Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2023, 06:01 PM   #1

Garage
Water from exhaust on cold start

Can somebody tell me what this means?

I'm looking at this 2008 Cayman. Seller told me he started the car for the first time in a while to pull it out of the garage earlier in the day.
I checked the exhaust- cold- and started it up, and it put this much water out on the driveway. Seems like an awful lot. He said it's typical of high compression engines. My '99 Boxster doesn't do anything like this.

I'm trying to decided if it's even worth paying for a PPI for this car. A little help? TIA!

MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:35 AM   #2
PLP

Well... could be... it is possible to accumulate more water.

Imagine, if you start cold, rich mixture, cold exhaust, all water will condense. Until higher revs or warmer temps, the moisture will stay inside. Do it twice or so and you can fill the exhaust with a lot of water.

At some point you will puke it. If the water is gone and does not come back, you are good.
If that was the coolant - well, you would know after first warm up.
Let me put it this way - if water can get through (to the cylinders) exhaust gases will, too. At much greater rate.
Then, you get overheating, pressure in the expansion tank... you know the drill.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:27 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
Well... could be... it is possible to accumulate more water.

Imagine, if you start cold, rich mixture, cold exhaust, all water will condense.
Thanks for all that. Noted. Pretty much what the local P dealer service manager said. They will probably (but not definitely) figure it out in the PPI.

From your signature- Trabant? TRABANT!? Holy crap, that's an adventurous soul.

MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote