986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Boxster 986 clutch (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/82688-boxster-986-clutch.html)

AlbiS986 11-09-2022 04:43 PM

Boxster 986 clutch

Hi Folks,

I love these kind of forums and thank you for letting me be a part of this one. So I just got a boxster recently. I love it. Its 2000, 45K on the clock and in good shape. To me the clutch feels too stiff and too long. The clutch was disengaging too close to the end of its travel for my liking (away from the floor). I bled the slave cylinder. Now the clutch disengages where it is meant to, down closer to the floor but it still has a very long travel and it seems pretty stiff. Previous owner assures me the clutch was replaced recently by an indy mechanic.

What should the clutch feel like on these? Is there any way to shorten the travel? Now that the clutch is disengaging near the floor like it should - there is a lot of dead travel near the top and its pretty uncomfortable and not to mention stiff. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks

Albi

AlbiS986 11-14-2022 09:00 AM

No opinions about this or should I be posting elsewhere? - Thanks

Homeoboxter 11-14-2022 07:19 PM

To me it sounds normal. I was also surprised of the pedal travel and the stiffness when I first tried the car. And this was after installing a new clutch and replacing the brake fluid. I got used it. If still in doubt try another car to see if it feels different.

JDMsurprise 11-16-2022 09:42 PM

There should be a helper spring on the clutch pedal under the dash. Has your's been removed?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Sandy G 11-25-2022 03:39 PM

2000BS here. I always notice the long travel, too. My car got a new clutch and was bled recently, so I assume it's normal.

Meir 11-28-2022 01:57 PM

“Too stiff” and “too long” are relative descriptions.
I owned two boosters in the past, a 99 and 01S. I replaced clutch kits on both, and the difference between the old and new was night and day, both for the stiffness and for the pedal travel.
With that said the Boxster does have “stiffer” and “longer” clutch pedal compared to other cars, especially front mounted engine with cable activated clutch.
Your car has only 45K miles, but the components are over 22 years old, so it could be it is time to replace the clutch disk and pressure plate.
I suggest you try to get with your local Porsche club, and ask one of the guys to let you drive their car for comparison.

blue62 11-28-2022 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 649883)
“Too stiff” and “too long” are relative descriptions.
I owned two boosters in the past, a 99 and 01S. I replaced clutch kits on both, and the difference between the old and new was night and day, both for the stiffness and for the pedal travel.
With that said the Boxster does have “stiffer” and “longer” clutch pedal compared to other cars, especially front mounted engine with cable activated clutch.
Your car has only 45K miles, but the components are over 22 years old, so it could be it is time to replace the clutch disk and pressure plate.
I suggest you try to get with your local Porsche club, and ask one of the guys to let you drive their car for comparison.

How would age affect a clutch disk and pressure plate???
I have never in 50+ years of wrenching on cars ever heard of changing out a clutch disc and pressure plate based on age of said components.