Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #1

BMW ---> Porsche * need help ..have ?'s

I im new to porsche, i currently driving a MODDED e36 BMW

NOW i been sucked into the world of modified porsches and considering buying a 2000+ boxster. I plan to do a facelift right away but wondering how much it would cost. I did a little research and determined that i want a gt3 front bumper, aerokit 1 spoiler (i think), updated (or clear light?) now.....i need recommendation on suspension etc.

I know it gonna cost 5000+ ez

I just need a little help...love the look of a modded 986

thanks in advance

kevincao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
The way used pricing is for these cars, it's much easier to buy the later-style 986 than to update an earlier one. Granted, I know that doesn't mean having a GT3 front bumper, but it does mean updated headlights/taillights, wheels, rear bumper, side vents, and slight updates to the interior. You'll be much happier starting with a 03+ (guys, correct me if I'm wrong on the 03) that has all these things.

By the way, what I mean by "the way used pricing is" is that since the market is not quite as saturated as it is with the e36's, people have no idea how to price them, and you sometimes see a lower mileage 03 for the same price as a higher mileage 00 or something -- same options, same maint. history, same body condition, etc. It's much more dependent upon time of year, location, and maybe some other factors I can't even figure out! So spend a LOT of time looking before you buy.

By the way, beautiful e36 -- I had a 4-door version of your car until I caught the 986 bug. :-) Just a word of warning, the e36 aftermarket is dirt cheap compared to this car!!!
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #3

Big deal for the 03 and later is the glass rear window!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
bmussatti

Kevincao, nice BMW!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #5

Modding issues aside, but the newest S you can afford, then consider modding it. The widespread use of "high performance plastic" in our cars means a lot of crap breaks on them as they age.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
By the way, beautiful e36 -- I had a 4-door version of your car until I caught the 986 bug. :-) Just a word of warning, the e36 aftermarket is dirt cheap compared to this car!!!
thanks i love my car but i think its time for a change

yea i figured the 986 market would be a lot more than the e36

so if i buy an 03 boxster S, i can avoid changin the little things like the side vents, rear bumper etc?

and a gt3 bumper is a direct bolt on? swap? and is the same for certain headlights from other models?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
if you get an 03 you will not have to change out headlights and tail lights (they are clear on 03), side vents are updated, glass window, rear bumper is very nice looking, so is a front one, but as far as what you want you can change it over and ebay the original to get some $ back. all these costto update, so might as well start fresh w everyting on there already. but then your only mod is bumper heheh.
but generally speaking w these cars, the newest you can get w lowest miles
all you then need is some suspension and wheels.
gt3 bumper will be a direct swap, front bumper comes off actually fairly easy, few minutes and its off, as long as you get the correcponding year bumper.
as for the headlights, if you want the newer style fenders and hood and other little things need to be changed, quite costly when including all the labor, paint, cost of parts and headlights themselves as well.
jeff on here has updated his boxster, look it up
nice e36 man

hope that helps clear some things up

ask away, we're sure you have more Q's
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page

Last edited by djomlas; 03-12-2007 at 10:55 PM.
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 PM   #8

e36 vs 986s

You cant loose either way. I had an e36 conv (96 328i with m pkg) and I must say as a daily driver the BMW was very reliable and low on maintenace. The 986 had a much higher grin, fun and maintenance factor. (well worth it though) As far as MY go for as new as you can. The 03 has some great advantage such as glove box, glass rear window, updated headlights. As far as mods, not as many as easily available as e36, but your only limited by your imagination and funds
986s sport design pkg, aerokit 1, litronics,deviating seat stitching, guards red seat belts, cf ebrake/shift knob,ssk, sport seats, hard top, full alpine system with 8" sub, mb quart speakers, Champion rg5, Eibach springs, sport exhaust, rear stess bars, custom ecu program, desnorkle intake, euro bumper, rear diffuser
ray986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #9

thanks guy for all the help, gonna start shopping now

does anyone have a white 986 with gold rims? cuz i love that color way...i know it looks good on most cars
Old 03-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #10

Hp/$

Be warned that upgrading the HP on a 986 is much more difficult and costly than on the e36 and most other cars

mtch is offline   Reply With Quote