Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
easyedwin

1 year ago oil change

So, I have had my 2009 Cayman 2 months now and am getting the service icon on the dash. The oil was changed 4,000 miles ago, but that was a year ago. Does oil get stale? Should I change it now?

easyedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #2

Garage
The service icon could mean something other than a oil change
Old 11-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyedwin View Post
So, I have had my 2009 Cayman 2 months now and am getting the service icon on the dash. The oil was changed 4,000 miles ago, but that was a year ago. Does oil get stale? Should I change it now?
The oil should be changed every 5000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. A yearly inspection/maintenance should also be conducted and the computer reset at the time.

The "Service Now" nag screen will appear if it has not been reset in a year. This usually happens when an owner changes his own oil and conducts his own inspection/maintenance.

You can get your oil changed at a Porsche dealer ($$$$$) and they will reset the computer, or do it yourself ($), and get a scan tool to reset it yourself. Also, follow the recommended maintenance schedule in your owners manual.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:03 AM   #4

The 'Service Now' light is time based only, nothing else, to remind folks to wonder into their local Porsche dealership and empty their wallet. The dealership resets the light for next yr's unloading.

I've always done my own maintenance and for yrs I would take my car to the dealership to have the light reset. The service mgr would take my car around back, reset the light, and send me on my way. No charge. Then a few yrs ago he wanted $35 when he was done. Made some excuse about how before some ppl were being charged and some weren't and they needed to charge everyone. It was at that point I bought an iCarsoft Por II to reset the light. Would only take 3 resets to pay for itself. Have used it multiple times on my two 987s along with several Wheeler Dealer cars. Easily has paid for itself. You can find them on ebay, haven't checked the evil empire (Amazon) if they sell them too.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #5
Damn Yankee

Garage
I use the Autel DiagLink model. Great unit for less than a C-note.

Like husker boxster notes, the unit quickly pays for itself.

TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote