Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #1

Secondary air injection system issue

Hello, my Cayman 987.1 152K miles is giving me a CEL with codes P0491 and P0492, secondary air injection system insufficient flow.

I my AOS failed and was replaced a few weeks ago, and was running great since then, with a smooth idle. The weird thing I got this after the car was already warmed up.

I searched the forums for ways to fix but seen no real clear resolution but replacing eveything in that system one at a time, Also are there two air pumps(one for each side/bank) and how can they both be bad at same time,

I live in CA and cannot just reset the CEL, block off and disregard.

any more insight or experience would be greatly appreciated thanks

Batman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #2

Someone might have an answer here on this forum, but you might also search on Planet-9.com as it's more 987 centric.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman10 View Post
Hello, my Cayman 987.1 152K miles is giving me a CEL with codes P0491 and P0492, secondary air injection system insufficient flow.

I my AOS failed and was replaced a few weeks ago, and was running great since then, with a smooth idle. The weird thing I got this after the car was already warmed up.

I searched the forums for ways to fix but seen no real clear resolution but replacing eveything in that system one at a time, Also are there two air pumps(one for each side/bank) and how can they both be bad at same time,

I live in CA and cannot just reset the CEL, block off and disregard.

any more insight or experience would be greatly appreciated thanks
Remove the exhaust manifolds To see if the SAI passages are blocked, clean with brake cleaner spray.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No, only one air pump, one electronic valve and one check valve (as far as I can see on the PET).

Verify that the pump is coming on at cold start. If it is, then replace both valves. If it is not, check the pump fuse and relay.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #5

secondary air injection system issue

thanks for all the great ideals to try folks, will do

maybe a clue into my issue,

today I noticed going uphill on canyon road the revs would surge a little every five seconds which was weird and new. but was fine crusing on level ground and when stopped...
Old 10-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #6

under hard cornering the idle is fine,

I did the oil cap test while running and it there was no extreme suction so I am ruling out the AOS for now... but have heard some sad tales of new AOS installs that went south quickly,

my AOS failure was a bad one that got oil into intake, plugs, and probably cats so im thinking the oil must be in a air line or something
Old 05-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #7

Garage
I guess Iīm late to the party, but.. I donīt see that AOS should be related to the SAI-issue, other than perhaps that during the AOS-replacement someone happened to come by any part of the SAI-components, maybe a hose or connector came loose. Well I guess you already got this sorted out.

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote