Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #1
Artist, 986S tinkerer

PSS9 settings

I've just installed a set of coilovers (PSS9s, watch for the upcoming video on my channel). I installed them with factory settings, ride height, etc. I quickly noticed that the #1 setting on these were not compatible with Montreal streets! Dialed back to 9 and they're smooth as stock. Question: what settings are you using for city and, more importantly, what settings for track?

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #2

Hello James,

I don't have a personal experience with the PSS9's but I am on my second set of KWV3's (987 & 981) and I would suggest that you first set the at the MFR suggested settings and thereafter, adjust 'one click at the time' for compression and for rebound, then drive after each change to see how you like the differences, thereafter you go to the next click until you find the setting you feel comfortable.

After installing the first set, I was lucky that Eric (Hergesheimer) was with me at the track and provide great support adjusting the tire pressures and the struts as these are obviously directly related with each other, basically you will be doing 'a lot of trial and error' until you find the setting that you feel comfortable with.

I know that you will love your new struts, the adjustability brings them a step up from the non adjustable OEM set up.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #3

I ended up putting mine at 4 all around and leaving it there paired with 29 and 33-34psi. It is harsh on the street at times. They have not fixed the roads yet???? When under the car I can verify my clicks.....I don't recall where one is....CCW?

6 was nice but too soft on turn in. I have never messed with different damping front to back
Old 04-13-2021, 06:35 PM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Thanks! Montreal's mayor wants to get rid of all the cars and get everyone on Bixis all year round so why fix the roads. With all the work on the infrastructure, the roads are just covered in orange cones anyway!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:38 AM   #5
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
With all the work on the infrastructure, the roads are just covered in orange cones anyway!
Ive driven in pretty much every major city in Canada and I do remember Montreal’s roads as very pot holey (new word). But by far the worst roads on a consistently bad basis in every neighbourhood are right here in River City, Winnipeg, my home town. Pot holes exist from April to November and the only time they get level with the road is when they are packed with ice in the winter. There are really only 2 driving seasons here, winter and construction.

The CAA does a yearly survey of worst roads in Manitoba and I usually just tell them every road in Winnipeg.

Here they don’t even mark the pot holes with cones, there isn’t that much orange plastic on the planet to address the need. Maybe use those orange cones you have as auto cross markers and make a game of it.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #6

Just went in....errrrr under the car to check my settings after some comments from passengers.....regarding harsh ride.

They were on 1! I don't remember leaving them there after my last track adventure years ago now. I thought I had them all at 4 at the highest! I was wondering: am I getting too old for this car? Shall forget about building a GT40 kit? Well I am happy to report otherwise

Anyway these older style setting knobs could easily move as you put the cap back on while lying on your back under the car. I am going to experiment with a light coating of oil inside the cap such that it slides on without torque and report back. Be wary of thinking you are definitely on 9 for street or 1 for the track. Settings could change just by pulling the cap off as well.

Perhaps I am old enough now for a lift.....CCW to 1 is stiffer, facing the dial

Last edited by jaykay; 10-14-2021 at 12:17 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote