Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #1

Oil Analysis - Bi-Metal bearings

I have been a member for a few years and have always been able to find answers to my questions using the search function until now. So thank you to all those that have contributed and made this a very useful resource.
This is my first post and it is regarding my oil analysis. I have had the Boxster for a couple of years and finally decided to start doing oil analysis. The comments on the analysis are:
"This is a great first set of results for the Boxster. Universal averages for this kind of 2.8L engine are based on a pretty similar run of about 1,600 miles, and as hoped, you have metals at pretty routine levels. It's interesting to note that your sample doesn't show any lead, making us wonder if your Porsche has been fitted with bi-metal (aluminum/tin) bearings instead of the more classic ones with a babbit. That's fine either way, as we're not seeing any signs of poor wear. No fuel or water contamination was noted, and the viscosity is in spec for 0W/40. Nice report!"

Obviously I'm relieved to have a good report but I'm curious about the bi-metal bearings. Can anybody shed some light on this? Were they used from the factory, is this a sign of a rebuild, etc.?
I don't have any service history on the car prior to my ownership. It's a 2000 base with 120,000 miles. I have replaced most of the wear items in the suspension. The "take off" parts appeared to be original based on the amount of wear.
I appreciate any insight that is offered.

TNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #2

Garage
Very interesting. I just looked it up and wikipedia says the babbitt bearing material does not contain lead... Also, I would not expect traces of bearing material in the oil anyways in a perfectly working engine, especially after 1500 miles. In optimal conditions the journals and bearings minimally contact each other, there`s an oil film in between provided by oil pressure. Many engines reportedly run over a million miles with the original bearing set...
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #3

2.8l engine?? 2.5, 2.7, 2.9, 3.2 but 2.8????

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote