Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #21

It's not only the spare wheel that the post 986/996 guys want. They want the jack and tool kit too. I use to have tons of tires, tool kits and jacks in stock before I started selling them on eBay for $250 a set. I sold 10 complete sets in a month. Now the only kits I have are the ones I haven't listed yet.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #22
Custom User Title Here

Garage
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #23

Garage
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #24

hmmmm....just when I planned to remove the spare wheel and go modern. My front jacking locations are covered by tie downs so the jack wont fit in them.....could lift from the rear I suppose.

I have never used tire sealant blown in by a compressor; my understanding was that this was the current standard and worked in most cases.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #25

I have a bunch of cars, and I'm pissed that most do not come with a spare. I've had my share of tire issues and in each case it was a non-repairable location(side wall) or not the tire but the wheel developed a hairline crack. I carry either a Harbor Freight lightweight aluminum floor jack or a compact low profile scissors jack in all my cars. Additionally, I've had 1/2 drive sockets welded to the end of the scissors jacks so I use my breaker bar or impact wrench to raise and lower those. I also carry plug kits, cans of fix a flat and small compressors in all my cars. I have 2 Vette's a street and a track Z06. The donut spare from my Caddy CTS fits the Vette's although I need 2 5/32" spacers for the spare to clear the front brake calipers. I have a Boxster and a Cayman S. The Boxster donut fits perfectly on front/rear of the Cayman. I found a new Boxster donut for $80 at a junkyard near me. That spare is secured by ratchet tie down straps in the rear of the Cayman-I was unable to figure out how to securely store the donut in the frunk. The scissors jack is wrapped in towels and stuffed with the breaker bar into that small compartment in the frunk below the battery. It seems secure in there and the towel keeps it from moving around. I don't think there's anything in there I can screw up-at least I hope there's nothing in there I can screw up-does anyone know if there is something in there I can screw up?

Last edited by mwestboxster; 12-27-2018 at 01:29 PM.
mwestboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #26

Garage
The 986 spare tire is a very good idea. I have a 986 2002 S which has a spare tire kit including jack, and I have another one left over 914 days which I ran Cup II rims with different front and rear tires sizes. Worked very well on the 914. Now, I carry two spares in the 986 with kit to provide service to others who need a spare tire.

I run a 2007 Corvette with radials and without a spare. This car is used for different reasons to travel. I do not like Corvette run-flats; they do affect the handling. Very happy with the radials without a spare but I do travel the roads where I have cell phone, AAA, traffic, and knowing where I can get emergency service. The Corvette us our "RV" where drive to a set destination and stay in historic hotel properties.
Steve Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #27

I have to ask how safe are these spare tires to use after 20 years? Can a replacement tire be even had these days? I wonder if it would actually fit on top of my spacers....it should. I think the best thing about the spare is it houses the tool kit.

Are we better off with shooting goo in there with compressor (what goo / compressor brand is is considered the best?) for tread punctures and or repair plugs for the side wall? I think I can fit a rear wheel in the passenger side but that seat could be taken

I have been lucky so far. I have been able to feel slow leak punctures (nails) almost
Immediately as a little more roll than normal and dive in to repair facility when needed. Perhaps this sensitivity was an off-shoot of track driving back in the day.

Been carrying around the spare for years and I am not convinced it’s entirely practical now. The car was even corner balanced with it in place!

Last edited by jaykay; 05-28-2019 at 09:27 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:07 AM   #28
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I have to ask how safe are these spare tires to use after 20 years? Can a replacement tire be even had these days?
Yes, donut replacements are still available if you wish to change your 20-year old rubber. Discount Tire sells them for about $100.

Just sayin'.......

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Yes, donut replacements are still available if you wish to change your 20-year old rubber. Discount Tire sells them for about $100.

Just sayin'.......

TO
Thanks man I will see if this true for Canada. Not sure we have discount tire..