Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2021, 04:21 AM   #1

Garage
Boroscoping

Since I´ve had some sooty exhaust pipes (only on passenger side, bank-1), I thought I´d check the cylinders out just to see if there might be any scoring.
I have no excessive ticking noice, or oil consumption so I´m not too worried, however, why not take a peek inside?

So, I have two basic questions:

1) What is the recommended routine? If I start by simply looking down the spark plug holes, some of the cylinders might be in bottom position and other in top position, should I manually crank the engine (via the front hatch) to get each cylinder in position for scoping? I´ve seen Jake scope via the sump to see the backside, I guess this is next level..

2) Anyone have a personal experience of what scope to buy? There are a lot out there... :-)

Last edited by Robert986; 01-26-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:26 AM   #2

Cranking the engine from the crankshaft in front would work. Just be sure to crank it clockwise (NEVER turn it counter clockwise). Jake looks up from the sump because it gives you a view of the bottom half of the cylinder, which is where the wear will begin and work its way up the cylinder. For your experiment, looking down the cylinder from the spark plug should be good.

How old is your AOS? When they start to go, they allow oil to enter the combustion chamber that eventually comes out the exhaust causing a sooty tailpipe. There's a better chance of you having a bad AOS than bore scoring.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:14 AM   #3

[QUOTE=husker boxster; Jake looks up from the sump because it gives you a view of the bottom half of the cylinder, which is where the wear will begin and work its way up the cylinder. [/QUOTE]

Yes, this is the most accurate way to determine cylinder scoring, but is not as easy as it sounds as you will have to 'snake the boroscope' from the sump into the bottom of the cylinders..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks boys!
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Cranking the engine from the crankshaft in front would work. Just be sure to crank it clockwise (NEVER turn it counter clockwise). Jake looks up from the sump because it gives you a view of the bottom half of the cylinder, which is where the wear will begin and work its way up the cylinder. For your experiment, looking down the cylinder from the spark plug should be good.

How old is your AOS? When they start to go, they allow oil to enter the combustion chamber that eventually comes out the exhaust causing a sooty tailpipe. There's a better chance of you having a bad AOS than bore scoring.
Hey husker, dumb question but here it goes. I've read to be er turn the crank counterclockwise but why? I know that the engine doesn't actually turn this way but are there components that will be damaged if it is done with ignition off and out of gear?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2021, 08:53 PM   #6

Post 11 explains it well.

Ran into problems replacing camshafts after pad replacement

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote