986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Paddle shifters (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/82877-paddle-shifters.html)

Dllrd23 01-20-2023 11:47 AM

Paddle shifters

I think I have this right but wanted to throw it out and get confirmation. The paddle shifters on the steering wheel are momentary switches that provide a ground to whichever action is chosen by the driver actuating the switch (upshift/downshift). Does anybody know the voltage that is present on the individual single wires going to the switch? I am having a problem with mine not working and wanted to start at the wheel and work backward. Thanks in advance.

Plato986 02-22-2023 03:01 PM

Paddle shifters

The Bently 986 shop manual has great wiring diagrams. I have found it very valuable in tracing out circuits. All the voltage will be 12 VDC. With a DMM you can read wires to ground on the DC voltage side and also find grounded wires with continuity.
It makes things way easier when you have a schematic.

Dllrd23 02-23-2023 02:29 AM

I know some modules use a 5v ref signal but that is usually to some sort of variable resistor with a return line. I don’t think that is the case here I was just wondering if there should be any voltage present or if it is just completion of the ground circuit. Bentley and ProDemand diagrams don’t specify which it is. I guess I just have to get in there and check it both ways taking care not to fry the transmission control module. That’s for your reply. I will post a follow up here in case anyone is curious.

78F350 02-23-2023 12:53 PM

I have paddles that I plan to install, but it's way down on my project list. At the TCU, pin (46) BR/YE is up-shift and (47) BR/BK is down-shift. Those are wired to the switches and are switched to ground. At the steering wheel on the '01 I looked at the BR/BK wire becomes BR/RD from the column harness. At idle with the brake applied I measured a little over 11V at the steering wheel harness on both.

Dllrd23 02-23-2023 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78F350 (Post 651289)
I have paddles that I plan to install, but it's way down on my project list. At the TCU, pin (46) BR/YE is up-shift and (47) BR/BK is down-shift. Those are wired to the switches and are switched to ground. At the steering wheel on the '01 I looked at the BR/BK wire becomes BR/RD from the column harness. At idle with the brake applied I measured a little over 11V at the steering wheel harness on both.

11v is the answer I’m looking for. I fully expect there to be 0 v at the wheel as mine are inop. Originally thought it may be a ground or click spring as they are in common with the horn that wasn’t working but I found a blown fuse for the horn and it works now (eliminate ground from the thought process). Anyway, I’m going after it this weekend as I am still waiting for intake bolts from FPC EURO for 11 days😖. Thanks again for your help.