Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #1

Trouble shooting P0336 RPM circuit code

All,

I'm at a loss for my P0336 code.
Its a 2003 2.7L was a Tiptronics car converted to a manual (DME software for manual and appropriate wires swapped). It ran after the swap.
I have a p0336 code.

When I first got the code it happens with cam sensor bank 2 error. Replaced the cam sensor and that code went away but the crank /RPM error P0336 remains.

Per Porsche's diagnostics:
Check the crank sensor. Did that and tried a second one.
Check wiring from DME to sensor. Done, checks out.
Checked mechanical timing of all 4 cams to the crank. It all checks out.
Swapped DME (with immobilizer and transponder (key pill)). Still get the code.
I have RPM on the tach, in the scan tool and crank sensor output on an oscilloscope.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Endurance Racer; 11-04-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Endurance Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:54 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It seems that you have been through the electronic possibilities and eliminated them. How about a bent tooth on the flywheel? A mechanical issue. You would still get the main tick from the timing gap, but a pulse from one or two teeth could be weak or missing.
My Audi info on that code also mentioned the possibility of reversing the polarity on the sensor, but a quick look at the engine in my garage says you'd have to break something to plug it in wrong.

..Please note the disclaimer in my signature before taking time to remove parts to check the flywheel.

Last edited by 78F350; 11-04-2022 at 02:57 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
It seems that you have been through the electronic possibilities and eliminated them. How about a bent tooth on the flywheel? A mechanical issue. You would still get the main tick from the timing gap, but a pulse from one or two teeth could be weak or missing.
My Audi info on that code also mentioned the possibility of reversing the polarity on the sensor, but a quick look at the engine in my garage says you'd have to break something to plug it in wrong.

..Please note the disclaimer in my signature before taking time to remove parts to check the flywheel.
I'm going to take a closer look at that for sure....
Old 11-06-2022, 04:02 AM   #4

Looking again at the crank sensor oscilloscope trace, I'm seeing inconsistencies in the cyl #1 trigger.
Hum...

So i'm going to look at the sensor, sensor mounting, Flywheel teeth, flywheel mounting.

Last edited by Endurance Racer; 11-06-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:18 AM   #5

Problem found.
I need to pull the transmission to get to the flywheel to see exactly what happened.
:dance:
Old 11-07-2022, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance Racer View Post
Problem found.
I need to pull the transmission to get to the flywheel to see exactly what happened.
:dance:
Pull your CPS sensor as well, normally if one is chewed up, so is the other one.
Old 11-07-2022, 11:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Pull your CPS sensor as well, normally if one is chewed up, so is the other one.
Yes I checked the crank sensor and it good. No marks No damage. It was something else.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:45 AM   #8

uhh, a new flywheel on the way?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 03:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
uhh, a new flywheel on the way?

Yes, Since I have to get a new flywheel, does anyone have a recommendation for a nice light weight flywheel?
Old 11-09-2022, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes, Since I have to get a new flywheel, does anyone have a recommendation for a nice light weight flywheel?
Aasco should be a good one. Mine is on a way, so no first hand experience yet.
If you install this, the clutch disc should have spings to take off some vibration and / or balance the rotating internals of the engine.
https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD11401202/lightweight-flywheel-986-9871-boxster-and-cayman-aasco-13-lbs-59-kg-aluminum.html
Old 11-10-2022, 07:20 AM   #11

I'm reading that some don't think a lightweight low mass flywheel is a good idea because it leads to crank shaft failures.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm reading that some don't think a lightweight low mass flywheel is a good idea because it leads to crank shaft failures.
Next to which oil to use, this is always a contentious subject. Yes, there have been crankshaft failures associated with removing the harmonic dampening of the dual mass flywheel, Porsche released a TSB warning dealers to not warranty such damage if a single mass flywheel was in use.

One of the biggest issues is the lightweight flywheel itself, we have seen some that were several grams out of balance themselves right out of the box. That could be corrected by having whoever does your engine balancing spin it up and correct the imbalance (including the new clutch assembly), but not everyone does that, and ultimately pays the price.

Proceed at your own risk.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 11-10-2022 at 08:17 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Next to which oil to use, this is always a contentious subject. Yes, there have been crankshaft failures associated with removing the harmonic dampening of the dual mass flywheel, Porsche released a TSB warning dealers to not warranty such damage if a single mass flywheel was in use.

One of the biggest issues is the lightweight flywheel itself, we have seen some that were several grams out of balance themselves right out of the box. That could be corrected by having whoever does your engine balancing spin it up and correct the imbalance (including the new clutch assembly), but not everyone does that, and ultimately pays the price.

Proceed at your own risk.

It's an endurance race car -- he won't know what killed it when it does die :-)

I have a SPB and a ChampCar with an AASCO.
Also had a Boxster S drive to the track car with an AASCO, about 10k track miles on that setup. Sold it a few years back -- still going strong as best I know.

YMMV,

Mike

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote