Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #1

July 2009 - Oxford, Ohio

The last week-end in July will see one of the largest gatherings of Porsches in Ohio. It's an informal gathering of Porsche lovers in a very laid back format. There's a rally for those wishing to participate. Last year saw 400 Porsches and this year they're expecting 500. For details go to:
http://www.porsches2oxford.com

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #2

That looks very interesting. (I'm just outside of Akron.) Pretty sure I'd be there, but we're scheduled to be visiting with my family at the Jersey shore until (potentially) as late as the Friday before the gathering, in which case it would be pretty much impossible.

However, if we come back earlier, odds are good I'll be there.

Have you been to the Glenmoor Gathering of Significant Automobiles? Not just Porsches by a long shot---went two years ago and I was astounded by the variety of cars that were there. (There were like 7-8 Studtzs, to give you some idea.) It's in Canton, in the early Fall; you can find it by Googling. (Looked it up: this year it's Sep 18-20.) You should check it out.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #3

Last week's media release I distributed...

PORSCHES 2 OXFORD OPENS REGISTRATION IN ANTICIPATION OF 500 CARS
Fastest-growing Porsche event in the country expected to shatter attendance records for fifth anniversary

Anticipating nearly 500 cars, Porsches 2 Oxford opened registration for the fifth anniversary event on March 28, 2009 as fun seekers flocked to the event’s web site to secure their German sports car in one of the nation’s premier cruise-ins. In just 72 hours, 60 Porsche owners did just that despite months of waiting ahead for the July 25th show. Such enthusiasm has become an event hallmark and explains why Porsches 2 Oxford sits at the top of the summer car show calendar, but organizers are no less impressed by the early response.

“Every time we raise the bar for attendees, they exceed the highest expectations organizers anticipate and plan for,” said P2O Media and Publicity Director Chris Rieman. “It’s a wonderful event to plan and organize because past attendees provide the sales job to other Porsche enthusiasts sitting on the fence. Part of that is treating every attendee like a VIP with the hope that a positive experience encourages word-of-mouth advertising.

“We also make it a point to ensure the event is the best bargain of the summer,” Rieman said. “The fewer excuses we leave on the table to stay home, the more incentive Porsche owners have to grab their keys and make the drive to Oxford.”

Dubbed “a casual Porsche party”, P2O organizers host attendees in the rural college town of uptown Oxford, Ohio. Located 30 miles north of Cincinnati along the Ohio-Indiana border, the event kicks off on Friday July 24th with friendly gatherings at local watering holes and concludes on Sunday with a road rally.

Although the casual fun alongside expensive German sports cars headlines the event, P2O brings Porsche enthusiasts together to raise money and awareness for the American Cancer Society. The event’s underlying charity for the past two years, the ACS has a special connection that organizers draw inspiration from.

“Marylynn Roe co-founded the event in Michigan in 2003 and saw the move to Oxford in 2005, but her courageous battle with cancer was her greatest legacy,” Rieman said. “She passed away from cancer in 2006 but her spirit and vision remain a central rallying point for this event. The ACS is our way of paying it forward.”

Organizers started a new tradition in 2009 to do just that, selling prime parking spots for $100 each to benefit the local chapter of the ACS. All 40 spaces were sold in the first three days of registration. Five dollars from general registrations also benefit the charity while 50/50 drawings throughout the afternoon complete the fundraising.

“We’re hoping to raise $8,000-10,000 when it’s all said and done,” Rieman said.

Porsches 2 Oxford began as Porsches 2 Pinckney (MI) in 2003 as 85 cars took part in the first-year event. The event moved to Oxford in 2005 and entertained a modest 140 cars. The attendees increased to 225 cars in 2006 and 255 cars in 2007. A record 396 Porsches made their way to Oxford on July 26, 2008 for the fourth annual event. The college town with brick-lined streets and quaint storefronts hosted attendees from 17 states and three Canadian provinces.

For more information on 2009’s fifth anniversary event, please visit www.porsches2oxford.com.

###
Event Contact
Chris M. Rieman
Webmaster/Media & Publicity
Porsches 2 Oxford
937-361-4630
crieman@porsches2oxford.com
UDPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #4

I'm interested in driving down. How much is registration?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #5

$25.00. If you pre-register you also get the following:

- free event t-shirt
- free commemorative poster
- P2O static cling sticker for window
- P2O mini sharpie for filling out window card
- possible sponsor products
- ***fifth anniversary gift*** (still a secret)

Basically its like $40 worth of stuff. $5 of the registration goes directly to the american cancer society.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #6

Wish I could make it...

I am a Miami alum - so it would be a great trip but I will be in NYC for a wedding.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #7

For The New Arrivals

Just wanted to refresh this posting for those who have joined us recently and may be within range of Oxford for this event.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #8

Smile

Pre-registrations are going extremely well thus far, easily ahead of last years pace. If you have not done so already, I would suggest pre-registering ASAP and booking a hotel room if you are traveling and plan to make it an overnight/weekend road trip. We have attendees from NY to FL to MN so there's no excuse to get off your duff and attend this terrific event!

Chris Rieman
Director of Media & Publicity
Porsches 2 Oxford
Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #9

I'm from the Youngstown area and am planing on driving down Friday if anyone is interested in some sort of caravan, possibly following the scenic Ohio river. Let me know. This looks interesting.
kitchenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #10

I am planning on leaving very early on Saturday (like 5:00 am) from Columbus. If anyone is interested in caravaning from central ohio, send me a PM.
chaabouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDPride
Pre-registrations are going extremely well thus far, easily ahead of last years pace. If you have not done so already, I would suggest pre-registering ASAP and booking a hotel room if you are traveling and plan to make it an overnight/weekend road trip. We have attendees from NY to FL to MN so there's no excuse to get off your duff and attend this terrific event!

Chris Rieman
Director of Media & Publicity
Porsches 2 Oxford
Booking a Hotel?? Come on, there a camp ground just north of town... Hueston Wood State Park. Under $20 a night.
Unfortunately (or fortunately), I will be headed to Oshkosh that week.... Boxsterless.

Have fun
Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #12

Anybody going to p2o?

Anybody showing up for p2o? If ya are I'm driving a zenith blue '00 base,w/ cayman rims stop by and say hey
kitchenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #13

P2O Registration

Registrations have flown past 400 and the goal of 500 is coming into sight. I'm going to add "986forum - Schnellman" on the bottom of my registration card which will be displayed in the car. How about the rest of you who attend doing the same?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
mts

I was there on Saturday. It sucks that it rained so much. My car was filthy by the time I got there. Still a nice event and a really big turn-out despite the rain. Oxford is a cool little place, I had not been there before.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
lovely09

Well,the show must go on even it rains.I didn't come because it turns out a celebration of my birthday.I missed the event but i appreciate your input of what happen on that day.Thanks