Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 AM   #1

someone's advice on these 987 intakes?

I finally found ONE place that sells intakes for 987s.

I am not sure what to look for, however. I really need some advice and insight.

This one looks kind of cheap and under-priced. There's no tube, and the description says it installs directly on the factory air box.

http://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?PG=detail&PID=159582&VS=1

This one is from the same company, costs 30 bucks more (I'd be happy to pay it) and has a tube and all, BUT, on the pic, it says "utilizes OEM air feed pipe".

http://www.gmpperformance.com/index.cfm?PG=detail&PID=141376

Basically, I want to know if anyone has any info on these. I want a quality product. Not top of the line, but not a piece of trash either.

Advice and opinions are more than welcomed right now.

Thank you all.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #2

Maybe I can do a little ghetto set up using a 986 intake...hmmm!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #3

Anyone? I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:24 AM   #4

NOT a fan of the 'K+N' or 'K+N' clone air filters. On my old MB diesel board the conclusion was that they do allow more crud to get past than the OEM paper filters.

Oiled element air filters can cause you big grief. Too much oil combined with the high temps in our Boxster's engine bay can lead to a fouled up (literally) MAF.

If you choose to go this route be very cautious when cleaning and reoiling the element, you do not want to buy a new MAF.

Do any of the companies that are selling these kits offer certified dyno results of their claimed HP gains?

IMHO you may gain a little HP, the trade off is more dirt in the engine, risk of MAF failure, and more noise. Our cars are damn good from the factory, "improving" the car is almost always a trade off.
Rick Lindquist
ricklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:39 AM   #5

There is no dyno test and no money-back guarantee. I am going to skip this product. Not enough info for me to dish out 400 bucks for.

I am just going to buy the fabspeed muffler until someone comes out with a REAL intake for my car.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:13 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Save your hard earned $$ for tires. That is where the action is on these cars if you want max performance.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Save your hard earned $$ for tires. That is where the action is on these cars if you want max performance.
Best advice I've heard in a long time.

I'll add in to save money for gas, too! And sunscreen...
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #8

Well, I don't know about that...I've got the EVO intake and really love it!! The sound is so incredable that my son went out and ordered his the day after we installed mine! It took a few hours to get everything all installed (just because its always tight getting to that motor), I don't know about actual HP gains, but it makes this wonderful sucking sound when you tromp on the gas and especially around 5,000 RPM....music to my ears anyway. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
Ex911Ownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex911Ownr
Well, I don't know about that...I've got the EVO intake and really love it!! The sound is so incredable that my son went out and ordered his the day after we installed mine! It took a few hours to get everything all installed (just because its always tight getting to that motor), I don't know about actual HP gains, but it makes this wonderful sucking sound when you tromp on the gas and especially around 5,000 RPM....music to my ears anyway. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
Exactly! If you dig that louder intake noise... go for it. If you are hunting performance gains... forget it. The stock Porsche intake is excellent.

I have used K&N air filters for 30 years on highly modified dirt track and offroad racing machines. They make an excellent product and in the world of dirt track racing there is no substitute. They have their place... just not on my Boxter. Those boys in Stuttgart spent thousands of hours engineering the intake right the first time. I am not going to undo their fine work by bolting on an aftermarket intake just to make my car louder. To each his own though.

Last edited by Topless; 12-15-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #10

I do think you get a couple of HP out of it. I'm planning to do it next year. Letting the car suck in more air can't be bad.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I do think you get a couple of HP out of it. I'm planning to do it next year. Letting the car suck in more air can't be bad.
Randall, actually it can. As with most engineering designs, the final solution is a result of some sort of optimization. In this case, one needs to maximize air flow AND minimize debris getting into the engine. As Topless suggested, I will leave it to Porsche engineers to find that optimal spot. They want to get the most performance without risking damage to the engine -- same as I do. Our motives match closely, hence our optimal solutions have to be close.

Z.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #12

would you have the same opinion about widening the exhaust with new headers? I did that and gained HP and did not lose any low end power (from reduced back pressure).
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
They want to get the most performance without risking damage to the engine -- same as I do.
I partially agree with you but I'd say more that they're trying to hit a performance target than trying to extract the most possible. They have design parameters and are building to them.

If one wants to unleash a few more ponies at the expense of engine longevity, that is certainly within one's perogative, but it isn't going to make much of a difference. Real power ain't cheap. These intakes aren't what I consider a bang-for-the-buck modification. Nor would a simple muffler change be very worthwhile.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #14

The thing is, it doesn't even have a tube. It just uses the OEM tube. So I mean, what could it honestly accomplish besides a different sound? Yeah it gives a cone, ok, I could just buy an air filter and save 300+ bucks.

There is hardly anything out for my poor car.

I just want to get somewhere around 10hp and even with that I'd be MORE than happy.

I'm stuck.

Any other suggestions? The muffler says it deletes 2 of the cats, creating less back-pressure. Sound right to anyone?

As for tires, I have the 18" S wheels, I thought that'd be good enough.

Can I get bigger tires on these wheels?

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 12-15-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #15

Quote:
would you have the same opinion about widening the exhaust with new headers? I did that and gained HP and did not lose any low end power (from reduced back pressure).
Randall, in general, I am not in favor of mods. That's why I think it's worth paying the difference in price between the base and the S. I'd rather let Porsche engineers do the 'mods' optimized with the car as whole, test the design, and be prepared to stand behind it with a 4yr warranty. I don't know enough about cars to predict the long term effects of a mod to a car. I do know that those effects exist and are most rigorously researched at the factory -- then they are taken into consideration as parameters into the optimization process. Of course, there are people who know much more than me and are comfortable estimating those risks and taking them in return for increased performance.

