Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #1

Boxster S Coolant pipes on 2.5

Has anyone installed Boxster S coolant pipes in their base 2.5?
If so does anyone know exactly which parts are needed?
Thanks!

the5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:55 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here... Let me teach you to fish:
  • Go to Porsche and get catalog.
  • Look at diagrams.
  • Match diagram to part numbers. (M008 is the code for 3.2L engine)
-------
EDIT: Here's the link. On my PC, I scroll about half way down the page to enter model and year: https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuineparts/originalpartscatalogue/

-------

-------

Last edited by 78F350; 10-11-2022 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added web page link
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:24 PM   #3

Garage
I had some tubes out today and took the opportunity for a picture. Without looking at the parts diagram, it looks like the hose to/from the engine is the same.

I didn't have the forward tubes from the wheel well handy, but you can see they are larger diameter on the S.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:39 AM   #4

Wow! As you often just work on one part of a system, you don't always realize or appreciate that there is a deliberate design to the whole system. Those pictures really emphasize the complexity and, to be honest, the elegance of the design. Thank you for the images.

Last edited by alynch; 10-13-2022 at 09:21 AM.
alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #5
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I just noticed some liquid coming from what seems the middle of the car immediately on start up. From the looks of the pics of the pipe system you posted it looks unlikely that the liquid is really coming from the center due to the middle of the car is actually metal pipe. Looks like I will need to get it up in the air and take the panels off to actually see where the leak is. So thank you very much for posting the pics.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
I just noticed some liquid coming from what seems the middle of the car immediately on start up. From the looks of the pics of the pipe system you posted it looks unlikely that the liquid is really coming from the center due to the middle of the car is actually metal pipe. Looks like I will need to get it up in the air and take the panels off to actually see where the leak is. So thank you very much for posting the pics.
This leaking location could be also due to the liquid traveling on top of the plastic panels and dropping out someplace middle of the car. If this is the case, the actual leak could be pretty far off from where it shows up as wet spots on the ground.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:49 AM   #7
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Yes i agree. I definitely need to get it up on the Quickjack, take the bottom panels off and find the leak.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:26 AM   #8
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Well i think I found the leak. Please note this is on my original 986 that I haven't been driving this year.
I was going over the car getting it ready for winter storage. I only have a 1 bay garage so this car will need to stay out side under a cover. I have a lot of little leaves that fall of the tree so I wanted to make sure all the drains were clear. The front drain on the drivers side near the battery was plugged. There was a lot of water trapped there. So much so that when I moved the car last week and saw liquid running out of the bottom of the car I now think it was at such an angle that the water was running out of a high spot on the wall with a missing grommet. It actually didn't seem like coolant when I checked it on the ground, but figured it must be.
So the drain has since been cleared and hopefully when I start it back up in the spring there will be no water running out, so therefore no problem.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:40 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
... The front drain on the drivers side near the battery was plugged. There was a lot of water trapped there. So much so that when I moved the car last week and saw liquid running out of the bottom of the car I now think it was at such an angle that the water was running out of a high spot on the wall with a missing grommet....
Tommy, I had that happen on a 1999 and some water leaked into the brake booster. before I realized water got in, it developed rust inside and the brake pedal started to bind. If the water was high enough to reach the boot on the booster, you may want to find a way to check for water in there.