Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 04:48 AM   #1

Another Cayman Picture

I just can't get over how great this car looks. I definately think black on black is the best color combo.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:59 AM   #2

I would love to see it in a black with red interior. Definately not a bad looking car.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
I would love to see it in a black with red interior. Definately not a bad looking car.
I would just love to see it in my driveway......

2003 Audi TT quattro Coupe
6-speed 225 HP Black/Black/Black
it's stock...no really it's stock man

My other car was a 2001 Boxster
MLegere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #4

I had the pleasure of test driving a Cayman S with PASM at Pioneer Centres in SD this w/e.

I have a 987 base and have test-driven the 987 S and I'd have to say that the Cayman was a significantly better performer, using my highly calibrated butt-dyno.

First off, the sales guy (who I purchased my 987 from, and was thus more "lenient" on the test drive) drove. I could tell the guy had driven a few Porsches in his time and he was pushing the car...HARD. Acceleration-wise, the 987 isn't going to snap your neck, the speed kind of sneaks up on you. The 987 S will get your spine moving a little laterally, but the Cayman literally did give me neck-snap. We all know how good (and perhaps unappreciated) the Boxster's brakes are but when he intentionally pulled into a gravel runoff and slammed on the brakes so we could switch seats I literally would have flown through the windshield if I hadn't been strapped in. It was a life-altering experience (granted I have only had to really apply my own car's brakes once and it impressed me, as well).

Compared to him, I drove like a 90 year old granny on life-support, but I still drove spiritedly and enjoyed the hell out of. Steering on the street obviously felt 987ish with little difference from my own car. I did enjoy the six-speed on the Cayman quite a bit (I have the five speed on mine) and the throws felt great. Obviously the interior "felt" and looked the same, and I didn't really contemplate the increased space in the environs that much.

Overall, it was a pimpin nice ride for sure. More similar to a base 911 I've driven (not hard) than to the 987 base. Made me wonder what a GT3 would be like to drive, when I hadn't previously given that much though.

However, I will say that the same thought crossed my mind as when I drive or shop for any sports car these days. When exactly will I be using all this performance? Third gear in a 987 will take you into the 90s and the whole time that we were driving we were in that "lose your license - no excuses accepted" territory, but I guess the appeal is more emotional than practical.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:37 PM   #5

Thumbs down Cayman mustache

WTF is going on at Porsche styling? Have you noticed the mustache on the Cayman front bumper? Did some idiot at the Porsche styling dept. decide at the last minute that the front air dam looked a little "heavy" so he decided "we"ll paint it aluminum"! It looks like they hired some low rider ricer to lay under the production line with a can of aluminum paint and a brush and add a Salvador Dali mustache to every Caymen coming off the line.

It amazes me that Porsche can design a $60,000. +, essentially monochromatic sports car that argueably is their sleekest, most beautiful design ever and then go through the trouble of adding a "dash" of cheap aluminum paint to it. Painted on accents have no place on an automobile of this caliber. They should send whoever OK'd this bit of styling horror back to GM. What next, decals on the hood?
Mark986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #6

Y'know, I seem to recall looking in the 2006 Cayman Tequipment catalog and seeing both the silver trim mirrors and the silver front air dams in there, so maybe they aren't standard equipment.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #7

They've already got them sitting outside at my dealer. I mean on the lot not just inside the showroom.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
When exactly will I be using all this performance? Third gear in a 987 will take you into the 90s and the whole time that we were driving we were in that "lose your license - no excuses accepted" territory, but I guess the appeal is more emotional than practical.
It's not about how fast it will go but rather the time it takes to get to a paticular speed. It's about acceleration not top speed folks. A car that goes 150mph but takes a year to get ther isn't exciting.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
bmussatti

More Pictures

Here are some good shots of the Cayman
Old 04-24-2006, 07:31 AM   #10

I like that rear shot of the red one.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #11

Make mine yellow, please.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #12

Some nice smok'n tires here....a 3.8L Cayman would be nice

Techart Cayman

Ex911Ownr is offline   Reply With Quote