986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Bumper Plug Question (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/8815-bumper-plug-question.html)

dmenn 12-30-2006 03:45 AM

Bumper Plug Question

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting bumper plugs for my Boxster. I've seen them advertised at bumperplugs.com and also through Suncoast Porsche. Does anyone have any experience with either?

Also, I have some plastic pieces that are currently in my bumper plug holes. (see attached picture) Do I have to remove these before installing the paint matched bumper plugs? Is it simply a matter of squeezing them with pliers and pulling them out?

Thanks for the help!
- Dave

bmussatti 12-30-2006 05:39 AM

Send an e-mail over to Eric at www.bumperplugs.com. He is very responsive. They send instructions with the product.

Order some Rejex wax too, when you order your plugs. This is great wax for your wheels and front bumper (easy to remove bug splatter!).

Jeph 12-30-2006 07:44 AM

$9.95 at Suncoast -cheapest I've seen them.

You'll just remove what's in the holes right now, then stick these bumper plugs in. I assume pliers will do just fine for removing what's there now.

blinkwatt 12-30-2006 11:47 AM

Something to note;Suncoast bumper plugs don't have a factory finish,they are color matched in matte,the reason Bumper Plugs are so expensive is the color matched factory finish. Just something to consider,I have the ones from Suncoast and couldn't be happier with them.

Adam 12-30-2006 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=bmussatti]Send an e-mail over to Eric at www.bumperplugs.com. He is very responsive. They send instructions with the product.
QUOTE]

I pity the fool that needs instructions for installing bumper plugs :D

unklekraker 12-30-2006 05:20 PM

[QUOTE=Adam]
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Send an e-mail over to Eric at www.bumperplugs.com. He is very responsive. They send instructions with the product.
QUOTE]

I pity the fool that needs instructions for installing bumper plugs :D

hahahahahahaha! :D :D :D

Adam 12-30-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unklekraker
hahahahahahaha! :D :D :D

lol....it's kinda like explaining sex to a 40 yr old virgin...if you have to explain it then we have serious problems.

jci-joe 12-31-2006 02:04 PM

Well I went ahead this morning and purchased the bumper plugs from bumperplugs.com along with the key hole cover. I hope that you can remove the keyhole plug in the event that the keyless remote battery dies. Anyone else used the keyhole cover? Their price was higher than the dealer but it sounds like it will match the car better. Seemed kinda stupid to nickel and dime a $53K car.

og57 01-04-2007 09:34 AM

I was wondering if the only way to install the bumper plugs is by drilling the hole bigger(as seen on there website) or can you just put them in the existing squareish hole?

NickCats 01-04-2007 09:57 AM

I have them on my car and they fit fine in the square holes, no drilling required...

Nick

RandallNeighbour 01-04-2007 10:25 AM

I cannot believe the self-ordained front license plate police on the forum haven't chimed in on this thread yet.

Long live the license plateless front bumper!

Norminhouston 01-04-2007 02:06 PM

I can't believe people pay that ridiculous price that Eric charges for bumper plugs. Simply go to your friendly dealer and ask for part # 999-703-432-40 Plastic Plug and paint it yourself. Total cost for the plugs $1.32

Norm

Grizzly 01-04-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norminhouston
I can't believe people pay that ridiculous price that Eric charges for bumper plugs. Simply go to your friendly dealer and ask for part # 999-703-432-40 Plastic Plug and paint it yourself. Total cost for the plugs $1.32

Norm

Oh sure Norm, now you tell me. :rolleyes: I paid thirty-some dollars with shipping for bumperplugs. When they got here, I was like WTF??? Seems to me that they're the same as the plugs you can find in the HELP section of any discount auto store with a nice coat of paint...the same nice coat of paint that I'm perfectly capable of spraying myself.

NickCats 01-04-2007 07:55 PM

I bought mine from BumperPlugs for $24.95

I think if you have a white, red, or yellow Boxster it is worth the $$$ since it is an exact color match and very hard to tell they are installed.

Part number 999-703-432-40 does not look like it would be flush with the bumper :

https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/pdf/de/catalogues/D_986_KATALOG.pdf

Page 216 Item 2

http://www.********************************************.com/model/986catalog/986-2.pdf

Page 98 Item 16 & 21

Page 99 Item 2 & 10

Norm, do you have a picture ?

Thanks,

Nick