986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Decent shocks for budget overhaul (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/79465-decent-shocks-budget-overhaul.html)

spongebob 01-30-2021 06:36 AM

Decent shocks for budget overhaul

After almost 21 years I assume that most of the parts in my suspension would be due for overhaul. It is completely untouched since new.
Most of the parts seems to be available from good aftermarket brands at reasonable price.
Only part that is killing my budget is the shocks which I see as very important to have the precision back in the car again.
Does there exist any brands that are good but wont ruin the budget.
Koni and Bilstein are for sure good but pricey, anyone that has good experience from other makers shocks? or maybe have seen a great deal on the Bilstein/Koni.

ike84 01-30-2021 10:22 AM

I went with godspeed coilovers. I drive country backroads in a spirited fashion on a daily basis and I love them. I have them set to 25%front. 50%rear and it drives like a dream

Radman 02-12-2021 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike84 (Post 629875)
I went with godspeed coilovers. I drive country backroads in a spirited fashion on a daily basis and I love them. I have them set to 25%front. 50%rear and it drives like a dream

How long have you had them? Finding reviews on a 986 for those things is fruitless for the most part. I've heard they don't last that long, but at least are rebuildable.

Quadcammer 02-12-2021 11:19 AM

look at Feal coilovers. excellent product.

chaiyz 02-13-2021 02:30 PM

Feal would be way beyond his budget. 7K for 4 corners on a 986.

ike84 02-13-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radman (Post 630400)
How long have you had them? Finding reviews on a 986 for those things is fruitless for the most part. I've heard they don't last that long, but at least are rebuildable.

I have about 3k miles on them since I out them in last summer. No issues yet. I'm surprised you found any reviews at all, I couldn't find jack on them online. The reason I finally went with them was because I met a guy at a garage who used to tune ricers for autocross and godspeed sponsored his personal car. He loved them, saying that he beat the crap out of them and they kept up with it. He echoed the sentiment that they're not bilsteins but they're good for what they are. I've never driven bilsteins before so I have nothing to compare them to except the 20year old oem struts and there was no comparison. The spring rates are pretty high so when I started with the front and back on full click it was a rather crazy (like throwing you up in the seat over a bridge joint at 70mph) but after getting them dialed in I'm really happy with them. Time will tell how they hold up though.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Escy 02-14-2021 02:14 AM

Yellow Speed Racing offer coilovers for the 986 at a good price. Had a set on my 986 and they were good. Bought a set for my 987 now.

Quadcammer 02-16-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaiyz (Post 630479)
Feal would be way beyond his budget. 7K for 4 corners on a 986.

7k krona or usd?

i'm confused

Geof3 02-19-2021 09:13 PM

I literally just bought a full set of Feal coil overs for 1400.00 out the door. Not sure where 7k comes from? The were actually recommended by my local dealer service dept head. I had looked at them before the recommendation. Seem to be a great product for the $$$.

edc 02-20-2021 05:18 AM

The Koni FSD and Bilstein B4/6 aren't even that expensive. They are no more even less than most budget coilovers.