Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Oxford Ohio German Car Rally this Summer - feeler

Hey folks. I'm actually located in Richmond VA but was wondering if anyone was interested in doing a German car rally/event/boon-doggle in Oxford OH this summer. Background:

I am an alumnus of Miami of Ohio and for the last few years they've held a car show there every summer, Porsche to Oxford, for Porsche cars. It was a great car show and Oxford is a blast to visit in the summer; plenty of places to go to and no lines to wait in. This year they moved the show to Granville Ohio, which is not nearly as cool of a town, so I don't want to go. My buddy and I took his Boxster up there last year and had a blast; but I had been going for about five years. However, with them moving the show and me having a BMW now, I thought, why not organize a German car event. Here is how I envision events transpiring:

Friday PM: Non-required pre-meet. My friend and I will be coming in to town Friday night because it’s a 9 hour drive from Richmond VA. However, anyone who wants to meet for dinner and drinks in Oxford is more than welcome. There a few hotels right in town; if enough people are interested I'll try to see about negotiating group rates.

Saturday AM: Late morning meet-up for brunch at a local spot. Everyone can get some food in their bellies and poke around the other peoples' cars in the parking lot.

Saturday Noon-ish: Depart the brunch spot and drive through the country (approximate 60-90 minute drive) in route to a local vineyard/winery/TBD ?? This is the afternoon entertainment. Visit said destination for an hour or so and then drive back (more country roads) to Oxford.

Saturday 4:30ish: Meet back in town and relax after a fun afternoon with your new friends.

Saturday Dinner: German beer and food tasting at a German Restaurant right in town. I think this place has like 12 or so German pulls on tap and the food is pretty good.

Saturday PM: Enjoy all of the fun of a great college town without dealing with thousands of train wreck college kids. There is still a pretty sizeable group of students that stays in town during the summer, so the place isn't a ghost town, but you won't have to wait in any lines either. Uptown Oxford is a blast and it is a very easy walk to/from the hotels. There is always a possibility of cigars in the Hotel parking lot after hours...

Sunday late AM: Optional meet-up for breakfast, good byes, and send offs with hopefully some new friends you were able to meet.

This event could be a lot of fun, even if just a few people want to get in. The only restrictions would be you'd need to have a German car and be 21 if you want to drink. Other than that, bring your friends/girlfriends/wife/dog/call girl etc.

The Porsche event was a lot of fun, but the event organizers never in my opinion took full advantage of the venue. With the show exiting Oxford, I kind of see this as an opportunity to make the event what me and hopefully some other people always wished it could have been. Thanks so much and please reply to the thread if you think this might be something you want to do. It'll definitely take a few months to organize in order to be a success; hence why I'm doing this now.

Cheers,

Rob

ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #2

Dates have been set! This event will offcially occur the weekend of 8/10-8/12. Please see the website I quickly built for this event for more details. Thanks and lets see some Porsche guys get involved in this!!

Ox-Carberfest

ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote