Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #21

Garage
I was there from 8:45 - 11 - when the Orange GT3 left - a (second) Porsche 550 Spyder replica appeared - nice cars and nice variety - the concours is too much cleaning for me but it's nice to see some that are shined up and 'Q-Tipped'. And....this event has a goodly number of Porsche non-concours cars showing - as well as a parking lot chocked full of interesting cars.
the 'Boxster Brunch'* is a PCA event but it's very much open to anyone - NEXT SATURDAY 6/7 at Alice's - I don't think I'll make it but you'll find mostly Boxster owners in the back room of Alice's Restaurant and a parking lot sprinkled with Boxsters that morning. George Grialou is your host.
RickJ

*9:30 AM to 11:30 AM at Alice's Restaurant, Hwy 35 & 84, Woodside

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PH.photo.1s.jpg (28.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg PHPhoto2s.JPG (29.5 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by RickJ; 06-02-2014 at 09:44 AM.
RickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #22

Garage
JUNE 15 (Sunday) 8am-10:30 there's a 'EuroSunday' Eastbay event - Danville
EuroSunday - Exotic, rare and vintage car and motorcycle owners.
varied types of cars - Porsche, Corvette, Mini, Lotus, BMW, etc - also there's a
'Silicon Valley' edition of EuroSunday on the first Sunday of each month - just missed
the 6/1 event - conflicted with Parts Heaven Swap/Concours
RickJ
Old 06-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #23

Garage
Pacific Grove Rally/Concours - Friday August 15, 2014 Pacific Grove, CA
this event is square in the middle of Monterey 'Car Week' but it's one you can participate in for a nominal fee ($75) - includes an informal 'on the street' car show in the afternoon followed by a rally around 17 mile drive, Carmel, Pebble Beach, and back to an optional bbq dinner and awards. It's great fun - I've done it the past several years with a small group of Porsche 550 Spyder replica owners and we all keep coming back year after year.
You can participate in this event with virtually any car - from hotrods to Ferraris, classics to modern cars.....
Hotel rooms are hard to come by - but I just snagged one on Priceline at Asilomar for $217 - and a few others may pop up late if you keep poking around
event information at
20th Annual Pacific Grove Concours Auto Rally
you need to register (pre-register) for the event - but it's usually not sold out.....so it's not too late -
RickJ
photos of last years' event (and others - all from a 550 Spyder replica perspective) are at: https://spydersite.shutterfly.com/
general photos at: https://svautoevents.shutterfly.com/2559

Last edited by RickJ; 06-04-2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #24

Garage
PCA / "Parade" - Monterey, CA 6-14-21/2014

If you're attending - you're already signed up and nearly on your way - if not - it's likely sold out, and most events during the week are not open without a paid badge - however you can 'spectate' a couple of the events - Concours and Autocross
Concours - Concours d'Elegance Mon. 6/16/14

This is the première Porsche Parade competition event. Whether you are an experienced Concours participant, a first time entrant, or a volunteer, there is an opportunity for every Parade entrant to get involved in this prestigious event. The Concours d’Elegance is not just about the competition, it’s about getting involved and participating with others who share a common appreciation for the Porsche marque.

The 59th Porsche Parade Concours d’ Elegance – This year, the Concours will be held on
Monday, June 16th 9am-4pm
Del Monte Fairways 17, 18

returning to the fairways of the Del Monte Golf Course, site of the 1990 Parade Concours where we will host over 200 Concours cars as well as a Historic Display and current models from PCNA.

Autocross - Wednesday, Thursday 6/18, 6/19 - Marina Airport
9am-3:30pm
Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #25

Garage
'EuroSunday'/Silicon Valley 7.6.14

Silicon Valley EuroSunday
Sunday, July 6, 2014 from 8:00 AM to 10:30 AM

Starbucks
1037 El Monte Avenue,
Mountain View, CA
an informal gathering of various sports cars the
first Sunday of each month......
various locations - but this Silicon Valley group
meets mostly at a Portola Valley location - no formal show - no
judging, just cars, coffee, conversation.....I'll bring my newly
acquired 987.2.
this month's event is in Mountain View, though.....
check for future events and other locations (East Bay, etc) at:
http://www.eurosunday.net/cal-month.php
RickJ

Last edited by RickJ; 07-04-2014 at 02:33 AM. Reason: OOPS / changed to Mountain View for July 6!!!!
Old 07-04-2014, 02:36 AM   #26

Garage
CHANGE of venue - this event is NORMALLY (first Sunday of each month) at a
Portola Valley location 8:00am to 10:30am /Konditorei/3130 Alpine Rd #284/Portola Valley, CA
but this month/July 6/ meet is in Mountain View - see the posting below
Starbucks
1037 El Monte Avenue,
Mountain View, CA
V

Last edited by RickJ; 07-04-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #27

Garage
EuroSunday / Mountain View - small July 4 weekend crowd - 1 Boxster, several 911's, 3 550 Porsche Spyder Replicas, a Maserati, and an older Rolls Royce, and a few more interesting cars.....
RickJ

Old 08-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #28

Garage
Anything going on for the Labor Day weekend?

Tony
Old 09-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #29

Garage
There should be a 'EuroSunday' event on 9/7 - should be at
Portola Valley location 8:00am to 10:30am /Konditorei/3130 Alpine Rd #284/Portola Valley, CA
Various Sports and special interest cars, & coffee
RickJ
edit/note-9.4.14 - may not be an 'official' EuroSunday event but several of us expect to show up - join us!...rj

Last edited by RickJ; 09-04-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #30

Garage
There should be a 'EuroSunday' event on 10/5 - should be at
Portola Valley location 8:30am to 10:30am /Konditorei/3130 Alpine Rd #284/Portola Valley, CA
Various Sports and special interest cars, & coffee
RickJ
edit/note-10.5.14 - is not an 'official' EuroSunday event but several 'Porsche folks' expect to show up - join them - I'm off on a PCA weekend trip!...rj
Old 10-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #31
Mach 3 with your hair….

Stay Away from Flintworks!

Just wanted to share my experiences with Alden Flint from Flintworks. I bought a 2000 Boxster S from a private party. I planned on driving down to LA, picking up a buddy, and driving home to Chicago via Route 66. Based on the sellers recommendation and Yelp! reviews I had Alden do a clutch replacement, an IMS bearing upgrade, and a pre-purchase inspection. During the inspection he found a torn CV boot, and recommended axle replacements with aftermarket parts. I agreed. I picked up the car and got 200 miles down the PCH before the engine failed catastrophically. I took a cab to a U-Haul, rented a truck and a trailer and hauled the car back to his shop. His assistant revved the engine near redline for close to 5 minutes while he listened to different parts of the engine trying to determine the cause of the noise. All while the engine continued to go BANG BANG BANG. He pulled the pan and found copper colored metal shavings. I had him put the oil back in and had the car shipped home.

I had an engine rebuilder replace the engine with a 3.4 from a 911. While he was in there, he pulled out the oil filter. It was a twisted, shrunken, clogged, filthy wreck. According to Alden, he had changed the oil less than 500 miles prior to me picking up the car, so it didn't need an oil change. Obviously, something was amiss. My new mechanic also found within two minutes of starting the inspection, oil in the coolant, coolant in the motor oil, and eventually, after tearing the engine down, a cracked cylinder head. He also found and replaced a bad starter.

After getting the car back, a quick check of the car revealed: non-functioning windshield wipers, a flat spare tire, door locks that didn't work, remote door locks that didn't work (the key), a CD player that didn't work, and a scan revealed about 10 faults involving electrical/door lock problems.

I asked Mr. Flint to reimburse me for the engine and travel/shipping costs because his pre-purchse inspection sucked and he either didn't do or lied about the oil filter change. I had four professional mechanics inspect the filter. They ALL said the clogged oil filter caused the rod bearings to fail due to a lack of oil. He refused and said I was to blame because I had revved the engine to 6000 RPM. (I'm sure you all realize the redline is 7000 RPM.)

Two days ago, I was driving the car and when I put it into reverse, the car didn't move. A quick inspection revealed that the axle (which he replaced and have a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty) on the driver side was no longer connected to the transmission.

I have the letters from the professional Porsche mechanics, pictures, and all the other documentation, including the service records as performed by Flintworks.
I am in the process of legal remediation.

Ask to see his ASE certification and Porsche Factory training certificates that he states he has on his website. I spent hours in his shop and didn't see one. My wife is a dentist and proudly displays her diplomas, medical licenses, and ADA membership on her walls.

I really like Alden. He's a great guy. He's easy to talk to, hard working, and earnest. I will never let him touch another automobile I own as long as I live and suggest you think twice before you do…..

Last edited by OnFire; 10-16-2014 at 07:01 PM.
OnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #32

Garage
New Years' Drive / Livermore Porsche

here's an open event New Years' Day - Livermore, CA - to Mt Hamilton - rsvp requested
New Years Day Drive
Rick J

Last edited by RickJ; 12-29-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #33

Garage
Thanks for posting Rick, sounds like fun!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #34

Garage
Photos....Mt Ham.NY.Drive

here are some photos from the drive - nice cool clear morning....lots of cars showed up - 2 groups off at 10am - see: https://mtham112015.shutterfly.com/
Rick J

Old 01-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #35

Garage
EuroSunday/Portola Valley/2.1.15

There should be a 'EuroSunday' event on Sunday 2/1 - will be at
Portola Valley location 8:30am to 11:00 am /Konditorei/3130 Alpine Rd #284/Portola Valley, CA
Various Sports and special interest cars, & coffee - typically a few of the 'usual suspects' plus some newbies - interesting small group of 20 or so cars....a few more Boxsters would be welcome....
RickJ

event is held first Sunday of each month at this location

Last edited by RickJ; 02-06-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #36

Garage
EuroSunday/Portola Valley/3.1.15

another one coming up THIS SUNDAY - join us!

Last edited by RickJ; 02-27-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #37

Garage
TOMORROW 8/1/2015 - join us!!!
One more time - join us! - Sunday May 3 / ******AND Sunday JUNE 7th...........******
Portola Valley \ 8:30am to 11:00 am /Konditorei/3130 Alpine Rd #284/Portola Valley, CA
RickJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030353.s.JPG (430.2 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by RickJ; 07-31-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added June 7 date...added 8.1 date
Old 04-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #38

Garage
I'm in Pacific Grove and am a member of PCA Monterey Bay Region and the Pebble Beach Sports Car Club. I used to go to Alice's for the brunch and need to start up again as I always had a great time and a great drive back. Would be interested in local events with other car enthusiasts.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I'm in Pacific Grove and am a member of PCA Monterey Bay Region and the Pebble Beach Sports Car Club. I used to go to Alice's for the brunch and need to start up again as I always had a great time and a great drive back. Would be interested in local events with other car enthusiasts.
There sure are a lot of events in the Bay Area! Not sure about your area...check the pca lpr calendar online. Boxster breakfasts are fun too!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #40

Garage
Car Show @ Apple

The Apple Car Club had an informal car show this morning
and a screening of the about to be released documentary by Adam Carolla
on Paul Newman's racing career.
RickJ