So short answer to your question, yes, I do have the same opinion about that mod, but take my opinion for what it's worth, as my motivation comes from not knowing what I don't know.

Z.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
The thing is, it doesn't even have a tube. It just uses the OEM tube. So I mean, what could it honestly accomplish besides a different sound? Yeah it gives a cone, ok, I could just buy an air filter and save 300+ bucks.

I just want to get somewhere around 10hp and even with that I'd be MORE than happy.

I'm stuck.

Any other suggestions? The muffler says it deletes 2 of the cats, creating less back-pressure. Sound right to anyone?

As for tires, I have the 18" S wheels, I thought that'd be good enough.

Can I get bigger tires on these wheels?

So what are you going to do with those extra 10hp that you aren't able to do know? Why do you need bigger tires?

I was hoping you had understood that modding is a slippery slope and an addiction and you seemed OK to leave and enjoy the car just the way it is. Looks like you're back off the wagon (or on it, I can't remember). Consider this a friendly intervention.

Z.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #17
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Mods are always a tradeoff. We just don't always look down the road to see what the side effects will be. It has been tested and proven that the K&N/EVO oiled type air filters do let in a little more air, especially at high revs. They also often foul the Porsche MAF sensor causing a check engine light. We also know through testing that they let a little more grit in which will shorten engine life.

In a racing application you are not worried much about engine life. Performance is everything. In the Baja 1000 you build it to last 2000 miles just to be safe. Often it doesn't make it to the finish. You plan on rebuilding after every race. Track racing is the same. You plan to rebuild often. Performance is everything. K&N is your friend.

A street car is a little different. I want it to be reliable. I don't plan to rebuild often... if ever. A new Porsche motor is expensive... about the same price as a Corvette 6.0L crate motor. In this case I am very interested in engine life so I want the best protection from grit I can get. I really don't care about intake noise. I choose to keep my excellent Porsche air intake and paper element. I gladly give up a few ponies at rev limit in trade for 20-30K longer life on my motor, abscence of CEL issues and general peace of mind. It's always a tradeoff.

Last edited by Topless; 12-17-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #18

I want to be somewhere in the middle. This car is a lease for 3 years and I am protected under warranty for four (granted I can get mods that comply with warranty)

Engine life is not a priority for me because I don't keep my cars for very long.

You could make the argument that driving your car hard shortens engine life and causes things to wear as well, but I still want to drive her hard. This is no different in the sense that it will put extra wear in all likelihood, but it fits in more with my purposes.

I want to make my car perform to my liking without completely compromising reliability. This is very doable and this is the middle-ground which I am looking for.

10hp would make enough difference for me to be happy. Since this is a lightweight car, it is very elastic to those power increases.

I don't want a 400hp drag car, nor do I want to keep the status quo necessarily.

If I could have gotten the S I would have, but I couldn't. I don't wanna get into personal reasons as to why.

I have been checking out the ImagineAuto stage 2 performance upgrade which includes intake an ECU "flash", but I'm not sure if it's worth 1400 bucks for a CLAIMED 15-18hp (15-18 is worth it, but it's claimed, and that makes it questionable)

Some friends told me I could get a custom muffler made for only a few hundred bucks but I can't find any places that do it.

I'm just looking for a small bit of added performance. No more than 20hp.

Then again I am sure when I get that 20hp, I will want more lol. But I will try control myself
Old 12-17-2006, 11:03 PM   #19

Quote:

I'm stuck.
Welcome to my world. Ever since I got mine I've been poking around the web, looking for parts. Everything I've found has been priced way out of proportion with its worth.

You're just going to have to be happy with the car the way it is, and when you think about it, that's not such a bad thing.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #20

Quote:
I want to be somewhere in the middle. This car is a lease for 3 years and I am protected under warranty for four (granted I can get mods that comply with warranty)

Engine life is not a priority for me because I don't keep my cars for very long.

You could make the argument that driving your car hard shortens engine life and causes things to wear as well, but I still want to drive her hard. This is no different in the sense that it will put extra wear in all likelihood, but it fits in more with my purposes.

I want to make my car perform to my liking without completely compromising reliability. This is very doable and this is the middle-ground which I am looking for.

10hp would make enough difference for me to be happy. Since this is a lightweight car, it is very elastic to those power increases.

I don't want a 400hp drag car, nor do I want to keep the status quo necessarily.

If I could have gotten the S I would have, but I couldn't. I don't wanna get into personal reasons as to why.

I have been checking out the ImagineAuto stage 2 performance upgrade which includes intake an ECU "flash", but I'm not sure if it's worth 1400 bucks for a CLAIMED 15-18hp (15-18 is worth it, but it's claimed, and that makes it questionable)

Some friends told me I could get a custom muffler made for only a few hundred bucks but I can't find any places that do it.

I'm just looking for a small bit of added performance. No more than 20hp.

Then again I am sure when I get that 20hp, I will want more lol. But I will try control myself
Bavarian Motorist,

I am also considering the Imagine Auto Stage 2 next year.

$2200 for 25 HP.

I think the car will sound great and probably be a lot more responsive, but I do wonder how much of a difference an additional 25 HP will make

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote