Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2020, 05:49 AM   #1

R Titled 2010 Cayman?

Debating this R Titled Cayman. It sounds like a decent deal if I can talk him down a bit. The damage was limited to panels and a window, which have since been repaired.

What do you all think?

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/7151468573.html

Slacker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
Damn Yankee

Garage
More than the usual due diligence is necessary here, but it may be worth the effort to check it out in person. I'm assuming you'd be willing to drive to Pittsburgh from Ohio to check it out, with a personal inspection and test drive.

Outlying points to consider:
* any municipal or insurance issues with registering a rebuilt car in Ohio
* cost of PDK maintenance (recommended at 40K miles)
* checking the hatch for water leaks
* if you're planning to resell in the future, the rebuilt title will be a negative

Some Caymans exhibit a rear trunk rattle. I believe this why the rear "curtain" is not affixed to the hatch, as shown in one of the pictures. Worth checking out.

But hey, if everything checks out, and you get a good deal, you will have one sweet ride.

Just sayin'...........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
NewUserName

No mention of any options, such as navigation.
Hard to equate that damage with needing a rebuilt title.
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #4

That's not much of a discount for a rebuilt title. $21K is about right for a private sale with that mileage in the pricing guides. I look at too many Porsche sale websites but I remember recently seeing a base 987.2 Cayman with similar miles for $21K.

Looks like it has heated seats, Bose, power seats which means it also has memory and rain sensing wipers. Also looks like it only has 1 key, which means it will cost you an addl $500 to have Porsche make & pgm a 2nd key.

997 / 987 PDKs are supposed to have the trans fluid flushed every 6 yrs or 60K mi. Chances are this one needs its first flush. If you have the dealer do it, the cost will be close to $1K.

2-seater sports cars are lifestyle vehicles. They can be bought and sold on a whim. Something in your life changes - get married, have a baby, get divorced, retire, downsize, etc that can impact whether a 2-seater is practical in your life. Buying a 2-seater with a tainted title really means you better evaluate your life situation. If you buy it and suddenly need to sell, people are going to wonder why. Obviously the damage wasn't severe, but you need to carefully consider purchasing this car.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #5

Found the car I mentioned in the last post. It's this car advertised on Rennlist for $21.5 (so I was right about yr & mileage ). Didn't remember the story behind it, just the price and miles. So maybe it's not too bad on price.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1201143
Old 07-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Damn Yankee

Garage
Terry,

That's the same exact car. Rebuilt title. Only now, the price has been reduced to $19.9K.

Seems like the owner wants to sell the car ASAP, so maybe a good deal can be struck.
As long as this Cayman passes the smell test, it could serve as a reasonable ride for someone who intends to keep, and maintain, it for a long time.

Just sayin'..........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:21 AM   #7

Yeah, I know it's the same car just a different price. I didn't explain it well, but that's what I meant when I said "it's this car advertised", as the same one in the orig post here. Sorry if that caused any confusion, it was kind of late when I was tickling the keyboard.