Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2022, 07:11 PM   #1

Garage
Is it toast?

I have owned a Boxster for exactly 8 weeks. I have worked around the clock trying to get it patched up and on the road. I finished up replacement of the pads at the vario cam solenoids last weekend. Fired it up Tuesday night. Ran great for a few minutes until I noticed it was spewing oil all over the ground. I shut it down and investigate. I find these on the floor ...

Cool. Did some research and it seems I fell into the same trap as this fellow: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/510492-intermix-repair-camshafts-threaded-plugs.html The cam tool I bought fit perfectly in the end of the cam plug ... it looked like a intentional fit.

I tore down bank one this evening and find this when inspecting the cam cover

Looks like the bearing nearest the plug that blew was starved of oil and has some galling. From my research it seems this is not repairable and means replacement of the entire head ... !?! I have not looked at the other bank but assume it is in similar condition.

So, I buy a different motor or part this puppy out? Advice? Thoughts? Comments? (other than I am a dumbass for buying a $5000 Boxster)

This is my first Porsche, but I have been wrenching on VWs and Audis for 20 years, rebuilt many motorcycles, maintain CNC equipment at work ... never had something kick my *** quite like this car.

EB_KC is offline   Reply With Quote