986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   coolant leaked all out (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/8321-coolant-leaked-all-out.html)

djomlas 11-24-2006 01:36 PM

coolant leaked all out

i was at a light and a driver next to me noticed that 'something green' was leaking out of my car.
well all the coolant leaked out, and it was smoking couse it leaked all over the cats or something hot under there.
i topped it off with water and drove it home like this, what can i do now?

i took the carpet out of the trunk and no leaks in the tank...what else can i check?
thx

blinkwatt 11-24-2006 01:46 PM

I would get the car up on a jack and at least see what exactly had coolant spilt on it. Look around that area and try to find out what exactly broke/cracked/loosened that would have caused the leak. Good Luck!

Chills 11-24-2006 02:15 PM

I hope you filled it up with distilled water so your coolant system doesn't get clogged.

That really sucks, bro. +1 on the above post. See if you can find if it's something you can fix easily.

djomlas 11-24-2006 02:54 PM

i did fill it up with water.

is it weird that it does not leak anymore, anywhere....but after a while the light comes on, the light to the right of the temp gauge, but the actual needle stays at 180 or so....

Adam 11-24-2006 03:54 PM

Regular water will leave deposits though...I'm thinking you didn't put distilled water in it. You better flush the whole system if that's the case. If you are low on fluid the light on the right part of the gauge will flash. If it stays on then the car is telling you it's getting overheated. I wouldn't drive it until you find out whats going on.

Boxtaboy 11-24-2006 04:39 PM

You could have the old style coolant cap which Porsche updated, cause the old one released coolant at a lower pressure than desired. Check if you have the old one or not. Also, these guys are correct, if you do add water, make sure it is distilled water, and not plain water or mineral water, or else you'll have to flush the whole system.

Left is old coolant cap, right is new updated one (it's only like $25 bucks at dealer):
http://i4.tinypic.com/1692qhj.jpg

Chills 11-24-2006 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
Regular water will leave deposits though...I'm thinking you didn't put distilled water in it. You better flush the whole system if that's the case. If you are low on fluid the light on the right part of the gauge will flash. If it stays on then the car is telling you it's getting overheated. I wouldn't drive it until you find out whats going on.

Thanks Adam, that's what I was getting at when I said distilled water. I wouldn't want his coolant systems gunked up with mineral deposits.

djomlas 11-24-2006 06:53 PM

i found somewhere else that the cap may be the problem, and at this pointi think tht this actually may be the problem. i looked and indeed i do have a 996 106 44700 cap, no the 44701 one, so i will be off to dealer to get a new cap tomorrow and see what happens...

RandallNeighbour 11-24-2006 07:12 PM

hopefully it's just a cap... my coolant overflow tank had cracks in it, which is typical in older boxsters. Also, the hoses can get brittle and crack. Have the dealer check the whole system while they're at it.

boggtown 11-24-2006 07:14 PM

Hopefully its just the cap. But if not, do the old method of putting cardboard under your car and it will show exactly where its leaking.

djomlas 11-24-2006 08:30 PM

im not letting a dealer touch it... ill b getting the cap tomorrow, now that i think about it when i opened the trunk there was coolant all around the cap, and on the actual trunk above the cap when its closed.

also, ill be getting the coolant, how much exactly will i need to fill it up to the specs? ill be flushing the system and then putting new coolant in it.

Chills 11-25-2006 06:51 AM

Make sure you get the Porsche coolant and distilled water. 1:1 mix ratio. Glad it was only the cap.

djomlas 11-25-2006 07:00 AM

well i hope that it was only the cap. i will be replacing all my coolant couse i used just regular water. how much coolant will i need to get?
i called loeaber motorsport and they have a cap, $17.50 so im off to get it
thx

djomlas 11-25-2006 12:24 PM

went to the dealer, got the cat, flushed it out, all is good now, if that was the problem then its solved. so far no more blinking light, drove it for an hour or so, temp stays at about 180 or so...