Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Interior Upgrade III

Hi All,

Just wanted to share some recent interior changes on my 2000.

My center console has been looking really bad since I've had the car for 2.5 years. The defects don't show up very well in the picture, but it is very ugly in person.

This week I replaced the original console with a new carbon fiber model. I already had installed various other CF pieces during recent months. I attempted to install a silver horseshoe trim piece around my existing shifter boot, but I'm not happy with the way it came out. I've ordered a new shifter boot (in black) with the silver trim piece already installed. I'm going to reuse my existing CF shifter knob. I have a CF non-smokers tray on the way as well.

I recently added the dash mounted spoiler switch and the intermittent windshield wiper switch to fill some of the blanks in the dash. Of course they aren't necessary, but I rather see a functional switch than a dummy blank. I have the spoiler position indicator on order to go in the last spot on the bottom.

This is how the interior looked when I purchased the car 2.5 years ago.

More to come in the future....

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #2

What a transformation. You really have put some money into this. Looks great. I like the silver trim around the shifter. Where did you get it?
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #3

All I can say is WOW Looks amazing, and you're coming across the state line when?

So what's going on with the fourth stalk? I don't remember you having that one.

Nice work Derek, congrats!
Old 05-12-2007, 04:43 AM   #4
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
986speedster:

Thanks very much. I bought the silver trim from http://www.carnewal.com/
It was 51 Euro (35 + 16 shipping) or approximately $69 USD. He doesn't list it on the website, but if you shoot him an e-mail he will hook you up. It took 3 days to get it from Belgium. It has to be modified to be installed on a standard shifter boot. Post some pics if you get one.

SC986:

Thanks a lot man. The 4th stalk is for the trip computer (I think it is called an OBC stalk or system). Luckily it was an option on my car. You can retrofit it on your car if you would like one.

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't removed my hardtop, or even driven the car in 6 weeks or so. I've been traveling for work some and just generally busy. Since working on it this week I'm excited about driving it, especially top down. Before removing the hardtop I want to polish it (and the rest of the car). Once I get it looking presentable we will have to get together.

ddb
Old 05-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #5

Sounds like a plan! Can I bend your arm to do the OBC hack? Mine should have the capability being an '02?.

Can't wait to see the interior.

Good to have you back around.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #6

That is the best changes that I have seen on a box interior, the CF looks fantastic, seriously that is one mod that really is better than stock.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #7
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
SC986:

I think the OBC system is definitely worth activating. If for nothing else, just to have the outside temperature display. Apparently it can be controlled with the 4th stalk, or another switch. There is a current thread in the "General Discussions" forum entitled "OBC Hack Help" with some good information. I'm sure there are many more threads detailing the hack. I've never done it, but will be glad to help.

Y2BOX:

Thanks very much!

ddb

Old 05-13-2007, 06:08 AM   #8

Interior looks great. I stayed away from gray interiors when I was looking for mine because I thought they looked a little washed out. You have transformed it into a really nice looking package. I'm sure that CF wasn't cheap, but worth the money.

Another small thing that sets it off that no one has mentioned is the black floor mats. Goes along with the theme and is much easier to keep clean since the black hides any dirt.

Jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much.

Yea, I chose the black Lloyd mats for the reasons you stated. They really made a big difference in the look of the interior. Here is a better view.

ddb

Old 05-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #10

Looks great - carbon fiber, it's the new plaid

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #11

love the carbon fiber. are those all factory pieces?
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:35 AM   #12

Looks great! I love Carbon Fiber.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm obviously a fan of CF as well, and think it looks rather nice on certain interior colors such as grey.

Yes yellowboxster01, all of the pieces are factory Porsche CF. One of the deciding factors for me to go this route was knowing I could get a lot of my $ back by selling these pieces when I decide to unload the car.

BTW, your front end work looks great. Looking forward to seeing the higher quality pics!

ddb
Old 05-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm obviously a fan of CF as well, and think it looks rather nice on certain interior colors such as grey.

Yes yellowboxster01, all of the pieces are factory Porsche CF. One of the deciding factors for me to go this route was knowing I could get a lot of my $ back by selling these pieces when I decide to unload the car.

BTW, your front end work looks great. Looking forward to seeing the higher quality pics!

ddb
yes, there is a greater chance of getting some of your money back when you sell but, I was looking at some of the prices on suncoast a while back damn...stuffs pricey. but, with c/f in short supply with the high demand that's to be expected. looks amazing though!

thanks for the compliments, I'll have some better quality pictures this weekend.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #15
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
More Carbon Fiber....

I just wanted to share a quick picture of some new pieces I was able to install this weekend. Not a great picture but you get the idea.

I installed new side vents in CF as well as the 3 horizontal strips that run across the dashboard. BTW, it's a tough job to remove and replace those strips. The vents are a piece of cake.

ddb

Old 09-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #16

WOW is your car awesome, I makes me want to go CF, hmmmmm, maybe I will. You also answered a something I have been wondering for a long time, If I could just buy the silver horse shoe, It now seems that I can. Many Thanks, Very Very Cool Ride!

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
986S Badge, EVO Intake, SuperSprint Exhaust, Fabspeed Cat Bypass
My Car: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd74/zackwatt/
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #17

Have any of you guys seen a process called water transfer printing? It is amazing. I mention it because one of the effects they can produce is carbon fiber and it looks great.

Check this out...

http://dmbsupply.home.mindspring.com/maz_eng_cvr.html

http://dmbsupply.home.mindspring.com/vvt.html

One of many vendors... http://www.dynamicfinishes.com
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 09-04-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #18

That is crazy cool!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #19

I've seen that before, but I wonder how good it looks in person

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
986S Badge, EVO Intake, SuperSprint Exhaust, Fabspeed Cat Bypass
My Car: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd74/zackwatt/
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #20
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
zackwatt,

Thanks for the compliments. I sent you a PM.

Grizzly,

Thanks for posting this. I've never heard of the water transfer printing process. Have you seen any printed parts in person?

I have a couple of parts that I bought 6 months or so ago in CF that arrived looking terrible. I actually disputed the transaction and received a refund because the condition of the parts were misrepresented. The seller didn't want to pay to have the parts shipped back to Europe and told me to keep them. They look too bad to put on the car so I've just been sitting on them. I think I will contact one of these printers and see if they can do anything with them. They will be the only non-Porsche CF I have so far, but I don't care if they look decent. I will let you all know how they turn out.

Thanks,

ddb