Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2023, 10:47 AM   #1

Suspension Recommendations

Greetings! New to Boxster ownership and researching suspension options.

I have a 2001 Boxster S with 62k miles on it. A previous owner put in HR lowering springs about 14 years ago at around 25K miles. The struts and shock absorbers are stock. The ride height is quite low and our roads in the Bay Area are pretty beat up (especially where I live in the East Bay). I'd like to swap out the springs for something a little higher.

One of the rear wheel bearings is being replaced right now so it would be a good time to swap them out. What would you do?

- just swap out the springs - go back to stock springs, US M030 Springs, ROW M030 Springs or something else?
- Go for a new suspension kit because the current struts may be warn out from riding low for so long?
- Go with a ROW M030 suspension kit because all the cool kids are doing it? If so, where can I buy it for a reasonable price?

This is will be a weekend fun car that may see an occasional driving event....not a an autocross or track star.

Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:13 AM   #2

By your description, I would go to the OEM (ROW) springs with a new set of good shock absorbers like Bilstein's :-)
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:15 PM   #3

Thanks! Is there a site you recommend for buying them from? Availability is all over the place and some don't clearly label them.

Are there only four OEM options?
- US M030
- ROW M030
- US Standard
- ROW Standard

Also, how do you determine the correct bilsteins to order? I want to make sure I correctly match the shocks and springs for performance and longevity. I'm wondering if the lowering the previous owner did contributed to the wheel bearing issue.

My current situation is a lot like this guy's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr6iRMH3drw
Old 05-18-2023, 08:15 AM   #4

Any recommendations on where to buy them? I've seen ROW M030 parts listed before, but not the standard ROW parts.

Also, if I decide to go with a full ROW M030 set up instead, where should I buy it? Suncoast has it for like $3300, but old posts indicate it's only like $1200 to $1500. Have prices gone way up? Seem like aftermarket would be a better deal at those rates.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:06 AM   #5

typically you want shorter dampers if going with lower springs. so previous owner appears to have a bit of a mis-match. go too low and you can't align your car properly (toe arms don't have enough travel which impacts toe values) and you get bump steer.

the full suspension kits are big $ and you should be able to piece something together for less - bilstein hd are the standard damper and bilstein sport are the shorter ones.. then just find a lowering spring that isn't as aggressive as h&r (pro tip - try to avoid h&r altogether if possible).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:26 PM   #6

Thanks! After a lot of thought, I'm thinking of just going with OEM "S" shocks and springs.

However, I am intrigued by the Koni Special Actives, which also happen to be on sale. Any thoughts on how they compare to the OEM Bilstein B4s?
Old 06-18-2023, 12:41 PM   #7

Bump! Anyone tried Koni Special Active struts with stock “S” springs and sway bars?
Old 06-22-2023, 08:51 PM   #8

Danimal,

I've been running the Koni Special Active shocks with H&R springs for a number of years and go to the occasional HPDE/track day with my local PCA group. I originally had original "S" springs on them. I also have Tarret sway bars, front and back. I find that the ride quality is very compliant and civil, and will hold up well as a daily driver. It will absorb the imperfections on the street quite well, but if it's a big dip or massive hole, there's nothing that can save it.

I know I'm going against Koni's recommendation of using aftermarket lowering springs (which you should not do - use the original springs.) My one annoyance that is self inflicted is lowered cars in cities that are not lowered car friendly is not fun. I want to go back to stock but lose the alignment setting which I don't want to give up.