheels either in that or gun powder style.

trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote