986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Regional Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/regional-forum/)
-   -   pca or club? (http://986forum.com/forums/regional-forum/12088-pca-club.html)

7th gear 07-09-2007 06:41 AM

pca or club?
 
hi!

i'm simple family man that's sorta new to the 986 world and wanted to ask a simple question to the experienced out there. i google out some boxster stuff from time to time. i'd like to join a 986 group but am undecided on pca or local car club. which do you think i'd benefit from most? :confused: i want to find a little more than internet forums.

i visited my local pca region brkfast and well .... had brkfast. they've got interesting things coming up . but then i read where there are local car clubs that seem to have a bit of fun w/ dinners & get-togethers as well. but that's not enough for me to decide.

i'd like to join 1 club for reasons of time availability for now. my desires are:
-driver's ed (which i believe pca only offers this??)
-car detailing advice
-speedy road trips
-diy mentoring / little fixings like chg door spkrs

what enjoyments have you that got you into a club or pca or not?

should i join pca for just the stuff i want but regularly attend a local car club; sorta split between 2 groups?

do local car clubs charge dues like the pca?

what do you suggest ?? :)

Dr. Kill 07-09-2007 06:49 AM

It might be helpful if you can let us know where you are. Different regions of the PCA probably provide different experiences. If you were in North Jersey, I would strongly suggest joining the PCA as we have an excellent chapter here - don't know though if it is the same situation where you are.

70Sixter 07-09-2007 12:58 PM

As a PCAer for 37 years I recommend it highly. Check out the website at:
http://www.pca.org/ for a list of services.

PCA National give you access to a serious group of experts on-line, Panorama (good club magazine), valuation for insurance, member ads and classifieds in The Mart and on-line, and discounts at a lot of vendors. And a National Parade hosted by a different region every year. There is also a series of Registers (one is for Boxsters).

Dr Kill is right - regional variation can be dramatic. I'm kinda far from my Hurricane Region's center of gravity in Raleigh, but an enthusiastic member has set up a get-together program for locals here on the coast. Regions vary both in activities and activity level. The members determine the activities, and if there are active members there are a lot of events. Each has a magazine dealing with local events of interest.

How close was breakfast meeting? If the regions activities are mostly near you, then you get the "local club" as part of the deal. Check out the other stuff they do.

My region does not have any dues. None of many I've belonged to has. Unless you want dual membership in two regions.

Dr. Kill 07-09-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70Sixter
As a PCAer for 37 years I recommend it highly.

So does that mean that you are the original owner of the 914 in your signature block?

CJ_Boxster 07-09-2007 01:25 PM

Im apart of both the PCA and another forum called pcars.us, and i honestly can say the pcars.us forum is the best when it comes to FUN meets, We have hooters gtg, also Fun runs down to San Deigo, Rosarito Mexico, every other wensday we have a Starbucks GTG where we head to a local resurant as a group and eat and have lots of fun.

PCA is good for all ages type of fun but the pcars.us is where the REAL fun is!

FYI: pcars.us do not charge for the meets, we also have alot of auto-x events we attend and we seem to always get large group discounts for attending. :cheers:

7th gear 07-09-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
It might be helpful if you can let us know where you are. Different regions of the PCA probably provide different experiences. If you were in North Jersey, I would strongly suggest joining the PCA as we have an excellent chapter here - don't know though if it is the same situation where you are.

thanks for the reply dr. kill. i'm true to my tag ... i'm in southern cal.

i surf'd the pca website and find so cal has about 4 areas close. i've been told that it's ok to go to different pca area events other than the one i belong. only criteria is that i just reach out to the point of contact before attending.

7th gear 07-09-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70Sixter
How close was breakfast meeting? If the regions activities are mostly near you, then you get the "local club" as part of the deal. Check out the other stuff they do.

it was about 50 miles away but the benefit was no traffic. in so cal, that's worth money.

7th gear 07-09-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Im apart of both the PCA and another forum called pcars.us, and i honestly can say the pcars.us forum is the best when it comes to FUN meets, We have hooters gtg, also Fun runs down to San Deigo, Rosarito Mexico, every other wensday we have a Starbucks GTG where we head to a local resurant as a group and eat and have lots of fun.

PCA is good for all ages type of fun but the pcars.us is where the REAL fun is!

FYI: pcars.us do not charge for the meets, we also have alot of auto-x events we attend and we seem to always get large group discounts for attending. :cheers:

hi cj!

did a little surf'ing @ pcars.us. that outback i see on my l.a. commute. :dance: i may try to make one of your starbucks gtg's. you mention above that you don't charge for the meets but does your club charge dues like pca? what's an sr girl?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website