Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2023, 04:07 PM   #1
COYOT3

Garage
Startup noise?

Hello everyone, 1st time posting here. Really like the site it's helped so much so far already.

I have an 01' boxster (2.7) just a tad over 100k on the clock. It's been making a high pitch wine on startup...but if I turn the car off and turn it back on it goes away. Can't seem to track it down. I've kept up on maintenance so far. Fresh oil change and all that. And this issue just started when it started to get juusssttt a lil cold. I'm located in south Texas.

-any help would be appreciated.

SlvrC0yot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 07:14 PM   #2

Garage
Accessory belt slipping? Take the front engine cover off to see if is that. Behind the seats, carpeting and sound insulation has to be removed.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 03:59 PM   #3

Every time I've heard a whine it was the water pump going out. One would only leak at startup.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 05:40 AM   #4

The sqeal noice at the thart up on the older Boxster is fairly common.
Take a look at this video and if the noice is same, the repair is easy by claning & lubing OR changing the starter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9qnnf2kWU
Old 01-08-2024, 08:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrC0yot3 View Post
It's been making a high pitch wine on startup...but if I turn the car off and turn it back on it goes away. Can't seem to track it down.
Mine makes a whine on cold startup that concerned me at first. After looking into it, it was the Secondary Air Injection Pump. Which on a cold start turns on for about 90 seconds. Then shuts off. Apparently it is suppose to make that noise.
nIXne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:31 PM   #6

The issue is the bendix on the starter gets stuck and the engine drags it and throws it back with a squeeling sound, you need to remove the starter and clean it and lubricate the pinion gear and shaft, very common problem, I have the same issue but I have not get the time to fix it but will report back

MasterDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote